Opti-Coat 2.0 Questions for an article

CEE DOG

Dr. G, It was great having an opportunity to talk with you at Detail Fest again this year. I have a few questions I was hoping you could answer for everyone. This Q&A will be posted online in my Coatings Review and Extreme Testing article. I would like to post my article this weekend if possible.

1.-What would be the consequences of using more than light pressure to buff off high spots or ridges within minutes of application?

2.-Approximately how many microns will Opti-Coat 2.0 add to paint?

3.-Can Opti-Coat 2.0 be applied to single stage paints of any age?

4.-Consider a car with older single stage paint that is badly oxidized and faded and then polished to perfection and brought back to glossy condition. Can Opti-Coat 2.0 lock in the gloss or have any effect stopping the paint from regressing to its faded condition?

5.-Can Opti-Coat 2.0 be used on leather, vinyl, and interior plastics?

6.-What would be the outcome if Opti-Coat 2.0 was applied to a properly cleaned tire?

7.-I understand using Optimum Poliseal with a foam finishing pad is the acceptable method of cleaning the coating down the road. Is this correct?

8.-Are other Optimum products such as OptiClean and Optimum No Rinse friendly with Opti-Coat 2.0? If they are friendly do they require any adaptation in their application compared with how they are used on non-coated paint.

9.-What temperatures will cured Opti-Coat 2.0 withstand before failing?

10.-Assuming its kept indoors in 65-78 degrees what is the shelf life of Opti-Coat 2.0 before being opened by the consumer?

11.-If only some of the syringe is used and it is properly resealed with the cap what will the remaining shelf life be? Assume its kept indoors in 65-78 degrees.

12.-Can a small touchup spot of Opti-Coat 2.0 be applied over a previously Opti-coated panel. For instance: If you get a rock chip in your paint and need to touch it up then want to recoat the touched up area with Opti-coat can you simply apply OC to that one small area? Would there be any negative affects where the touch-up OC overlapped the existing OC?

Thank you so much for your work on this innovative product and as always thank you for taking the time to answer my questions in such an insightful manner.

Corey

Hey Dog another question I keep getting asked is what kind of polish is safe to use. You may want to include that in your review ;)

Thanks Dwayne! I understand Poliseal with a foam finishing pad is the correct method to clean the coating down the road. I have mentioned this in my (not yet posted) review. Good idea! maybe I should verify that with Dr. G before posting it. I'll edit my post above. Btw: its almost done... just waiting on answers from the manufacturers and then I have a couple interesting tests I'm going to do tommorrow night or Sunday. If these tests don't break the coatings nothing will! LOL

Corey, David is going to work on your questions over the weekend and post them here first of the week. Poliseal is perfect for Opti Coat cleaning, so you nailed it.

Much thanks to both of you Chris and David! I am going to sneak one more question in there if it's ok. I think I know the answer but I want to get the answer from you guys before I go posting it.

Can a small touchup spot of Opti-Coat 2.0 be applied over a previously Opti-coated panel. For instance: If you get a rock chip in your paint and need to touch it up then want to recoat the touched up area with Opti-coat can you simply apply OC to that one small area? Would there be any negative affects where the touch-up OC overlapped the existing OC?

Thank you for your time,

Corey

Dr. G, It was great having an opportunity to talk with you at Detail Fest again this year. I have a few questions I was hoping you could answer for everyone. This Q&A will be posted online in my Coatings Review and Extreme Testing article. I would like to post my article this weekend if possible.

Corey,

It was a great pleasure seeing you again also and congratulations on the well deserved award you won for your thorough forum reviews. Your questions here are a prime example of your thoroughness which is partly due to your engineering background.

I also want to thank Chris for doing a superb job of explaining how to apply Opti-Coat to make the process easier and more effective for all users. Please look for my replies within your text. Thank you.

1.-What would be the consequences of using more than light pressure to buff off high spots or ridges within minutes of application?

When applying Opti-Coat 2.0, the best results are achieved with an even and continuous coat. If you have any high spots, it will be hazy and stays hazy after curing. Using the foam applicator with light pressure helps even out the high spots while using too much pressure can release more product from the sponge and would defeat the purpose. Alternatively a microfiber towel can be used to remove the excess product, however, with this approach there is a possibility of removing all the resins.

2.-Approximately how many microns will Opti-Coat 2.0 add to paint?

By using the contents of the syringe on a large SUV, it will add 2-3 microns of Opti-Coat to the paint. For smaller cars you can achieve the same results with less product.

3.-Can Opti-Coat 2.0 be applied to single stage paints of any age?

Opti-Coat 2.0 was designed for clearcoat paint and it should be applied after the paint defects are removed. We have not done any long term testing with this product on single stage paint.

There are several professional detailers that have applied Opti-Coat to single stage paint after removing all the defects and oxidation with great results. They might be able to provide more information on this application but the main purpose of this product is to protect clearcoat from the elements and premature failure due to over-polishing.<br style=""> <br style="">

4.-Consider a car with older single stage paint that is badly oxidized and faded and then polished to perfection and brought back to glossy condition. Can Opti-Coat 2.0 lock in the gloss or have any effect stopping the paint from regressing to its faded condition?

