ONR degrades all waxes?

Flakey

Is it true that ONR alters the look, sheeting and beading properties of any wax? It leaves behind a lot of polymers that will completely alter the wax underneath? Is it then best to stay within the Optimum family and use either OCW or OS instead of a wax from another manufacturer?

I have a coat of Victoria Concours Red Wax on my car and after washing with ONR today I noticed it looks more glassy then before. I have water restrictions and can't use anything other than ONR. Am I wasting my time and money on expensive waxes as ONR doesn't play well with them?

Anything that is left on the surface has the potential to alter the look. But that does not mean the wax itself has been degraded.

I have not noticed a change using ONR on top of the Dodo Juice SNH on my wife's car.

Anything that is left on the surface has the potential to alter the look. But that does not mean the wax itself has been degraded.

I have not noticed a change using ONR on top of the Dodo Juice SNH on my wife's car.

Probably because SNH is a sealant that sheets/looks like a sealant. ONR also sheets. You would notice the difference on any wax like Blue Velvet or Purple Haze though.

Flakey, I would tend to agree with Nutbread, applying almost any product to a wax eg shampoo, QD etc will slightly alter the perception of the wax. I would suspect that another firms waxes (ie non Optimum) products are also changed even when using their shampoo and QD's. These product may increase the shine or offer greater protection but will add something which sits on top of their wax. My view is ONR is quite a mild product and will not damage any wax too much. Perhaps another way of looking at this is to say the short lived stuff which ONR leaves behind is offering some additional protection to the wax, which in turn is protecting the paint.

Like you, I am limited to using a rinseless wash and maybe this is the inevitable trade off for ease of use. I do not really see this as a negative and maybe the tough environment in which you live plays a far more important role in the look and degrading of a wax than something like ONR.

........ Does anybody from Optimum eevr respond to any of the threads here? Just wanted to hear their side of the story.

Since Chris Thomas stopped his formal role on this forum there does not really seem to be anyone from Optimum who can help us. I know (and appreciate) Chris does still post here every now and then but it would be nice to see some expert i.e. manufacturer help

• 4 months later...

Archived