Review: Optimum Car Wash

Kurt_s

Introduction:

I have been wanting to try Optimum’s Car Wash after being introduced to their products about 12 months ago. I have used a number of their products and have been impressed more times than not. I was lucky that Optimum chose to send me a bottle of Optimum Car Wash to try. Thank you to Chris Thomas and Dr. G for the opportunity to try it. Also many thanks to CEEDOG for his review format that I am following.

I followed the manufacturer’s directions and used 1oz per gallon of water. The Optimum Forum store directions recommend 0.5 oz. per gallon of water. I used standard garden hose hard water instead of my normal soft water for dilution, so that I could get a feel for the product as most people would use it. I also did not add a ½-1 ounce of ONR as some users recommend, again using the product per the label directions. I washed both my wife’s champagne beige 535xiT and my arctic white 528iT.

Product Description (from optimumforum.org website):

Optimum Car Wash is designed to clean the toughest automotive grime while maximizing the protection of Optimum Car Wax. The rich foaming lather traps dirt and grime and rinses with cold water leaving a smooth, clean surface behind. Optimum Car Wash is very concentrated and using 0.5 oz. or less per gallon of water provides the necessary cleaning and foaming.

Some car wash products as well as automatic car washes can remove the UV protection and wax, leaving the clearcoat finish unprotected. Optimum Car Wash is designed to remove dirt and grime without removing the protectants of Optimum Car Wax, therefore maximizing its protection. Optimum Car Wash is also extremely gentle and very safe for consumers while containing only bio-degradable ingredients to make it safe for the environment as well.

Directions: Add 1oz. to 2-3 gallons of water for a high lubricating wash solution. Tip: For areas with hard water, add 1oz. ONR as a water softener.

Initial Product Observations:

1. Packaging: 32 oz. as supplied

2. Label Directions: 1oz. per gallon dilution (website recommends 0.5 oz per gallon)

3. Consistency: Thick liquid

4. Color: Blue

5. Scent: Grape with undertones of citrus. (One person suggested blueberry)

6. Size: 32 oz.

7. Current Price: $11.99

8. Manufacturer: Optimum Polymer Technologies

9. Made in the USA

Additional products used for prep, during application, or removal:

1. (3) buckets; one with Grit Guard for the paint, one without a grit guard for wheels and one bucket for rinsing mitts between panels

2. MF Wash Mitt (CG) for paint; Synthetic wool mitt for wheels

3. (2) Waffle Weave MF towels (Cobra and SeaFoam) for paint

4. Daytona Speed Brush and Mini Brush, Tampico Bristle wheel brush, Carrand tire brush, 1” foam brush for lug nuts and lug nut holes.

5. Optimum Power Clean (3:1 dilution) for tire rubber cleaning

Method of Preparation, Application, and noted Observations:

It was a cool, clear Southern California afternoon so I didn’t need a canopy. It had rained several times over the past week, so the cars were relatively dirty. I prepare separate car wash buckets for wheels and paint, so both vehicles wheels and paint are washed with separate buckets of clean wash. I used OPC to clean the tire rubber but wanted to determine the cleaning capabilities of Optimum Car Wash without a wheel cleaner. I decided to try a new microfiber mitt today, instead of the natural sheepskin mitt that I normally use. I’m not enamored with this MF mitt but my sheepskin mitt is literally coming apart at the seams.

I mixed 4 oz. of product into about 4 gallons of water for both vehicles paint. Optimum Car Wash made lots of suds that lasted and lasted. Matter of fact, the suds remained in the hood drain channels so long that it required me to rinse the channels down long after drying the car’s exterior. I will remember to rinse the drain channels of suds before drying the car next time. I mixed 2 oz of product into 2-3 gallons of water for each set of wheels. First the wheels were cleaned, then the car’s paint was rinsed then washed of contaminates. Both cars have wheel sealant on the rims, so the car wash plus brushes were adequate to remove 2 week old BMW brake dust on my wife’s car. Not bad! Starting at the top of the car, the roof and windows were washed and rinsed first. Next the hood, rear lift gates, and finally the vertical panels were completed.

As I was drying the champagne beige bimmer, I found a number of bug stains that were not softened and removed on the hood and roof. In comparison to OG Blue 33, Megs Gold Class and DG 901, each seem to have a bit more lubricity and cleaning ability. I did use hard water instead of soft water to prepare the car wash dilution, so this may not be a far comparison. I should have used soft water with the 2nd car and will do so next time I use Optimum Car Wash. I also used a new MF wash mitt so maybe there is that difference as well.

It’s been months since I sealed my wife’s car with WGDGPS and waxed my car with Fuzion. My wife’s car definitely needs polishing and resealing, even though beading looks fine and the finish is very reflective. My car is still baby butt smooth, but it still needs a little lov’n. This car wash leaves a nice clean gloss, maybe a bright gloss look to the finish which is similar to both OG Blue 33 and Megs Gold Class. In comparison, DG901 seems to add a little golden sheen to the finish, slightly changing the final finish’s look. I feel like a coating was added to the paint and windows with 901, while Opt Car Wash just looks a bit more shiny and bright. I prefer the look of Opt Car Wash to DG 901, but not by much.

Pros:

1. Price

2. Nice bright, glossy finish which does not seem to change the LSPs look.

3. Lots of long lasting suds

4. Good sheeting action

5. Wax integrity and beading remains very good.

Cons:

1. May not have cleaned as well as some other washes

2. Lubricity while adequate seems slightly less than OGB33, Megs Gold Class and DG901, but I used hard water instead of soft water. I should have used soft water on the 2nd car to be fair.

Final Observations and Summary:

Optimum offers a very nice car wash. I will continue to experiment and compare it to other washes in my car wash stable, and in fairness will try it with soft water next time. It leaves a very nice shiny finish with great reflective qualities. I’m not a person that goes crazy over pretty smells in my car products, but I do prefer it to the cherry cough syrup smell of DG 901.

And the Product Link:

http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=1334

Archived