Questions for Dr. G on Opti Clean

CEE DOG

Dr. David Ghodoussi, my name is Corey. I met you at Detail Fest in March of this year. I appreciated your time and expertise and it was some of the best conversation I had while their. Not sure if you remember me by name but one of the things we discussed was ONR and my lack of desire in using it as a rinseless wash. After talking with you about ONR I was convinced and I did use it. It worked out great as you had promised and I wrote a review on AG as I had agreed to do. I really appreciate all the Optimum products I've used and have recently also reviewed your Optimum Opti Clean. When you have some time, I and those who follow my reviews would love to hear your answers to any and all of the following questions.

1. - For what reason would someone not just use ONR in the place of OOC for the purpose of cleaning paint. What I mean is: When a car is at the stage where OOC would be a good solution for cleaning, why not use ONR in a spray bottle and MF towels to achieve the same result?

2A.- Will Opti Clean have any negative affects on looks, durability, or protection if a sealant or wax is applied directly after using it? Context: Someone has washed their car at night and decided to come back to it in the morning to seal. Because of the condensation on their vehicle they decide to wipe it down with Opti Clean before sealing.

2B.- Same question for ONR

2C.- Same question for OID

3A. - What are the finer points of reasoning on the ONR directions stating to use a MF towel rather then a wash mitt or other media? I prefer using an MF towel but would like to know the reasoning behind that being specifically stated.

3B. - Do you have a preference on the type of MF towel used? (Waffle Weave, Buffing Towel, etc)

4. - What is the main difference in OOC and ONR? What I mean is: Is their something interesting you can point to that wouldn't require us to be chemists to understand? Such as: Do they have a much different PH? Does one contain much more protective polymers then the other? Which has a stronger cleaning ability if used in the same way?

5.- Do the polymers in OOC have any level of UV protection in them?

I hope this gets to you so I can post your answers to these questions for those who are interested in your products. I would have called but prefered to have the questions answered in print as I don't want to misquote you.

Here is my review of OOC http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=1236&hl=

Oh, also I should thank Chris (Integrity Detail) for inviting me over to this site. Thanks Chris!

Thanks for your time,

Corey

Dr. David Ghodoussi, my name is Corey. I met you at Detail Fest in March of this year. I appreciated your time and expertise and it was some of the best conversation I had while their. Not sure if you remember me by name but one of the things we discussed was ONR and my lack of desire in using it as a rinseless wash. After talking with you about ONR I was convinced and I did use it. It worked out great as you had promised and I wrote a review on AG as I had agreed to do. I really appreciate all the Optimum products I've used and have recently also reviewed your Optimum Opti Clean. When you have some time, I and those who follow my reviews would love to hear your answers to any and all of the following questions.

1. - For what reason would someone not just use ONR in the place of OOC for the purpose of cleaning paint. What I mean is: When a car is at the stage where OOC would be a good solution for cleaning, why not use ONR in a spray bottle and MF towels to achieve the same result?

2A.- Will Opti Clean have any negative affects on looks, durability, or protection if a sealant or wax is applied directly after using it? Context: Someone has washed their car at night and decided to come back to it in the morning to seal. Because of the condensation on their vehicle they decide to wipe it down with Opti Clean before sealing.

3A. - What are the finer points of reasoning on the ONR directions stating to use a MF towel rather then a wash mitt or other media? I prefer using an MF towel but would like to know the reasoning behind that being specifically stated.

3B. - Do you have a preference on the type of MF towel used? (Waffle Weave, Buffing Towel, etc)

4. - What is the main difference in OOC and ONR? What I mean is: Is their something interesting you can point to that wouldn't require us to be chemists to understand? Such as: Do they have a much different PH? Does one contain much more protective polymers then the other? Which has a stronger cleaning ability if used in the same way?

I hope this gets to you so I can post your answers to these questions for those who are interested in your products. I would have called but prefered to have the questions answered in print as I don't want to misquote you.

