Learn on a cheap rotary or save for a better DA?

beetlevw72

Okay, so I have a PC 7424 (non-XP). It's not bad, but not great. I have a ton of 7 inch Meguiars pads that I really can't use with it because of the lack of power. Right now I use 4 inch pads to get better cut. So, I was thinking of getting a cheap rotary at Harbor Freight to learn OR save and get an XP or possibly a 3401VRG. Just looking for some thoughts. Can a 3401VRG spin 7 inch pads effectively? Also, with my current PC and 4 inch pads am I going to get some decent cut with Compund 2 and Polish 2?

Here's a link to the HF polisher.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-variable-speed-polisher-sander-92623.html

My opinion would be to save for the Flex vs what could be tossing money down the drain on the HF rotary. I have seen both good and bad reviews on it, so it is hit or miss on if you get one that works on a regular basis. The 50-50 chance of getting a bad one made me spring for a Makita on Amazon.

The next question is do you need the time reduction that the rotary is going to give you ? You can get the same thing done with a PC or Flex, just takes a bit more time and for non serious defect removal, it is a bit of a waste.

Have you looked at the Opti MF cutting and polishing pads for your PC ?

The MF pads will give new legs to your PC, I find they work great with both my antique PC ( liberated from my wood shop some time ago ) and my PC-xp. I use the 5.25" version on my PC with good results.

I find on the Flex I need to slow down the speed on them, else I get too much heat build up ( separation issues ) , but as long as I run the cutting pad on the Flex on ~ speed 4 and the polish on ~ 3 they work find long term with Hyper Compound and Hyper Polish. This is just what I find works best for me on the Flex, on the PC I have not had a heat issue yet.

On my Flex I run the Lake Country 6.5 & 7.5 VC pads without an issue. I have the best luck for defect removal, with the 6.5" flat pads, when talking about only LC foam pads. I have some 4" pads for it ( use the LC - Flex adapter set to get to 6" and 4" and the Flex ones for 5.25 & 5.5 )

Just watching the cost column, I would suggest trying some Opti 5.25" MF pads and see how that works for you. Don't need as much product to prime them, and between sections does not take as much additional product to get back to work. Just make sure to pad brush them or blow them out between panels. When I am done I use MF cleaner ( same as you might use for the machine wash of towels ) sprayed on the MF pad, and use a plastic wash board ( or 1 gal paint can roller screen ) in the sink to clean them.

Just my 2 cents on the topic.

My vote is save up for the flex if your doing more then own personal car and if your just doing your own buy the griots da. I love and can do pretty much 99% of the vehicles I come across with my flex, but if I only had my car to do every now and then I'd pickup the griots without hesitation.

Wow! Thanks for the fast replies guys! Since you both seem to have the same opinion I think I will hold off on the rotary and save for a better DA in a bit (maybe Fall). I haven't had the chance to try the MF pads from OPT yet but, I think that's a great idea sscully. I do have some Megs MF pads so maybe I'll give those a try and get some OPT ones as they wear out.

Perfections, I didn't even think about the Griots machine. How is it compared to say an XP or G110v2? That may be the way to go for now since I detail for business on the side but I'm not doing it all of the time. That may be the way to start off.

Thanks again, guys! You just saved me from wasting money!

Andy

Andy the Pc is no comparison in power to the griots, even the megs machine has more power then the pc. The reason I push the griots so much is your able to spin the pads at a lower speed setting and your able to to have it off axis and still spin the pad. It's dependability is lacking though vs the pc so if this wasn't something you'd be using every day the pc is the way to go. But as a hobbyist the griots has a lifetime warranty which if you ever do happen to run into problems is nice :)

Andy the Pc is no comparison in power to the griots, even the megs machine has more power then the pc. The reason I push the griots so much is your able to spin the pads at a lower speed setting and your able to to have it off axis and still spin the pad. It's dependability is lacking though vs the pc so if this wasn't something you'd be using every day the pc is the way to go. But as a hobbyist the griots has a lifetime warranty which if you ever do happen to run into problems is nice :)

How are you comparing the PC ( or PC-xp ) to the GG 6" ?

The only reason I ask, is this is the same wording I heard about the Megs G110 ( not the G110V2, Megs 1st try at building their own - non PC DA ) and when I got it I was comparing it against a PC that spent ~ a decade in the shop as a wood sanding tool, that I liberated for paint use ( this is what I was replacing ).

