Opti-Seal Q&A

Ron Harris

I'm almost 3 weeks into my initial application of Opti Seal on my daily driver, and just wanted to give my impressions.

Since application, the conditions here have been, for lack of a better description, tropical. VERY heavy thunderstorms with brief periods of sun and high winds. Not very LSP friendly.

My car sits in a carport, which faces windward, so about half the car will get wet if it rains.

During this time, I have washed the car 3 times using ONR. No QDs or other toppers were used.

I was very impressed with the look of OOS after initial application. It added a level of gloss I could only get with CG's 5050 over FK1's 1000P. No question that OOS provides its own look. Since then, the gloss has dropped off some, but is still noticeable. Not bad at all considering the conditions. The hard-black-textured-plastic trim has retained its dark, matte look very well.

Usually, I would equate beading and slickness with protection. If dirt and contaminants can't stick to the surface, then the protection has to be good right? Well, OOS is changing that because it is not the best with regards to either aspect, but the one thing that I immediately noticed after driving around in these crummy conditions was how relatively clean the car was!

The door panels and rear fenders that would normally be covered with a uniform layer of grime was just spotted here and there. The tailgate (normally the dirtiest part of my car) was pretty filthy, but again, not as dirty as I would have expected.

For those concerned with beading and slickness, at this point, the beading is still good, but not as uniform as before. Slickness is a bit hard to gauge as there are days that the finish is almost 'squeaky' and other days when it is nice and smooth (this baffles me to no end), but overall it is still smooth, but less slick than after initial application.

Again, I'd like to send a 'Thank You' to Dr. G and everyone involved with bringing OOS to the market. Incredibly easy to use, awesome look, sheds dirt and grime better than anything else I have, and great durability through some tough weather. All of my other sealants and nubas just got moved to the back of the shelf.

Edited to add: I found application easiest with the 4x6 dual sided oval foam pads. I use the soft side and experienced no grabbing nor streaking.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for the most effective polish that can be used by hand and came across Einszett (1Z) paint polish. My question is, since 1z pp contains fillers and wax, can I apply Opti-Seal over 1z pp? or should I clean the paint with Poly-seal or Klasse AIO after using 1z pp before applying opti-Seal?

Thanks

I've been looking for the most effective polish that can be used by hand and came across Einszett (1Z) paint polish. My question is, since 1z pp contains fillers and wax, can I apply Opti-Seal over 1z pp? or should I clean the paint with Poly-seal or Klasse AIO after using 1z pp before applying opti-Seal?

Thanks

Using AIO after the 1z will remove the 1z. If you wait at least 24 hours after the 1z then the OptiSeal should work with no problem.

As long as there are no cleaners in the products you're using you can lay down some OS and then cover that with some wax or sealant also.

If the paint is in nice shape you can also lay down some PoliSeal and then OptiSeal.

Anthony

• 4 weeks later...

I have found using a MF mit to be the best for me. I spritz OS on the mitt, then massage into the paint. OS clears itself out wonderfully, leaving zero streaking as I had with the foam app. Using the fam app, I always had to rewipe with a MF anyway, so I since just converted to using the MF mitt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Lately I've been applying OptiSeal with a soft microfiber towel and completely buffing it into the paint leaving hardly anything to evaporate. This has been working out really nice.

Anthony

Anthony,

I have a few small MF covered mitts (?) They're 5 inches long--3 and one half inches wide and an inch and 1 half thick and light blue colored. I guess its ok to go ahead and buff the OPTI-SEAL "in" like you do with the towels? These mitts (?) fit my hand and work real well for other jobs also. The situation is---I don't know where I got them. They probably came with an order, but from where, I don't have an inkling. I haven't had any luck at various sites or the net. It would probably help if I knew what they were called. If you have any (earthly) idea what I'm talking about and know where I can order them, would you please let me know? Thanks a lot Anthony. The OPTI-SEAL is everything you said it was and more.

MB

Nice find :dribble[1]:

I have something similar to those that I also use for ONR and buffing glass.

Anthony

I've been using their products for a few years. Everything is of very high quality and comes from Korea--supposedly Korea makes the best MF. The Reya bath towels while a little pricey are extrememly soft and plush. The hand towel size is great for OID and final buffing etc.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am having a paint protection film applied to my car, the company recommends that you dont use wax or sealants containing petrolium distillates, can anyone tell me please whether Opti-seal contains these kinds of chemicals?

Many thanx

Edd