Here is my review of OOC http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=1236&hl=

Oh, also I should thank Chris (Integrity Detail) for inviting me over to this site. Thanks Chris!

Thanks for your time,

Corey

Hi Corey,

Thank you for joining the Optimum forum and for using the Optimum Car Care products. I do remember our conversation about No Rinse at Detailfest and I appreciate that you decided to try it out since then. I appreciate also your thorough review of Opti-Clean and I will try to do the same in answering your questions below.

No Rinse used as a quick detailer works fine for a car with light dust while Opti-Clean can be used on a car with several days of build up. The reason is that Opti-Clean contains the same polymers in No Rinse that encapsulate dirt but at a much higher concentration than No Rinse QD as well as other polymers not used in No rinse that offer more lubricity and gloss.

Based on the chemistry of these products (Opti-Clean, No rinse, Instant Detailer), there should be no bonding issues or affects on the longevity of waxes or sealants when you use these products before or after application of waxes or sealants. The protective film these products leave behind is dissolved and removed by the chemical solvents and abrasives used in waxes or sealants. None of these products contain detergents or solvents to remove waxes or sealants and therefore they only add protection not remove them.

The reason we recommend Microfiber towels is that there are anywhere from 50,000 fibers per square inch for an average microfiber to 200,000 fibers per square inch for a very plush Microfiber towel. These pores are active sites to trap dirt and remove it from the surface. Therefore you get a much greater cleaning and protecting effect from a microfiber towel than a wool mitt, etc. The towels we offer are on the upper end of the range I mentioned. The only draw back when using a Microfiber towel as the wash media is that it is hard to remove the dirt that is trapped by No Rinse from the towel unless you use a strong detergent like Power Clean.

Another great wash media is a soft sponge (minimum 80 PPI) that works great for washing with No Rinse. The advantages of sponge over Microfiber is that dirt particles can get adsorbed into the sponge and away from the surface. We are working with a foam manufacturer to develop a mitt that not only is safe and gentle for the automotive paint but also has good cleaning and dirt release properties. Once we complete all the testing and development, we will make this new foam mitt available to help make the wash process with Optimum No Rinse easier.

While both of these products are pH neutral, Opti-Clean contains much higher levels of polymers than No Rinse as well as some new polymers that we developed for this type of application. The added polymers are necessary to compensate for using a fraction of the water as compared to a regular No Rinse wash.

You do get some level of UV protection from the reflection effects as well as some sacrificial UV protection (the polymers breaking down rather than the paint). But for UV protection, you need specific compounds designed to block UV light. The main product we offer for exterior application that provides the most UV protection is Optimum Car Wax which contains these specific chemicals to block UV light.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

David,

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all of my questions so thoroughly. This is exactly what I needed and I'm very happy to be able to pass it on!

Thanks again,

Corey

• 9 years later...
On 9/20/2010 at 5:07 PM, Doctor G said:

The reason we recommend Microfiber towels is that there are anywhere from 50,000 fibers per square inch for an average microfiber to 200,000 fibers per square inch for a very plush Microfiber towel. These pores are active sites to trap dirt and remove it from the surface. Therefore you get a much greater cleaning and protecting effect

On 9/20/2010 at 5:07 PM, Doctor G said:

Another great wash media is a soft sponge (minimum 80 PPI) that works great for washing with No Rinse. The advantages of sponge over Microfiber is that dirt particles can get adsorbed into the sponge and away from the surface.

Considering these statements, what would be the safest wash media for paint: the Big Red Sponge or multiple plush open loop microfiber towels?

Of course in conjunction with ONR. Also, would a higher concentration of ONR result in a safer wash?

I think Dr G answered your question about the safest media, though the introduction of the plush open loop MF has closed the gap.  The difference is close enough to make the choice a personal preference.  Increasing ONR concentration does not improve cleaning power or provide a safer wash but does increase the softening effect on really hard water.  It can also result in streaking.