A question about application of poly-seal

ehall

This is what is print on the top of the line site.

"Poli-Seal Facts:

Optimum Poli-Seal, Optimum Polish and Optimum Compound form a unique relationship. The Sealant can be applied directly over the residue left by the Polish or Compound! There is no need to remove the residue from these products before applying the Poli-Seal.

Poli-Seal will absorb and remove the polish residue and leave the surface with a very thin film that wipes off like butter! That's correct. Not only will this save time and effort, but you will also perform the final polish and seal the finish, all at once."

Anthony, what do you think of the way this discription is sugesting to apply this product? Do you apply PS over either of the above products yourself, or do you buff off the residue of each before moving on to each next step?

This is what is print on the top of the line site.

"Poli-Seal Facts:

Optimum Poli-Seal, Optimum Polish and Optimum Compound form a unique relationship. The Sealant can be applied directly over the residue left by the Polish or Compound! There is no need to remove the residue from these products before applying the Poli-Seal.

Poli-Seal will absorb and remove the polish residue and leave the surface with a very thin film that wipes off like butter! That's correct. Not only will this save time and effort, but you will also perform the final polish and seal the finish, all at once."

Anthony, what do you think of the way this discription is sugesting to apply this product? Do you apply PS over either of the above products yourself, or do you buff off the residue of each before moving on to each next step?

It depends on the time I have. If I have the luxury of time on my side I'll remove the residue from each step but if I am pressed for time I will usually go right over the product residue. For example I may buff the paint with Hyper compound and then go right over that with Optimum Polish. I usually only go 2 steps without removing the residue, so I'll remove the residue before the 3rd step. If I were sealing the paint with PoliSeal after my 2 steps with Hyper and Polish I would remove the residue prior to using PoliSeal.

If you just use the Polish you can go right over that residue with the PoliSeal and have no ill effects. Same goes for the spray wax, you can go over the Polish residue with the spray wax also.

PoliSeal buffs out clear so don't expect a haze to appear, in fact it seems to stay wet longer tghan the polish and compound. Buff the PoliSeal for a good while then use those new plush towels to remove. Happy Detailing!!

Hope that helps,

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I read at other forums that OPS has a learning curve... Dunno, for me, the use of OPS is very intuitive, no learning curve at all. I think it is a fantastic product!

I'm one of those that experienced the learning curve. I was expecting to work it in like polish, but it really just melts into the paint. Because of that, I found myself using too much product, which resulted in areas of "gunking." The trick is to use enough to keep product on your paint, but you don't neccessarily need to see it hazing up your paint.

You'll always want to prime your applicator surface first with an amount about the size of a quarter.....for say half of a average sedan size hood.....after that initial prime you should be able to use a smaller amount of product.

Too much product is not only a waste but also can also be problematic in that you have what I call "floating" of the excess product. In other words there is so much excess product that it doesn't have any where to go but "float" around on the paint. It looks like swirl marks bt just excess product. When this happens to me I back off on amount and grab a new microfiber wiping cloth.

Anthony

Listen to Anthony guys. Yep, that's a characteristic to every Optimum polishing product. When you keep this Golden Rule in mind, you won't have learning curves at all.

Technically, when you overapply a product which has a powder package in it, you are finely balancing on 1.) lubrication, 2.)surface wetting and 3.) powder contact. If you use too much product, the abrasives are unable to strike through the thick buffing film and the overlubricated product just slides, skates over itself without being effective. Use less and the powder contact will be significantly better, therefore the effectivity of the product will be optimal.

I'm using very little - but yes, the amounts are a little more than the 1-2 pea sized drops I use with the polishes. However, after priming the pad, you can almost instinctively feel the amounts needed. I tried to apply *too little* but with no adverse effect. What was the symptom for you Patrick?

One typical user error is to expect a trace or residue. OPS may leave a faint trace behind the moving pad but it disappears immediately.

Archived