The Line between Opticlean and ONR

cptzippy

I've found with careful techniques I can clean pretty dirty cars with ONR. I read somewhere that you should only use Opticlean on mildly dusty cars (of course many use to say that about ONR).

My question is, where is the line (in grime) between using Opticlean and ONR?

I've found with careful techniques I can clean pretty dirty cars with ONR. I read somewhere that you should only use Opticlean on mildly dusty cars (of course many use to say that about ONR).

My question is, where is the line (in grime) between using Opticlean and ONR?

Its close, very close but OC covers where there might be an area of doubt if to do a full ONR wash or not. :)

• 7 years later...

Sorry to drag up an old topic but I was curious. So the general recommendation is:

1) if the car is filthy, do a traditional 2 bucket wash with soap

2) if the car isn't too dirty, we can use ONR (I still typically presoak ONR using a foam cannon and pressure wash the car off before starting my ONR wash)

3) where does that leave Opti-clean? When is the best time to use Opti-clean? More for spot treatment? Would you actually use Opti-clean to clean an entire car?

curious where you got this "general recommendation" because it didn't come from Optimum.  We have never recommended the 2 bucket wash (in fact, Yvan LaCroix recommends against it).  For a truly filthy car (mud encrusted) we suggest power washing first, but still an ONR wash.  I've never had a car too dirty for ONR.  Opti-Clean is a true waterless wash and can be used for spot cleaning or for the entire job...and many use it that way.  Opti-Clean is a stronger cleaner than ONR and has it's place in a washing routine.  For instance, sometimes during a rain storm I pull my car out to get it thoroughly wet, then use Opti-Clean as a safe drying aid to finish the job. 

11 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

curious where you got this "general recommendation" because it didn't come from Optimum.  We have never recommended the 2 bucket wash (in fact, Yvan LaCroix recommends against it).  For a truly filthy car (mud encrusted) we suggest power washing first, but still an ONR wash.  I've never had a car too dirty for ONR.  Opti-Clean is a true waterless wash and can be used for spot cleaning or for the entire job...and many use it that way.  Opti-Clean is a stronger cleaner than ONR and has it's place in a washing routine.  For instance, sometimes during a rain storm I pull my car out to get it thoroughly wet, then use Opti-Clean as a safe drying aid to finish the job. 

Interesting, thanks for the tips

I've been leaning that way anyways as I find ONR to be so much easier to use.

What I've generally settled on is pre-rinsing with ONR, power washing if the car is really dirty, using ONR with the BRS, and then using Opti-Clean to spot clean particularly stubborn or dirty areas (tar, bugs, etc)

Thanks again, this forum is a goldmine!

• 7 months later...

no, Opti-Clean is not too strong to use all the time and I just used it today to clean pollen off my Garage Queen.  My only issue with OC is that for an average dirty car I have to go slower, use more product, or go back over vs slopping ONR on/drying.  I don't see any time savings...

1 hour ago, Ron@Optimum said:

no, Opti-Clean is not too strong to use all the time and I just used it today to clean pollen off my Garage Queen.  My only issue with OC is that for an average dirty car I have to go slower, use more product, or go back over vs slopping ONR on/drying.  I don't see any time savings...

Why would you have to go slower and use more OOC? It's stronger than ONR isn't it?

1 hour ago, hokiedood said:

Why would you have to go slower and use more OOC? It's stronger than ONR isn't it?

You have to be careful with the towel/wash media you use while using Opti Clean as you would accumulate alot of dirt on the towel/media. Flip the towel as it gets dirty with every swipe, and then change towels. 

As oppose to ONR bucket wash where you apply the Big Red Sponge all over the car

Exactly right, Kid, when I use ONR and the BRS, I slosh on lots of solution, give it a wipe, then dry.  With, OC you're using much less solution and wiping/drying in one action - not getting the same volume of product to absorb the dirt.  For a dirty car it requires (1) more sprays and time wiping, or (2) going back over to catch dirt missed the first pass.  OC has to be stronger because you're using much less water that also acts as a lubricant/cleaner. 

I have cleaned very dirty, white work trucks using onr and no soap. You know the white vehicles with the black sooty film on them? This myth of what Matt Mourmon says about only using onr between washes, ( whatever an in-between wash is anyway). Onr can clean as dirty of a car as soap can. If encrusted with thick mud or dirt it will need a good pre rinse and maybe PC to knock it down, though. I just wanted to clear that up as I'm sure most of you already knew anyway.

Checking back in to report an update, I've been exclusively using Optimum products to clean my car since I last posted in September (don't even own traditional soap anymore!) and have nothing but positive things to report. My experience mirrors a lot of what the experts here have reported:

1) My car is a daily driver and sits outside, I love washing with ONR and the BRS versus the increased caution I need to take with Opti Clean

2) I typically with pre-rinse with a hose just to get as much loose debris off as possible (but I have done plenty of washes without a pre-rinse and haven't scratched my car yet)

3) I find that foaming Power Clean (in addition to being fun) is great particularly for bugs. Such an awesomely versatile product that can be used to wash wheels / tires / bugs / stubborn tar / etc

This was a great week where I could put everything together (back to work and driving 5x/week, assaulted by a ton of love bugs, eagerly awaiting my Friday evening car wash):

- hose off the car

- foam Power Clean 1:3 on the wheels / tires / lovebug-affected areas

- use wheel tools to clean the wheels / tires / exhaust

- use bug sponge to clean the bugs

- hose off again (I believe ONR used in a large volume can also neutralize Power Clean but I prefer hosing it off to be safe)

- bring the car inside so I can work in a climate-controlled environment

- BRS + ONRWW to clean the body

- Opti seal and microfiber towel to dry the body

- microfiber towel dunked into ONR and wrung out to wipe down the interior

- spritz of opti seal and microfiber towel to dry the wheels

Ready for another week of work and lovebugs :)