The 1st release of the G110 did not hold a candle to my antique PC, it was an overpriced junk pile.

I gave the G110 to my sister to apply LSP to her vehicle.

This is what turned me off Megs products ( they already got my money, so it is not like I showed them anything ).

The only reason I ask, is the claims of more power than XYZ has been used for the G110, the G110V2 and the GG 6". I am now reading reviews on the newer releases of the GG 6" do not work as well as the older release ( this is the unit sent in return for a warranty claim on an older unit ).

- Don't know if this is more herd mentality or a real noticeable delta.

I got a new PC-xp and it works fine with the Opti MF cutting and Polishing MF pads ( better than the Megs ones when I did a head to head test between the two ).

Just curious, I have never seen an objective test to qualify the more power claims.

Sorry I should've put versions, I'm unsure of the new version if there is one for the griots, I've had 3 of them, all seemed to have the same power, which was more power then the Meg's v2, and the pc or xp. I'm currently using an xp because I got tired of breaking my griots, but I was using it 10 hours a day, even sanding out boats with it. They do break where the xp hasn't broke even once and if your in a detailing business where your livelihood depends on machines then get the xp all day. But for a casual user the griots machines I was using would own my xp in power easily. Especially off axis. And this is why I recommend the griots to the hobbyist/part timer.

If I summarize it, "stall" power takes more on the GG 6" ? ( that is my take away )

You have had a bad time of it with them, the 1st I have read of going through that many of them. Good promotion on the warranty on the GG 6"

The "old" vs "new" on the GG 6", there are no obvious markings, what I have read ( and it could be herd mentality ) was the "newer" one does not say professional on the side, and is lacking some of the power that the older one had.

Could be the stall is the same, but the feel of the RPM is not the same, so some think it is slower ( which has about zero to do with the stall ).

This is just from reading, I have zero hands on for a GG 6" or a G110v2.

I just know I got bit by the Megs marketing machine with the G110 ( 1st release ) that had the same tag lines at the time of the release, and it was nothing but junk.

Thanks for the info.

If your a hobbyist and not doing this for money, I would do neither and get the right pads. I use an original 7424 and can find no reason to upgrade, as it always takes the defects away. The right pads are 5.5" x 7/8" pads, brand of your choice. I use LC CCS. You will find with the right backing plate, buffing solution, pads, and technique, that the old school 7424 is a very capable machine. <br /><br />I had mine for years before I actually discovered The Mike Phillips Method ( new term?) and actually learner to use the thing to my advantage. I actually thought my machine was broke or defective and just drove around with less than perfect paint. If you need to remove heavier defects, get some Surbuf pads, m105, prime the pad, and work in small areas. It may take longer with a 7424 original issue, but it can do it. <br /> Now, if your doing this for a living and time is of the essence, I would skip the Harbor Freight machine. You get what you pay for. Buy a cheap rotary, get a cheap rotary. Also, IMHO, rotaries only should be used by the most experienced hands, I'm guessing if you don't own one, you don't have a ton of experience and a DA might be better for you. If your doing it for a living, I bet you could sell your PC for 60-70 dollars (assuming it works ok) on EBay or Craigslist and use that money towards a Griots or the new 3D DA. <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Thank you all for the great opinions. I'm going to put the PC to good use with the right pad size for now and save for a new DA. The lifetime warranty on the Griots is amazing! Most are just a year or two. If I happen to save enough I will get a Flex, but, I have a feeling that the Griots will be more in my range :)

Thanks man! I just made up some brochures today. My WiFi is down because of the storms but I will try to upload it in the next couple of days if time permits. Only have the craptacular 3G on my phone right now :( bummer.

• 2 months later...

Late to the party, as usual. No disrespect intended.

My opinion: Man up and learn to use a rotary. Time savings are more than significant. I see by your sig. that you're the proprietor of a detailing biz. You already have the 7" -ers, might as well use them.

Quality machines can be found at pawn shops, CL, Amazon, Ebay, etc.

I do not detail for profit, but am not willing to spend twice the time using a DA, when a rotary/wool...or, rotary/MF pad is deemed by the test spot.

Archived