Hello Everyone!

GeorgeK

Just joined the forum after lurking around for a bit. I have a 2010 Tuxedo Black Ford F-150 that I recently purchased slightly used, but the paint is in pretty good shape. However, after my first typical wash and chamois dry, I found it difficult to get it dry enough without leaving water spots and streaks. Therefore, just purchased some small quantities of several Optimum products (wash, wax, ONR, instant detailer, MF towel) to achieve a better look. Thinking of using wash, wax and detailer during the summer, saving the ONR for the colder weather. Currently waiting for them to arrive and for me to get home (I'm an OTR truck driver) to try out. Would I wash, dry, wax, then detailer, or switch that order a bit? Any advise is appreciated!

Thanks,

George

That makes perfect sense..now that I put more thought into it! I had been using a chamois for drying, but looks like I should pick up some MF towels for drying. Why not the chamois? Any recommendations on what to look for if I don't get them through this site...a google search gives me thousands of choices at a range of price points! Again, I'm not a pro, just an individual looking for a way to keep my truck looking its best without breaking the bank.

BTW, thanks Perfections for your help!

Me being someone that does this for a business, but still think and recommend the same for personal use is this, the washing and drying process is where your majority of paint surface damage is gonna come from, so there are some things I don't go cheap on, and that's wash media and drying towels, while a chamois is ok for the average consumer, someone that's wanting their paint to be in the best condition possible over the years I always recommend making an invest in some decent mf towels, if your only doing your truck 2-3 drying towels will be enough, here's another tip any mf towels that touchs your paint try and wash a load of interior/rim/wheel well mf's before you wash your exterior paint only towels, this will insure all the fabric softener is cycled through the washing machine, fabric softener ruins mf towels, and only wash exterior paint towels with exterior paint towels and all the rest in another load so you can keep your expensive towels in shape for years :) if you need any advice on towel brands just tell me your budget and I'll help you get towels, you can also send me a message if you don't wanna broadcast your budget on the boards.

Thanks again, Perfections, and Chris for the added verification. Sounds like I need to get an Opti Mitt, and perhaps a 6 pack of the Multi Surface MF towels. Would one of the oversized drying towels be needed, as well, or could some of the multi surface ones be dedicated to drying/waxing/OID'ing? Are those soft/plush enough for that finishing purpose also?Thanks again!

Chris,

Thanks for the clarification. I think I'll look for a MF at my local Wally World to try out the small samples of product I ordered (several are the 4 oz travel size). Then, once I see they're as good as everyone says, I'll order larger sizes of ONR, OCW and wash and throw in the mitt and towels to get in on the free shipping :)

Sure am getting anxious to get home and try these out...the suspense is killing me!

With ONR, I like to make my initial drying pass with a drying towel, then get off the remains with a multipurpose while applying a little QD or OCW. The drying towel is basically the same as the multi purpose...just larger. They are not a deep pile, but they are very soft and well suited to finishing.

Agreed I do the same, drying towel followed by something else to insure a waterspot free vehicle :)

Archived