Please refer to the previous answer.

5.-Can Opti-Coat 2.0 be used on leather, vinyl, and interior plastics?

Absolutely not. Opti-Coat 2.0 is designed for use on exterior automotive surfaces only. It cross-links and forms a hard clear film therefore it should not be applied to flexible substrates including leather, vinyl, soft tops, tire, etc.

6.-What would be the outcome if Opti-Coat 2.0 was applied to a properly cleaned tire?

7.-I understand using Optimum Poliseal with a foam finishing pad is the acceptable method of cleaning the coating down the road. Is this correct?

Yes, you can use Poli-Seal by hand or with a foam finishing pad to clean Opti-Coat or to add additional gloss.

8.-Are other Optimum products such as OptiClean and Optimum No Rinse friendly with Opti-Coat 2.0? If they are friendly do they require any adaptation in their application compared with how they are used on non-coated paint.

Yes, we design all our products to be compatible with each other to make the process easier and that includes the products you mentioned as well as other Optimum products such as Optimum Car Wax, Opti-Seal, Instant Detailer, etc.

9.-What temperatures will cured Opti-Coat 2.0 withstand before failing?

Opti-Coat 2.0 forms ceramic bonds (Si-C)at very high temperatures and will not be damaged by extreme heat. Therefore, it can be used to protect wheels, brake calipers, engine compartments without any issues.

10.-Assuming its kept indoors in 65-78 degrees what is the shelf life of Opti-Coat 2.0 before being opened by the consumer?

Opti-Coat 2.0 has an infinite shelf life as long as moisture is not introduced into the product.

11.-If only some of the syringe is used and it is properly resealed with the cap what will the remaining shelf life be? Assume its kept indoors in 65-78 degrees.

12.-Can a small touchup spot of Opti-Coat 2.0 be applied over a previously Opti-coated panel. For instance: If you get a rock chip in your paint and need to touch it up then want to recoat the touched up area with Opti-coat can you simply apply OC to that one small area? Would there be any negative affects where the touch-up OC overlapped the existing OC?

Once Opti-Coat cures, it will repel most everything even the fresh resin. If you have to recoat a section, you will have to polish the entire panel first with Optimum Polish or Optimum Finish. Then, you will need to wipe the panel down with a damp microfiber towel to remove any residue before reapplying Opti-Coat 2.0 to the entire panel.

Thank you so much for your work on this innovative product and as always thank you for taking the time to answer my questions in such an insightful manner.

Corey, I appreciate the time you put into testing and educating forum members on how to use and benefit from different automotive appearance products. As a paint chemist, I was always puzzled why people over-polish their car paint and cause the paint to fail prematurely (we all have seen examples of clearcoat failure). Opti-Coat 2.0 is the most effective way to avoid premature failure of clearcoats.

Our research team spent over 4 years developing and testing Opti-Coat before it was released for professional use and another 3 years to develop Opti-Coat 2.0 for consumer use. This coating has better scratch and mar resistance, better UV resistance, and better chemical resistance than factory clears. Therefore the effects of the elements on Opti-Coat 2.0 is far less than factory clears and there will be much less need for polishing once this is applied on top of the existing clear. Even if you do remove Opti-Coat 2.0 by polishing, you can easily replace it by adding another coat.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

David,

CEE DOG - your write up over on AG was amazing. I've done many Opti Coatings (V1) and I learned so much from your write up to make my process and checks better.

David, (Dr. G) thanks again so much for all the time you put into answering all those questions in a way all of us can understand. It makes such a difference when you are considering different products to be able to talk to the man that actual engineered them. The fact that you are such a standup and honest guy to speak with is what really makes the difference. I've talked with a lot of people that feel this exact same way when your name is brought up and while it's quite obvious I just wanted to say you are very highly respected and valued to all the enthusiasts and detailers that have had the opportunity to speak with you. Thanks again for the great products and being available to educate us on not only the most important things but also on the smallest details.

CEE DOG - your write up over on AG was amazing. I've done many Opti Coatings (V1) and I learned so much from your write up to make my process and checks better.

Thank you Todd! That means a lot to me! I learned a lot and I would like to make a new video of the opti-coat application based on my lessons learned. This weekend I promised my wife no testing! LOL. But I am going to make another video and small writeup highlighting what I have learned from experience and what Chris has been telling me about spreading the product around like a sealant.

David, (Dr. G) thanks again so much for all the time you put into answering all those questions in a way all of us can understand. It makes such a difference when you are considering different products to be able to talk to the man that actual engineered them. The fact that you are such a standup and honest guy to speak with is what really makes the difference. I've talked with a lot of people that feel this exact same way when your name is brought up and while it's quite obvious I just wanted to say you are very highly respected and valued to all the enthusiasts and detailers that have had the opportunity to speak with you. Thanks again for the great products and being available to educate us on not only the most important things but also on the smallest details.

Corey,

I appreciate all your great comments and for dedicating so much time and effort into designing and documenting your product evaluations. You have truly earned the throne for product testing and unbiased reviews which has helped many pros and enthusiasts find the answers to their questions and more. In fact, most people I spoke to at Detailfest said that they strictly follow your reviews before trying any new product. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. Thanks again.

David,

Archived