Durability Test, OCW & Opti-bond Gel

I'm pretty new to Optimum products and since I'm currently debating on going full stream with OPT products in my shop that will be opening in the future I thought I would try out a durability test on OCW and Opti-bond gel. I'll be using my wife's Nissan Murano for the test subject. Washing will be done once a week with ONR only. Stripped the paint, and before applying OCW did a mineral spirits wipe down. I applied OCW with a microfiber towel spraying each panel then wiping it down until it was clear. On the drivers side hood I left a spot with no OCW as a control, close to the window. Also on the Opti-bond gel, I did the drivers side of the vehicle with 1 coat, and the passenger with 2 letting the first coat dry for an hour before applying another. Diluted 1:1 and sprayed on with a regular bottle type sprayer. There was definitely a shine difference as you will see in the pics, although I should have waited for the gel to dry before taking a pic :( I'll be keeping an update on here after each wash to keep everyone posted of the results. :)

Here were the end results for day one.

DSC03057.jpg

DSC03046.jpg

DSC03047.jpg

Drivers side tire 1 coat

DSC03041.jpg

Passenger side tire 2 coats still partly not dry.

DSC03048.jpg

Will be be back in a week with more results :)

Good looking paint! I like the tire with 2 coats of gel.

I'll be following your test results.

Man Big after 1 day with the product complete dry I am really liking the 2 coats myself. Some cars look better with more of a matte finish on the tires and some better with alittle more shine. On this vehicle I'm liking the extra shine, although the one coat looks very nice and clean. Choices! Will be neat to see how it holds up as I get to see the car everyday :)

Well its been a week, both tires are still looking good, although the 2 coat tire still has more product on the tire. We have driven around 185 miles, even down a dirt road for a short period to see if anything stuck once the tires were dry. Didn't notice any dust stuck to the tires. I'm only posting pics of the tires this week seeing seeing I've only had OCW on for a week, but this coming week I will be doing a 2 week eval on both the OCW and Opti-Bond. If its still on after this week I will be shocked seeing we are moving which will be about 400 miles straight driving. Btw there was very little sling noticed on the paint. There probably would've been none but for testing all I did was spray the product on without wiping any of the excess.

1 coat tire.

DSC03140.jpg

2 coat tire.

DSC03141.jpg

Thanks for sharing, I like the looks of two coats. I find that two is necessary on just about everything except a Michellin. You could spit on a Michelllin and it would look dressed.

I find the biggest difference in the length of time I get from the dressing used is properly cleaning the tire beforehand. It seems to really make a difference.

You know you guys suck. J/K . Now I'll have to order some Opti-bond gel. I like tires to have that new or matt finish look. I have always used Megs#40 , but it dosen't last very long. The pictures of your two coat tire look pretty good after the 185 miles.Thanks for sharing.I now see a order coming by the end of the week.( Chris,any Black Friday specials around the corner ? )

Tried that Chris, seemed to work where I had the two coats, the one coat is finally gone, that's still pretty awesome I think it had almost 800 miles total and 2 weeks, I'm wondering how much longer the 2 coat side will be there?!! The Ocw after 2 weeks shows no sign of change still beading like day 1

Week 3 and almost 1k miles on these tires and the two coat side still has some on it, when will this stuff wear off! The durability I wouldn't have guessed would've more then doubled in the lasting ability just by adding another coat but it has. Also the OCW is still going and feeling strong on the paint, still nice and slick :)

Pic of tire that used to have 1 coat

DSC03187.jpg

Pic of tire with 2 coats still has some on it!

DSC03188.jpg

I think if I still see some gel on at the month mark I'm going to give up the testing and just apply 2 coats from now on. On all customers cars and my own personal vehicles :thumbsupup[1]:

Picked up some Opti-Bond after seeing the results with two coats. Was going to try it out this weekend but the wife wraped it and put it under the christmas tree with the rest of my black friday deals.Go figure.

Thanks for sharing with us Perfections. Looking forward to your future posts on durability. Subscribed! :thumbsupup[1]:

No problem DLR, I think its best for people to be informed good or bad. And that's one thing I respect about OPT and this forum, they don't mind you posting your reviews...good or bad :) And I think if I see any Opti-bond come this next saturday I'm just going to reapply, the results thus far have been amazing for 2 coats. And I have to keep the wife's car looking nice since I have just moved to a small town and don't want people looking at her vehicle like hmm, why is only one side of her vehicles tires shiny...did he forget or something lol. But I will still post my results at the one month mark for the Opti-bond and will continue to test the OCW over the next months until it stops protecting and give the length of time it lasted :)

Archived