Optimum Opti-Coating - Durability Test Review!!!

Pro-TEcht

The purpose of this test is to document the durability and effectiveness of Optimum Opti-Coat. Unlike mainstream polymer paint sealants & waxes, this coating is not offered to the general public and is only sold to licensed and insured professional detailers. After hearing several people raving about the results of this new product I reached out to Dr. Ghodoussi @ Optimum to discuss its properties as well as the marketing direction this product is intended to satisfy. I suggested to Dr. G that I’d like to do an independent test on my new company car to see if this product is as good as everyone claims. He showed a moderate amount of interest at 1st, but when I told him that I’d only be washing only with Dawn dish soap & harsh Touchless car washes he became even more awakened to say the least. To add fuel to the fire, I told him that I’d only be applying the product to ½ the vehicle and the paint on the factory hood would be sanded flat to test the product’s UV ability. We’ll, the rest is history…..

Here are the particulars on the car. 2010 Ford Fusion – Silver clear coat metallic. I contacted my sales rep@ Plantation Ford (Plantation, FL) to insist that nobody lay a single hand on my car except the Tech to do the mechanical prepping. This one came 100% defect free.

2010Fusion004.jpg

2010Fusion002.jpg

Here’s how it beaded with ZERO protection:

FUSION005.jpg

FUSION006.jpg

FUSION007.jpg

Top horizontal place of the hood was sanded 95% flat. I used 3M 1500 Trizact(wet) with my Porter Cable XP on speed 3.5. This clear is ROCK HARD & I ended up going through 5 discs of paper on just the hood!! I then refined the 1500 with 3M 3000 grit Trizact(wet).

Prep008.jpg

Prep012.jpg

Prep013.jpg

Prep022.jpg

Prep020.jpg

I then removed the sand scratches with Meg’s M105 via Lake Country Cyan (blue) by PC using the Kevin Brown Method (KBM). I then followed with Meg’s M205 via CL White via PC too.

Prep027.jpg

50/50 Sanded Shots:

Prep029.jpg

Prep031.jpg

Prep034.jpg

Prep035.jpg

As you can see, there is quite a large difference in texture after the sanding process. I’m anxious to see if any premature failure occurs (on either side) as this car will be parked 100% outside and runs at least 8 hours per day, 5 days a week in the hot S. Florida climate!

Prep043.jpg

Orange Peel (no sanding):

Prep044.jpg

Orange Peel (after sanding):

Prep045.jpg

PREP PROCESS

Beading with M205 oils:

Prep056.jpg

Alcohol Wipe Down:

Prep080.jpg

Prep082.jpg

The Driver’s Side of vehicle was taped off for application of the sealant:

Application001.jpg

Application002.jpg

Application003.jpg

Tools used for application of the Coating:

Application007.jpg

Coating was applied to every square inch of the Driver’s side of vehicle (paint/chrome/trim/glass):

Application011.jpg

Application019.jpg

After the coating was allowed to “set up”, the tape was removed and the residual was wiped towards/into the applied section. This was to cut down the “hard line” and to not cross contaminate the uncoated side (to eliminate a sque result).

Application016.jpg

Application021.jpg

This is what the coating looks like after it’s completely dry. I used a product dampened applicator and pushed down on an inconspicuous area of the back glass. This product is literally like an epoxy-like coating of glass. This will be interesting to watch as time goes on:

Application025.jpg

After coating is applied:

Prep003.jpg

Prep004.jpg

Prep005.jpg

Here’s 1 of the 2 ways this vehicle will be washed. The other will be with Dawn.

touchlesswash010.jpg

touchlesswash025.jpg

touchlesswash030.jpg

As you can see, after roughly 1 month beading is very strong:

Frost on car:

WINDSHIELD007.jpg

WINDSHIELD008.jpg

WINDSHIELD010.jpg

• 4 months later...

