streaking

JCVB

I understand if either of the opt permenant coatings are applied to thick and dries, you get streaking. To remove the streaking you have to polish them out.

The back story is a client of mine bought a black vehicle and the dealership talked them into having a permenant coating applied to the car (pretty sure its not an optimum product). The husband was asking me why the car was streaked. I told him to take it back and have the dealership fix it. Ive washed the car 2 times and noticed that the streaking was just about gone so he did not take it back.

What would it mean if brand X permenant coating is applied and streaking happens and the streaking goes away after 2-3 car washes?

I know this question is not about optimum coatings but figured you guys might be able to answer the question.

JC

Guest Realistic Detailer

I understand if either of the opt permenant coatings are applied to thick and dries, you get streaking. To remove the streaking you have to polish them out.

The back story is a client of mine bought a black vehicle and the dealership talked them into having a permenant coating applied to the car (pretty sure its not an optimum product). The husband was asking me why the car was streaked. I told him to take it back and have the dealership fix it. Ive washed the car 2 times and noticed that the streaking was just about gone so he did not take it back.

What would it mean if brand X permenant coating is applied and streaking happens and the streaking goes away after 2-3 car washes?

I know this question is not about optimum coatings but figured you guys might be able to answer the question.

JC

JC

First, your customer did not buy a permanent coating at the dealership. He most likely bought a hybrid wax/polmer sealant which is not a coating that he paid far too much for. Most dealerships state that the product must be reapplied each year to maintain the warranty.

As far as polishing to remove the streaking goes. Maybe, would be my answer. Polishing would not be my first choice. Why? Clear coats are not meant to be polished. Polishing does not increase gloss on a clear coat. A wax remover would be better IMO.

I would remove what is on the vehicle now since it is a new car, and apply a real protection product. Although there is a problem. Your customer has shelled money for this product and may not like that idea, and it may violate the warranty also.

As far as the streaking going away after 2-3 washes. That may be from the product not being removed completely when applied, and the washing may have removed it. I would continue to wash the vehicle only. If the customer comes to you in the future saying he is not happy with the product. Then I would mention a product like Opti Coat.

It seems very clear to me that your customer wants to protect the paint on his car, and paid alot of money for it. My suggestion to you would be to NOT to correct it, or apply anything over it. Just wash it.

Point out to him to look at the warranty, and see if reapplication is required to maintain the warranty provisions. If that is the case, then I would mention what I stated above.

Many detailers believe that coatings are a threat to their business which I disagree with completely. What I found was just the opposite to be true.When I showed them a way to protect and maintain their clear coat with easy maintainace. They gave my name to their friends and family to have their cars done. This was long before the internet and fancy web sites.

I was not going to fix it, I suggested to my client that he take the car back to the dealership and have them fix it. I just thought it was odd that the streaks were coming out just by washing it. With the opti-coat, streaking is a different story since what they offer is more of a permenant coating. Thanks for your advice

Archived