OP makes pads bubble?

Pat

:( someone stole my bag of polishes right before detailing the explorer. I don't know what the theves will do with a bag full of polishes, so its a lose lose.

I contacted every detailer in Calgary, asking to buy unused polishes many came though for me, but Jed Bouscal ended up selling be a bottle of OP last minute.

I did a test spot on this explorer before with OP and it got rid of the swirls pretty good. After using a little bit of OP, I noticed it wasn't really removing all the swirls, only the really light ones. The panels had good gloss, but they were still full of swirls. Heres my biggest problem, after inspecting my pads I noticed that where i had put drops of OP the pad had bubbled. I really don't know how to explain it, I don't think this happened last time, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

I might be able to get pics up later.

Thanks In Advance!

-Pat

Did you use any kind of pad conditioner? I noticed when I did the first time, it bubbled. I haven't used the conditioner since and haven't seen the bubbles again. I believe it was XMT pad conditioner.

sounds like you are using too much polish. one of the great things about the Optimum line up is that you use very little. it will take some getting used to as other lines you would use more. to prime the pad put some polish on it ( maybe the size of a nickel ) and spread it on the paint and turn it on and work your area. after the first section you will use a lot less as in a pea sized amount for a half a panel. if you ever move up to a rotary you will notice more cut with the op and it's lubricating oils make it very user friendly for rotary newbies :( never seen a pad bubble. hope this helps you out.

:(

lesson learned. I washed the pads today, and they stayed like that.

EDIT: Rob did your pads go back to normal? :cool2[1]: it sucks that i have to throw away 2 new cutting pads

Yeah they did but I had to wash and dry them a few times. What type of pads do you use?

EDIT: Rob did your pads go back to normal? :( it sucks that i have to throw away 2 new cutting pads

Wow sorry to hear that the pads are still not looking good after the issue you had with them. maybe washing and drying them like the other poster did may bring them back for you. let us know how it goes for you. have my fingers crossed that your pads return to normal.

EDIT: Rob did your pads go back to normal? :cool2[1]: it sucks that i have to throw away 2 new cutting pads

Wow sorry to hear that the pads are still not looking good after the issue you had with them. maybe washing and drying them like the other poster did may bring them back for you. let us know how it goes for you. have my fingers crossed that your pads return to normal.

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure they won't change back. The foam where OP was is quite a bit softer than the surrounding foam. I did some searching and I seem to be the only one who has ever experience this :(!

I have OHC and OC coming my way, so I hope they won't cause the samething. :( At least the guy with the Explorer was a repeat customer, not a new one. I just told him that I would fix everything when I got my new products in and he said it was okay.

I had to face with the exact same issue yesterday. I used OHC with an orange Menzerna pad (dunno the supplier; 13.5 cm low profile pad), and where the polish was touching the pad, the foam has softened and bubbled up/out. It was strange, because one drop landed on the edge of the pad an it looked like a mole or wart.

I've worked with it for about an hour then I washed the pad. It returned to normal immediately as the water has saturated the pad. I'm using the correct amounts, I'm not using any pad conditioners, the pad is absolutely clean, pristine, it was only the second use of it; the first was with Poli-Seal.

Due to the softening, the cut of the pad decreased significantly, so I have to use an even more aggressive pad next time.

Go figure.

:thumbsupup[1]: good to know that i am not the only one. Maybe it only happens if the product is really old...but this one was the new formula.

I am going to try washing my pads with snappy clean and simple green...hopefully I can get them back!

:thumbsupup[1]: good to know that i am not the only one. Maybe it only happens if the product is really old...but this one was the new formula.

I am going to try washing my pads with snappy clean and simple green...hopefully I can get them back!

• 4 weeks later...

Doctor G. wrote me: "This has to do with the urethane foam absorbing some of the components of Optimum Polish and expanding. It is more a function of the type of urethane material (polyester vs. polyether, etc.) used by some manufacturers."

Archived