Is there any reason to/not to use ONR at a stronger dilution than suggested?

new55

Rather than use 1 oz per 2 gallons of water for a no rinse wash, is there any added benefit (or anything negative aside from cost) to using it at a stronger ratio (i.e. throwing in another oz of ONR)? Similarly for the clay lube ratio, any reason not to use it any stronger just to be 'safe' and further reduce risk of scratches?

Essentially, if money were not a concern, would it make any sense to a) throw in 2 or 3 oz of ONR to 2 gallons of water for a wash (to make it that much better), and B) just make a big batch of QD strength ONR and then use that not only for QD, but also for a clay lube?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I've been using ONR (v2) since the 1st of Sept and I'm very satisfied. I tend to use the QD-strength dilution (6oz/gallon) in a garden sprayer, which naturally yields good results and gives me peace-of-mind. Generally I go for a pre-soak spray on a section, leave it to sit for 2minutes, then wipe with a folded MF towel dampened with the ONR solution. I probably could revert to the recommend 2oz/gallon wash strength, but I really am happiest with the QD strength. The gallon jug will see me through to the end of November (3 months), which I think is reasonable.

The main reason for using ONR is the water-saving benefit. With normal shampoo washing and rinsing using the hose, I'd guess I was using upwards of 20 gallons at a time (yikes!!!). These days I use 2 gallons of water to clean the car and about 5-6 gallons to clean my MF cloths afterwards.

:thumbsupup[1]:

• 5 weeks later...

I've been using ONR (v2) since the 1st of Sept and I'm very satisfied. I tend to use the QD-strength dilution (6oz/gallon) in a garden sprayer, which naturally yields good results and gives me peace-of-mind. Generally I go for a pre-soak spray on a section, leave it to sit for 2minutes, then wipe with a folded MF towel dampened with the ONR solution. I probably could revert to the recommend 2oz/gallon wash strength, but I really am happiest with the QD strength. The gallon jug will see me through to the end of November (3 months), which I think is reasonable.

The main reason for using ONR is the water-saving benefit. With normal shampoo washing and rinsing using the hose, I'd guess I was using upwards of 20 gallons at a time (yikes!!!). These days I use 2 gallons of water to clean the car and about 5-6 gallons to clean my MF cloths afterwards.

:thumbsupup[1]:

Are you saying that you're not using a bucket at all?

No, he uses QD as a presoak and ONR in a bucket to actually DO the wash part. Lot's of people do the presoak to minimize marring rather than just dragging the wet media across a dry panel.

Are you sure about that? All I'm seeing him say is that he uses a "damp" towel with ONR. The damp part is what concerning me.

I too pre soak before washing with ONR.

• 1 year later...

I use the Nomad pressure washer and mist the sections. Then use a 5 gallon bucket with about 3-4 gallons of water with regular ONR dilution rates. Two micro fiber towels, first one ring out only until very wet, go over section, NO CIRCLES. Then its back into the bucket, follow with second micro same procedure. Then maybe a spray and a half of the detailer and dry. PERFECT!

Archived