6 MONTH UPDATE

Well the 6 month mark has snuck up quickly and this product is outperforming my expectations by a mile!! I’ve been religiously washing my car with a weekly dose of Dawn dish soap as well as monthly trips to the Touchless Automatic and I can honestly say this product’s durability has gone unchanged from the day I 1st applied it. I’ve closely watched it’s characteristics on a regular basis under several environments and it is truly an amazing product. In all my years (decades) of car care, I have never seen another product or concept defy mainstream and unconventional properties like this product. It’s nothing like I originally thought it would be to say the least. In laymen’s terms; it’s basically like applying an additional layer of clearcoat that constantly beads water. In addition to this, it’s cleaning power and scratch resistancy is unparelled to any other. I look forward to continued testing and at this point have confidence that this product will most likely outlast my companionship with this vehicle (approximately 2 years). I’ll be updating this thread as needed and will be testing this coating against other mainstream sealants to compare their durability in regards to my wash methods employed.

Remember: Entire Driver’s side of vehicle has been coated (glass/paint/trim/wheels)

Basic shots of morning dew (surface is dirty too):

Picture041.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Rinsed off:

Picture055.jpg

Picture049.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Picture052.jpg

I took a trip across the state a few weeks ago and got slammed with Love Bugs! Here’s the results of the cleaning power this product has on bug guts that were left on for about 2 weeks.

I used the wipers and as you can see the coated side (driver) easily sheds the debris. The passenger doesn’t:

Uncoated/Bare (passenger):

Picture458.jpg

Picture467.jpg

Coated (driver):

Picture473.jpg

Picture464.jpg

I then used my pressure washer(~1500 psi) to pre-blast the bugs off the finish prior to hand washing:

Picture482.jpg

Picture475.jpg

Observe the beading strength on the coating:

Picture481.jpg

Picture479.jpg

After the initial bug blasting, I used a leaf blower to dry the front end (didn’t want to wipe a towel across the still dirty paint):

Picture485.jpg

Here’s the results documenting the cleaning ability of this product after 6 months on a surface:

Coated:

Picture486.jpg

Picture496.jpg

Picture489.jpg

Uncoated:

Picture487.jpg

Picture497.jpg

Picture491.jpg

Additional Comparison:

Picture488.jpg

Picture490.jpg

Picture494.jpg

• 6 months later...

1 YEAR REVIEW

Here is my 1 year observation on the Optimum Opti-Coating. The product is holding up incredibly well. Even after weekly hand washes with Dawn Dish soap and monthly Touchless car washing. As a refresher, the entire Driver’s side ½ of this vehicle has been treated with the coating. This includes paint, chrome, textured trim, plastic and glass. No Wax, Sealants, Waterless washes or Quick Detailers have ever been used anywhere on the exterior of this vehicle. There are no discernable differences or loss in protection, beading, shine, gloss with the product or vehicle thus far. It has outperformed my expectations in every aspect that I can imagine. The only section that has “failed” is the portion of the windshield where the wipers run over(due to friction). The areas around it have diminished quite a bit, but are still shedding water very differently than the uncoated passenger side. Bottom line, the product is sticking to the finish like a refrigerator magnet!! Still easy to clean, does not get heavy build up of road oils, even at it’s most dirtiest moment. Just a quick blast of the pressure washer removes 90% of any dirt buildup. Most conclusions are based on comparisons to the characteristics of the uncoated sides as well as past vehicles I’ve cared for throughout my 20+ years of reconditioning vehicles.

Here’s a quick video I filmed with my Smart phone to document some of the characteristics on the coating:

th_008.jpg

In addition to the coating testing, Dawn dish soap has not damaged any part of this vehicle thus far. Even bare metal components show no signs of corrosion like many people warned. The paint is as glossy on the untreated side as it is on the treated one. Rubber seals, weather stripping and belt moldings are still in like new condition. And this vehicle is not garage kept and can stay running for up to 8+ hours per day in the brutally hot S. Florida salty environment.

As a side note, because this vehicles has a tendency of spending up to 8+ hours per day at various Body Shops, there is a slight bit of overspray on it. This undoubtedly has effected the way the water beads as the water is beading on a surface speckled with paint overspray rather than a bare one. After discussing this issue with Dr. G, he supplied me with their Water Spot Remover. I will be testing this product, coupled with a fine grade clay bar to clean the coating. Even though the coating is still strongly on the surface, it may require additional topcoat cleaning as a maintenance type of service. This may vary based on climate and environmental surroundings.

WaterSpotRemover001.jpg

Archived