Bird Bomb Etching

Joel Blake

I've been doing some testing by leaving bird bombs on the paint for extended periods. On more than one occasion it has left some slight etching after a few weeks, but then this etching later disappears.

It isn't getting washed off, because I checked the etching after the wash to make sure it was still present. But then by the next wash it has already disappeared. I didn't think too much off it until a client of ours said he experienced the same thing.

Anyone got an explanation for this???

• 1 month later...

Dr Ghodoussi has since answered this for me actually.

What happens is the "etching" you see is in fact a stain on the coating. Not etching as the acid doesn't damage the coating.

After a few days this stain breaks down in the heat of the sun and disappears.

I wonder it hard water spots will do the same?

Hi Chris

I've tested water spots as best I could with the Opti-Coat. In the middle of our summer I took my poor car to the DIY wash a few times a purposely drove off to allow the car to dry in the sun and get some etching. I then left it like that for a few months and the only time I touched it was for a standard hand wash.

When I couldn't stand it any more I used a non abrasive polish and by hand removed the water spots. No etching and I was blown away at how easy they came off.

Unfortunately regarding the bird bomb etching I haven't been able to test it out for any longer than a couple weeks. The bird poo won't stick any longer than that :D

• 8 years later...
On 5/21/2011 at 4:10 AM, Joel Blake said:

Dr Ghodoussi has since answered this for me actually.

What happens is the "etching" you see is in fact a stain on the coating. Not etching as the acid doesn't damage the coating.

After a few days this stain breaks down in the heat of the sun and disappears.

Does this apply for non-coated vehicles as well?

• 5 weeks later...

FYI, water spots are mineral residue after the fluid evaporates and can take chemicals to remove.  Water stains can be cleaned off as well, but on ceramic coated paint, UV can "heal" the stains.  We have numerous stories of bird bombs, water spots, and other stains disappearing from coated surfaces after time in the sun.

14 hours ago, hokiedood said:

This must be the same problem with water drops on my OCP+ car. ONR won't remove the water spots a few days after it has rained. A few days later after the wash they are no longer there.

Water spots after raining? I thought water spots could practically only come from tapwater?