How do I gauge polish breakdown on a light color??

Recently acquired a Euro Yellow Pearl 02 Civic SiR. Really neat little hatchback but I am having a heck of a time polishing out the swirls. Even under work lights I can't really see the polish breaking down because the background is so light. The minute I turn on the buffer you can hardly even tell where the polish is anymore. Of course once I get out in the bright sun or under the halos at a gas station I can see the swirls if I look at the correct angle. I want them gone!!!!!!!!

Pat.

I am using Makita 9227C, Edge white and yellow pads, OFP, OP, OC and Megs105.

Recently acquired a Euro Yellow Pearl 02 Civic SiR. Really neat little hatchback but I am having a heck of a time polishing out the swirls. Even under work lights I can't really see the polish breaking down because the background is so light. The minute I turn on the buffer you can hardly even tell where the polish is anymore. Of course once I get out in the bright sun or under the halos at a gas station I can see the swirls if I look at the correct angle. I want them gone!!!!!!!!

Pat.

I am using Makita 9227C, Edge white and yellow pads, OFP, OP, OC and Megs105.

I would try using a couple of additional pads, in intermediate strengths, and after applieing one product, with one pad, wipe off the residue with a MF towel. Check the car in the light of day. ETC.

Start with the most abrasive combo and work towards the least abrasive.

I'm not saying to use some crazy amount of abbrasion. Start with what you think will work. If it isn't working, go to a more aggressive combo, then work to the lightest.

Also, have you clay barred the car?

If not, do that first.

I would try using a couple of additional pads, in intermediate strengths, and after applieing one product, with one pad, wipe off the residue with a MF towel. Check the car in the light of day. ETC.

Start with the most abrasive combo and work towards the least abrasive.

I'm not saying to use some crazy amount of abbrasion. Start with what you think will work. If it isn't working, go to a more aggressive combo, then work to the lightest.

Also, have you clay barred the car?

If not, do that first.

Yes clayed the car with Riccardo's yellow clay before. Amazed at the amount of rail dust and crap that came out of the finish. I will give another go at one of the panels on the car and then see how it turns out.

Pat.

Archived