Optimum Polish and Compound Questions

I am getting ready to use OP and maybe OC for the first time this weekend on a white '01 Acura MDX that has some oxidation and a lot of swirls. I will be using a PC (no rotary) and Edge 2k pads. It's confusing sometimes when you read about polishes/compounds and how they work because how they work with a rotary doesn't always translate to the PC. Here are my questions:

1. Do you normally prime the pad with a QD or water before using the OP or OC?
  2. Once the pad is primed about how much do you use on the pad? Maybe 4 dime size drops? I've read less is more.
  3. Does the OP and OC work well using a PC? If so does it take a PC at speed 6 to do paint correction (swirl removal)?
  4. I've read that the Optimum products offer a long working time. Problem is when working on light/white cars it's difficult to see when the products clears. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the imput.

I am getting ready to use OP and maybe OC for the first time this weekend on a white '01 Acura MDX that has some oxidation and a lot of swirls. I will be using a PC (no rotary) and Edge 2k pads. It's confusing sometimes when you read about polishes/compounds and how they work because how they work with a rotary doesn't always translate to the PC. Here are my questions:
  1. Do you normally prime the pad with a QD or water before using the OP or OC?
  2. Once the pad is primed about how much do you use on the pad? Maybe 4 dime size drops? I've read less is more.
  3. Does the OP and OC work well using a PC? If so does it take a PC at speed 6 to do paint correction (swirl removal)?
  4. I've read that the Optimum products offer a long working time. Problem is when working on light/white cars it's difficult to see when the products clears. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the imput.

I don't see the need to prime the pads before use. I have never done it myself and can't see why it or how it would help.

The amount of Polish or Compound needed for your first application will be about a quarter size amount (which should do about half a hood) and after that about a nickel size amount.

Both the OP and OC work well with the PC. Try the OP first, use an orange pad if you have one and it may be the only step you'll need. If your results aren't what you're looking for try the OC. Since I don't ever use the PC I can't really comment on speeds.

The length of work time is a "per car" matter meaning each car will be different as far as time needed. On your first few cars work the Optimum products twice as long as you would other polishes you have used in the past. Also, a good barometer to knowing if you're working the product long enough is how difficult or easy is it to remove? If you're having a hard time removing Optimum Polish this is a sign that you're not allowing or working the product long enough.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

Archived