Best method for cleaning MF pads after use...

twstd1

...I'm aware of Chris' response of throwing in the washer, but I'm more interested hearing from those that use a pad washer.

Seriously looking to purchase one of these units...except for one negative response from a fellow OCC enthusiast from another forum that stated subpar results with MF/pad washer.

Thanks for the replies!

My MF pads are black from OPS use on filthy vehicles.

Cleaning the MF's manually to my specs are a chore...guess I have to try out the washing machine method afterall.

You might have saved me an unnecessary expense.

Guest Driven Auto Detail

I have a pad washer and never use it. Wasted $120. It does an ok job, but I can do it in the sink or washer easier. JMO.

Add me to the list of peeps that have wasted $120 on a pad washer. Mine sits on a shelf in my garage collecting dust. I've tried selling it w/no luck at all. :(

What's everyone's go to way to clean pads besides hand/washer techniques? Its the worst maintenance that I have to do. MF pad wise I've found using a grit guard as a scraper dislodges a heck of a lot of the polish residue.

Always try DIY a pad washer.

for MF pads, I use a plastic wash board in the sink after blowing them out and brushing them a bit with a stiff pad brush. Just be careful not to drive the edge of the pad into the washboard, I have peeled the MF off the foam base in the past. after a brushing and blowing off, there is not a lot left in them to clean out, 3 sprays with GG pad cleaner and scrub for about 30 seconds each half.

I have the grit guard pad washer, and for foam pads there is nothing quicker for me.

Use the LC pad cleaner powder in the water, give the pad 2 sprays of the GG pad & MF cleaner, mount on the rotary @ 1500 RPM, and the pad is clean in ~ 2 min. I still use mine to this day, foam pads have never been cleaner, quicker.

Add me to the list of peeps that have wasted $120 on a pad washer. Mine sits on a shelf in my garage collecting dust. I've tried selling it w/no luck at all. :(

What I'm feeling also...too good to be true. Appreciate the honest feed back!

What's everyone's go to way to clean pads besides hand/washer techniques? Its the worst maintenance that I have to do. MF pad wise I've found using a grit guard as a scraper dislodges a heck of a lot of the polish residue.

Always try DIY a pad washer.

Sounds reasonable...

for MF pads, I use a plastic wash board in the sink after blowing them out and brushing them a bit with a stiff pad brush. Just be careful not to drive the edge of the pad into the washboard, I have peeled the MF off the foam base in the past. after a brushing and blowing off, there is not a lot left in them to clean out, 3 sprays with GG pad cleaner and scrub for about 30 seconds each half.

I have the grit guard pad washer, and for foam pads there is nothing quicker for me.

Use the LC pad cleaner powder in the water, give the pad 2 sprays of the GG pad & MF cleaner, mount on the rotary @ 1500 RPM, and the pad is clean in ~ 2 min. I still use mine to this day, foam pads have never been cleaner, quicker.

Are you guys using OPS?

good advice on how to not peel pads!

My air compressor is my MVP for microfiber pads. I always blow them out before priming, between panels & before washing.

I have an inline oiler... :nerd[1]: ...would hate to contaminate my pads... :yikes[1]:

• 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Regardless of the method I use to clean, I always use Power Clean to pre-treat for end of job washing, just like I do for any foam, wool, or microfiber pads. 5:1 is just fine for that purpose. 

I prefer to use the pad washer 4000 though. I have ONR in the wash bucket. This makes for great cleaning in between polishing cycles. End of day cleaning I start with Power Clean 5:1 as needed 

@dlc95 I also use ONR in my LC4000, but with OPT polishes it basically doesn't clean them. I pre-spray Power Clean 1:8 on the pad a couple times per car, to really clean the pad.

Is that your experience as well or am I doing something wrong? With other polishes, just ONR suffices.

MF pads I find the hardest ones to clean and the residue gums up on me. I actually have to hit those with a brush and power clean.

2 hours ago, Heijneker said:

@dlc95 I also use ONR in my LC4000, but with OPT polishes it basically doesn't clean them. I pre-spray Power Clean 1:8 on the pad a couple times per car, to really clean the pad.

Is that your experience as well or am I doing something wrong? With other polishes, just ONR suffices.

MF pads I find the hardest ones to clean and the residue gums up on me. I actually have to hit those with a brush and power clean.

You have to do what works for you.

Yes, even with Optimum polishes I pre spray with Power  Clean. I might not be adding enough ONR to my bucket though.