Correcting clear coat spots that are under the OptiCoat 2

Walt

I have recently done a Sapphire Black BMW with the OptiCoat 2 and I am delighted with the results. I think it's a remarkable product. The paint was well corrected with the Optimum Polish II, which I also like very much. As carefully as I examined the corrected paint with florescent, halogen and LED lights before applying the OC2, I have since discovered a few defects (water spot etching) on the roof that I would like to correct with the OP II. The OC2 has been on the car about two weeks in fairly warm weather. I know from reading the forum that by etching the original OC2 with the OP II, a new coat of OC2 will adhere to any OC2 remaining on the surface after the new polishing is done. But I'd like to redo just the few spots and not the entire roof panel, which is quite large on this 750i. So there will be only three 1-2" diameter areas that I would polish. There will be a boundary where the "etched" areas from the new OP II corrections stop and the undisturbed (unpolished) original OC2 begins. Will there be a blending problem here? What does the OC2 do in areas where it does not adhere to unpolished OC2? How should this issue be handled? Many thanks, Walt

• 2 months later...

For those who are interested, I received a reply directly from Optimum and their suggestion worked perfectly. I was able to correct the water spots with OP II, cleaned with in IA solution and then reapplied the OC2 to the polished areas and the immediate areas that surrounded them. Where the new layer of OC2 was applied over older OC2 (around the edges), hazing appeared during the flashing and I just wiped it off very lightly with a microfiber towel. There are absolutely no blending problems and the "repairs" are invisible. For several months now, I have been using this car with OC2 and OID between washes. When the car is washed, the pressure washer seems to clean it almost completely, though I do use a wash mitt and some shampoo. It's a terrific system and a black car was never so easy to deal with.

Archived