OC Prep: Please Clarify

Swanicyouth

So, its been said that if you use Optimum Polishes prior to OC, your good. I still do an IPA wipedown.

The question is, for some reason people always seem to recommend polishes from the Hyper Line. Is there some benefit to using the "Hyper" polishes over the regular polishes for OC prep? Or, doesn't it matter? Do they both leave equally friendly remnants behind that are OC friendly?

Another question is, I've been seeing people saying you can do an ONR wipedown prior to OC. Wouldn't the slick polymers in ONR remain on the surface and interfere with the OC? Same question with Optimum Finish Polish. The label states it contains polymers to avoid dusting/ dry buff. Can't these polymers interfere with OC?

I always do an IPA wipedown. But its been said you can just wipe with water. Wouldn't any polymers left from ONR or Optimum Finish Polish interfere with OC? Or, don't the polymers matter?

TIA!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The polish brand doesn't really matter just so long as it is not one that's loaded with durable fillers like Sonax Perfect Finish. The surface should be as leveled as you can get it and there should be no polish oils/residue left behind (like the polymers in Opt Finish Polish or the heavy oils Menzerna polishes can leave behind) - so you're on the right track with a wipedown with IPA or, more ideally, a product like CarPro Eraser or Menzerna Top Inspection right before you apply the OC. Anything left behind would interfere with the bonding, so the surface needs to be as "naked" as possible. ONR is definitely not a good choice for a pre-coating wipedown - good job on questioning that.

...there should be no polish oils/residue left behind (like the polymers in Opt Finish Polish) - so you're on the right track with a wipedown with IPA or, more ideally, a product like CarPro Eraser or Menzerna Top Inspection right before you apply the OC. Anything left behind would interfere with the bonding, so the surface needs to be as "naked" as possible. ONR is definitely not a good choice for a pre-coating wipedown - good job on questioning that.

Now wait a minute, I'm with Swanic, I remember the "company line" being that a damp cloth wipedown was all that was required after using any Optimum polishes. I Opti-Lensed some headlights recently and I used the OPT crème polishes, then washed with OPC (twice). I thought that was overkill, but now you are saying that what I did was really the "minimum"...if I had known that I would have proceeded to overkill level...what gives?

I understand that the surface has to be clean. But, I seem to remember Chris T saying if you use Optimum polishes, an IPA wipedown isn't even necessary, you can just wipe with water.

Not that I would do that, but part of my choice of Optimum polishes was a little extra "insurance" its compatible with OC.

The reason in so concerned about this is because I coated a vehicle in OC and in 6 mos it was gone. I used Wolfgang Polishes which I now know leave a lot behind that is not easy to remove.

I wish Optimum would just take the mystery out of it and make a prep product like Eraser. Also, Eraser leaves something behind for "anti-static", so who knows if that is even appropriate???

So, basically what is being said is, Optimum polishes are no different than anyone else's polishes?

Here is a thread: http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=1772

In there Chris refers to "Optimum polishes" as only needed a damp towel wipe before application. He also says you can ONR wash before OC. He also says they are working on a prep product.

I thought there were some "product wikis" around here but I can't find them. Honestly I don't know why we can't get the pertinent info on OC 2.0 in one post/document that talks about all these prep issues, layering/curing times, etc. Maybe there is one but I can't find it. Whenever I have questions like you do I have to piece together bits and pieces from various places which sometimes contradict each other.

Good thread but I never back down from my diagnosis ;)

Wash, decon, level/polish, wipe down, Opti-Coat - that process is universal and brand independent. I'm certainly not saying Chris/OPT are wrong there, but it makes life much easier if you can find a predictable, universal process: Wash, decon, level/polish, wipedown, Opti-Coat is a predictable, universal process. That's by no means the ONLY way to do it, but it will ALWAYS yield consistent results. You don't have to sit back and think "Well, I used Brand A polish, so I'll follow XYZ process." or "Since I used Brand B this time, now I'll use QRS process." Wash, decon, level/polish, wipedown, Opti-Coat. Done.

Eraser was designed ground-up as a pre-coating wipe down, so it is completely safe to use - its anti-static properties are actually there to prevent dust accumulating on the finish until a coating can be applied. Also makes an excellent glass cleaner!

Thanks for your input. Only reason I'm so picky about this is because my first round of OC failed. Only thing I could really think to blame it on is the Wolfgang polishes, and IPA didn't remove all the "remnants". I have now seen how WG polishes leaves something behind very durable.

If people say Eraser is OK, then its likely OK. So far, so good. My OC'ed roof and bumpers are still beading like crazy.

• 1 month later...

Time to update and clarify this post. With Opti-coat pro, it now comes with a dedicatd primer polish, and all that should be done is to remove the polish residue and apply, or ONR wash if you wish. When using the primer polish an IPA wipedown is actually counter productive. The Primer polish leaves behind a residue that acts as a catylist for OCpro. If you are using 2.0 the prefered method is to polish with Hyper polish, dry or ONR wipe and apply. Both the Hyper polish and OCP Primer polish clean teh paint of oils etc left behind from previous opperations.

Yes Hyper polish not the creme polishes. The Primer polish is just shipped with the Pro Opti-Coat , that said Hyper Polish will do the job quite well, not to mention on it's own right it's a great polish to use.

From the thread that I linked above:

You can use a water dampened microfiber to remove Optimum polish residue and go straight to Opti coat.

IIRC, in Chris's other posts around the internet world, he has stated that any of the crème/lotion polishes are all "compatible" with OC and just require the damp cloth removal, but you seem to be saying this only applies to the Hyper Polish. As I noted earlier in the thread, it would be nice if we could get all this info straight and in one place. I've been using Opti-Lens on headlights and license plate covers and have been using the crème polishes (Compound/Polish II/Finish) specifically to avoid any bonding issues and now you seem to be contradicting that method.

From the good Dr. Himself

Good Morning Yvan,All the polishes we make (Compound II, Polish II, Finish, Hyper Compound, Hyper Polish) are free of any oils that can affect the application of Opti-Coat. There is no need to use IPA or other solvents/chemicals to clean the surface prior to application of Opti-Coat. As you described, the Primer also has a catalyst to help the bonding and cross linking which the other polishes in our line do not have.Poli-Seal and GPS of course do contain waxes and oils and can not be used prior to Opti-Coat application. I hope this will clarify any confusion that still exists. Thank you for your help.Best Regards,David Ghodoussi, CEOOptimum Polymer Technologies, Inc.

Archived