Intensive Polish - New or Reformulated Hyper Compound

Guest Driven Auto Detail

Guest Driven Auto Detail

Dr. G,

There's some confusion on another message board regarding Intensive Polish. According to the OPT release that was emailed out along with what Ron has stated in the "News" forum, Intensive Polish is a brand new product. However, other's are reporting that Intensive Polish is a reformulated version of the OLD Hyper Compound.

Can you clear up the confusion? Is Intensive Polish a brand new formulation, or a reformulation of the old Hyper Compound.

Also, can you tell us what kind of abrasives Hyper Compound, Intensive Polish & Hyper Polish use? I just read somewhere that Intensive Polish contained SMAT abrasives, but I thought all of the OPT correcting products were diminishing abrasives.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, obviously we'll see what Dr. G has to say, but I see things a lot differently than you do.

I can see how Intensive Polish would be considered a "new" product, as there wasn't a product called "Intensive Polish" before.

You have only allowed for two possibilities--that it's a "new formulation" or a "reformulation"...can't it just be the same formulation (what used to be called Hyper Compound) with a new name? I think it was pretty clear that was the case from what was posted here previously. The new (white) Hyper Compound would be a "new formulation" of that product (while the old formulation has been renamed Intensive Polish).

Also, I thought all of the OPT correcting products were SMAT, not diminishing abrasives.

Intensive Polish IS Hyper Compound before it was replaced. Because the new Hyper Compound is much more aggressive, it allowed Optimum to reslot the old formula as a medium cut product. FYI - the old Hyper Compound, now Intensive Polish, had just been reformulated. So the range is:

Hyper Compound - aggressive cut

Intensive Polish - medium cut

Hyper Polish - medium to light cut

of course the correction for all three are influenced by pad choice and machine speed

• 1 month later...

Also, can you tell us what kind of abrasives Hyper Compound, Intensive Polish & Hyper Polish use? I just read somewhere that Intensive Polish contained SMAT abrasives, but I thought all of the OPT correcting products were diminishing abrasives.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ron, can you give some feedback on this inquiry? i was under the impression that everything evolved to SMAT, since there was some hazing on some finishes with the DAT, but please let us know what the current situation is for the three Hyper products.

thanks.

Ron, can you give some feedback on this inquiry? i was under the impression that everything evolved to SMAT, since there was some hazing on some finishes with the DAT, but please let us know what the current situation is for the three Hyper products.

The lowdown:

Polish ll, Hyper Polish, Finish use SMAT.

All other Optimum polish/compound contain DAT

I'm with builthatch, I thought everything was SMAT now...so if Intensive Polish, Hyper Compound and Compound II are DAT...that means we have to make sure and work them until fully broken down to get the best results?

Optimum Australia are still saying Hyper Compound is SMAT

"Optimum Hyper Compound was developed at the request of a major automaker...... It utilises SMAT abrasives (Super Micro Abrasive Technology). One benefit of SMAT is that the abrasives don't break down (non-diminishing) and will continue to cut as long as you work the product" http://optimumcarcare.com.au/optimum-hyper-compound?options=cart

A few years ago Chris Thomas was saying all the range was SMAT http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=2010

• 2 weeks later...

According to Dr. G on the Autogeek video when you go to their product page...

he says in he video..Hypercompound is "SMAT"

With Hyper Polish...he says its a combination of SMAT and DAT

Well, that is two formulas ago for Hyper Compound, and one formula ago for Hyper Polish, but it still begs for some clarification.

Ron I think one of the issues is now we know some of the range are DAT based, this would presumably have an impact on the technique required. For example, using Menzerna does require a different approach to using Megs 205 or Hyper Polish. Or, is it possible the abrasives break down very quickly (with a pass or two) like the Scholl range.

I guess the SMAT/DAT description/designation doesn't really matter, but as Lowejackson pointed out, many of us learned to polish using DAT products, which frequently required us to completely break down the product to get the desired results, as some of them started out with quite large abrasives which diminished greatly, and if you didn't complete the breakdown cycle, you could be left with hazing from the large abrasives, or at least not as good a finish as you might have gotten.

The beauty of the SMAT abrasives was you didn't have to worry about where you were in the abrasive breakdown cycle, you buffed until you got the results you wanted, and then could stop.

So really we are asking what is the proper technique for these unique formulations, do we use them like a SMAT, or DAT, or neither? We're just looking to get the best results.

Archived