Need some suggestions on Rotary's

Strokin04

I am looking to buy a new rotary and want to know what everyone is using? I have been looking at makita's, dewalt's, milwaukee's and hitachi's. I found coastal tool has some good prices but, the hitachi is on back order until july 1st. I have friend that works for Grainger and I can get dewalt's and milwaukee's for around 150. Appreciate all help and suggestions, Mike...

The DeWalt is and has been my favorite. The Makita has a high pitched whine that drives me nuts....and the Milwaukee weighs a ton.

Anthony

Which dewalt would you recommend, the DW849, DW847 or DW845? I can get these three models from $155 to 130 local (grainger guy). Thanks, Mike...

I really enjoy my Makita. It is the lightest full size rotary. The only one lighter is the Metabo. This one is next on my list of tools.

I ended up ordering the Hitachi because of it's great reviews, light weight, varible speed trigger and 5 year warranty. I hope I get before this weekend so that I can try the pads I ordered from Anthony on my truck and give the old truck a coat or two of opt-seal. Mike...

You should be happy with the Hitachi . that is what I have currently. the 5 year warranty is a deal . it is a lot lighter than my 849 was and that makes it a lot easier on the vertical panels. keep us posted on your use with it.

You should be happy with the Hitachi . that is what I have currently. the 5 year warranty is a deal . it is a lot lighter than my 849 was and that makes it a lot easier on the vertical panels. keep us posted on your use with it.

Hopefully this rain will let up in Oklahoma and my Hitachi arrives before this weekend. If so I will be using it on the truck this weekend, since the wife will be gone for mothers day. Mike...

:groupwave[1]:

Well I got a call from acetoolonline saying that the Hitachi would be on backorder until Jun 1. So I cancelled my order and ordered the Makita 9227cy from coastaltool which won't make it to my house until tuesday. So I will just do the interior this weekend no big deal because my work just requested me to work OT this weekend anyways. Can't turn down the easy money and like my dad says "get it while you can". Mike...

Yesterday a package arrived that I wasn't expecting and had actually cancelled the order on. The Hitachi showed up and just the day before I was told it wasn't going to ship until sometime in June, so I cancelled the order. What is bad or so I thought was after I cancelled the order I ordered a Makita because I needed something for some upcoming details. Luckily my friend wants to buy my Makita, so I won't be stuck with two rotaries and a unhappy wife. So on tuesday when my Makita shows up I will be changing the shipping labels and shipping it to my friend. All in all I am happy because I really wanted the Hitachi and I was able to find a quick home for the Makita. Mike...

Other good news is that soon I will have some wool pads and green pads that I ordered from Anthony and can't wait to try out. Things are looking up!!!!

Wow, funny how thing work out sometimes. glad you have the rotary and found a home for the other one. have heard great things about the Makita, even though I have not owned one. if you have not used a rotary before , get a practice panel or practice on something other than you ride at first. if you know somebody with a beater, who does not care, practice on their car or truck. let us know how it works for you. good luck :groupwave[1]:

I have experience with rotaries, so I am not to worried about it. I was just upgrading from the POS chicago one that I have. When I did paint work I used Makita's and my buddy who still does is the one getting the Makita. I remember when I worked at body shop learning to use a rotary and how quickly you can strip the paint on painted rubber trim (lol). So Flatstick your advice is really good for someone wanting to learn how to use a rotary. I will let you all know what I think about the Hitachi, hopefully soon if the weather permits. Mike...

I have experience with rotaries, so I am not to worried about it. I was just upgrading from the POS chicago one that I have. When I did paint work I used Makita's and my buddy who still does is the one getting the Makita. I remember when I worked at body shop learning to use a rotary and how quickly you can strip the paint on painted rubber trim (lol). So Flatstick your advice is really good for someone wanting to learn how to use a rotary. I will let you all know what I think about the Hitachi, hopefully soon if the weather permits. Mike...

Mike sorry for the mix up, I went and reread the first line of you post. it clearly stated that you had experience with a rotary. maybe I have been sniffing too much OS lately LOL ! keep up posted on your thoughts of the new machine. I know I am very happy with mine.

• 1 month later...

I have a cheap one from Northern Tool that has worked very well for me for the past year. I use 9/10 times over my DeWalt, because it is lighter. I half expect it to crap out on me at any second, which is why the DeWalt is on hand, but for $70, the tool has already outlasted the life I originally expected!

Archived