Two buckets?

A question for Optimum and all you ONR users: Is it safer to use two buckets when giving my car an ONR wash (one bucket filled with the water/ONR solution and the rinse bucket filled with water)? I have been using just one bucket--figuring that if two buckets was optimal then Optimum would have instructed us to use two buckets--but I have to admit that I still feel a tad uneasy about it, even after many ONR washes. Am I just being paranoid? What is your advice? TIA.

Al

Nope, one bucket will suffice. There is absolutely no need to use a second "rinse" bucket... thus the product name, "Optimum NO RINSE Wash and Shine". What most of us WILL recommend is to use a grit-guard at the bottom of your bucket to prevent your micro-fiber towels from soaking in any of the dirt that you may have already washed off of the vehicle. If you don't already have a grit-guard, go check out the Danase Dirt Dropper thread for a great product review.

Nope, one bucket will suffice. There is absolutely no need to use a second "rinse" bucket... thus the product name, "Optimum NO RINSE Wash and Shine". What most of us WILL recommend is to use a grit-guard at the bottom of your bucket to prevent your micro-fiber towels from soaking in any of the dirt that you may have already washed off of the vehicle. If you don't already have a grit-guard, go check out the Danase Dirt Dropper thread for a great product review.

Thanks for the reply! How about the rest of you ONR users? Do you agree that using two buckets is unnecessary? I posted this query over at the S2000 forum, and a faithful user replied with a photo of two buckets, which show a clear difference between the rinse bucket and the ONR bucket.

What is it about ONR that makes a rinse bucket unnecessary? (I am using a grit guard, by the way, in my ONR bucket.) I am not questioning SoCalDS's experience here. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation. I have a black car in which I instill swirls just by looking at, so I suppose I'm just a bit sensitive and am seeking to find the safest way to use the product; on the other hand, if a rinse bucket is redundant, then I see no need to adopt it. I do wonder, also, if the use of the rinse bucket results in a dilution of the ONR during the course of the wash. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Al

Thanks for the reply! How about the rest of you ONR users? Do you agree that using two buckets is unnecessary? I posted this query over at the S2000 forum, and a faithful user replied with a photo of two buckets, which show a clear difference between the rinse bucket and the ONR bucket.

What is it about ONR that makes a rinse bucket unnecessary? (I am using a grit guard, by the way, in my ONR bucket.) I am not questioning SoCalDS's experience here. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation. I have a black car in which I instill swirls just by looking at, so I suppose I'm just a bit sensitive and am seeking to find the safest way to use the product; on the other hand, if a rinse bucket is redundant, then I see no need to adopt it. I do wonder, also, if the use of the rinse bucket results in a dilution of the ONR during the course of the wash. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Al

I am going to speculate but the 2 bucket method with any wash routine is about reducing chances of swirls but how much we do not know. If you use a bucket full of a good soap (lots of solution), rinse it well in the bucket between panels, use a good wash medium, wipe work top down, wipe lightly, etc. the 2 bucket method is not going to add much for relatively clean cars. I wish there was a study but I am guessing the drying process is as dangerous as the wash process.

I concur with Integrity, using 2 buckets is not overkill if it fits your needs. In our case we use one 5 gallon bucket for 8-10 cars, with the aforementioned grit guard, works great. As for potential marring I have found that 95% comes from drying a car that is not clean enough to dry, sometimes you will need to go over the panel twice or even 3 times to get it clean. IF your drying towel is getting dirty, you need to wash more before drying. Also a shot of OID or OCW on the panel before drying it will just make you happier with the results, the products are compatible, and a joy to work with.

Archived