Optimum Gloss-Coat

Ron Harris

Optimum Gloss-Coat™ is the most advanced polymer system that forms a layer of clear coat over automotive finishes. Optimum Gloss-Coat™ provides better scratch and mar resistance, better UV resistance, better chemical etch resistance, and has better release properties than any other consumer product while providing unsurpassed gloss and slickness. Additionally, you can top Optimum Gloss-Coat™ with any non-abrasive wax or sealant of your choice to add additional gloss and slickenss.

Optimum Gloss-Coat™ can be used to protect the following surfaces:

• painted surfaces
• wheels
• plastic trim
• bumpers
• aluminum & chrome surfaces

Since Optimum Gloss-Coat™ bonds to surfaces it is applied to, any paint imperfections must be removed with Optimum Polish II or Optimum Hyper Polish before application. Also all waxes and oils must be removed from the surfaces for proper bonding.

Directions:

1. Polish paint with Optimum Polish II or Optimum Hyper Polish to remove any defects.
2. Clean surface with 15% IPA solution to remove all polishing oils, waxes, and silicones.
3. Prime the applicator by making an X pattern across the pad. Only a few drops will be needed for each subsequent panel.
4. Wipe Optimum Gloss-Coat™ onto a single panel at a time in a thin layer using two directions, in a circular or front to back direction.
5. Within 5 minutes, inspect the panel with adequate lighting looking for any thick areas that have not flashed away to clear.
6. Use foam applicator or paint safe microfiber to even out any areas where you see streaks. This step is key, as any spots not leveled will have to be polished if allowed to cure. Panels will feel a bit tacky and will be self-leveling during cure time, so avoid any unnecessary touching, wiping, or contact to produce the best results.
7. Repeat steps 1-6 for each panel where application is desired.

Not recommended for glass.

Optimum Gloss Coat.png

Guest Driven Auto Detail

No, if you use Primer, no IPA wipe down is necessary, just make sure you wipe off any primer residue.

Great, thanks!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got a confirmation from Dr G - FerreX will not remove Gloss-Coat.

Ron, I'm a little confused about Ferrex. The description of the product says that it will remove wax and tar, which would indicate the presence of some type of solvent. However, no solvent is shown on the MSDS nor does the MSDS indicate flammability. The fact that it doesn't remove Gloss-Coat also seems a contraindication to solvent content.

I haven't gotten to try FerreX yet because I bought a big bottle of another iron remover just before FerreX was announced. Does it indeed remove tar, and if so, how?

Tar and wax can be removed with solvents or surfactants. While solvents dissolve tar and wax, surfactants emulsify it and dissolve it into rinse water. FerreX has a special blend of surfactants which makes it work better than solvents in removing wax and tar. At the same time, it does not remove Gloss Coat since it is chemically bonded to the surface.

.....I haven't gotten to try FerreX yet because I bought a big bottle of another iron remover just before FerreX was announced. Does it indeed remove tar, and if so, how?

Gave FerreX a quick try this afternoon. Sprayed on some small tar spots just to see how well it would work. First spray, left for 2 minutes and agitated with a brush before rinsing the panel. The outcome was no difference with the tar. Sprayed again and also sprayed one of the wheels. Left everything for just under 5 minutes (8C - 46F) and then rinsed the wheels and panel. Wheels looked much better and the tar was gone. So, after very limited playing I would say it will remove tar but no where near as quickly as a dedicated tar remover, on the other hand I could not leave a traditional tar remover for 5 minutes without risking some damage. Also much nicer smell than IronX.