Opti seal

Wise

Hi, can anyone tell me if optiseal is a pure sealant,or a hybrid.Discussions on another forum describe it as a hybrid,because it contains a solvent base,making drying time faster,and allowing it to etch into an underlying wax layer,which enables it to be used over Carnauba?The talk is that so called pure sealants,do not have a solvent base,so they can not be used over a wax,as oil and water do not mix?

Hi, can anyone tell me if optiseal is a pure sealant,or a hybrid.Discussions on another forum describe it as a hybrid,because it contains a solvent base,making drying time faster,and allowing it to etch into an underlying wax layer,which enables it to be used over Carnauba?The talk is that so called pure sealants,do not have a solvent base,so they can not be used over a wax,as oil and water do not mix?

Thank you for bringing this question to the forum. I can not speak about other brands and I limit my reply to Optimum line and specifically Opti-Seal. I am not sure where water is entering into this discussion since there is no water in Opti-Seal.

Opti-Seal is a highly concentrated formula containing sealant polymers dissolved in a solvent. Once it is applied to any surface, it will bond to it and cross-links fully within 12 hours. The sealant polymers react with moisture which is why you can not have any water in this product.

If there is any wax on the surface, Opti-Seal will dissolve it and the polymers will go to the surface and the wax will migrate to the top. This is due to the difference in the surface tension of wax and sealant. I hope this helps answer your question. Thanks again.

David,

• 1 month later...
The sealant polymers react with moisture which is why you can not have any water in this product.

I found out that the hard way the other day. 100 degrees and high humidity so I was sweating quite a bit and some of it landed on the paint as I was applying Opti-Seal. Leaves some pretty wicked streaks! Hit the area with a little QID and then went back over it again with OS. Lesson learned.

Archived