Questions about my new coat of Opti-Guard

soundwavefd

Hello,

I just got my car polished and coated with Opti-Guard (Paint/Wheels inc barrels/Trim) and I had a few questions:

1. How long does Opti-Guard last on wheels? I got the faces and barrels coated.

2. I had some clear-coat failure/pitting on my wheel barrels so it was down to the bare alloy. Was it ok to put Opti-Guard over it?

3. Does Opti-Coat make darker color cars look even darker? My car is a dark red and after polishing/Opti-Guard it looks even darker.

4. Do I need to wait the 30 days (full cure time) before I can top with OCW/Reload/etc?

5. Would it be ok to use a Daytona Speed Master wheel brush on the inside of the barrels when I wash the car or will this take off the coating?

Thanks,

Drew

For questions 1 and 2 he said that it might not last as long on the wheels especially wheel barrels because of the brake heat. And he did apply it over the pitted/missing clear coat wheel areas so I assume he has seen this before. For most of these questions consider myself pretty knowledgable about detailing/Opti-Coat but just wanted to get a feel for what people are experiencing.

Drew

It may not adhere as well to the areas of your wheels where the clear is gone, however, it certainly isn't going to hurt or make it worse. As for being darker, that could simply be due to the fact that the paint was corrected and the clear is just that now, clear. The Daytona brush shouldn't hurt if you're gentle. It certainly isn't going to remove the Opti-Guard. That stuff is tough! As far as using OCW, it really isn't necessary except if you like the look. It isn't going to last very long with the releasing properties of Opti-Guard, but no, it won't hurt. I use OID after washes personally.

Chris,

Would the heat of the brakes affect the coating on the wheel face or barrels and make for a shorter life? Or does Opti-Guard hold up pretty well to the heat? Also, I know Opti-Guard does not reach full hardness for 30 days so would washing the car before the 30 days put you at increased risk of wash induced swirls? A

Also, I had the detailer put one coat on my windshield wiper arms but it did not darken them up enough for my liking and I do have some Cquartz Dlux laying around. My question is, if I wanted to put a layer of the Dlux over the wiper arms or plastic trim that have been coated with Opti-Guard would the Dlux bond? Maybe if I did it within the 30 day window of applying Opti-Guard?

Thanks,

Drew

Drew, opti guard is the best wheel protectant there is, and will not be effected by the heat on the rims, generally by the time brake dust hits the rims it's already cooled to around 250 degrees.

Washing before 30 days is no problem, just wait till after 7 days, it'll be hard enough so as long as your washing habits are good you won't have problems.Not sure about dlux bonding. But I could test it for you, or you could just try it :)

Opti Coat Pro (Opti Guard) is extremely heat tolerant. There is no better wheel protection as John already stated.

If he already coated the wipers, then DLUX will not work. It will only stay on for a wash or two. Opti Coat will not allow it to bond.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Chris,

The Dlux wont bond to the Opti-Guard even if it is the 30 day cure window?

Drew

Chris,

One more question. I have reviewed Mike Phillips article on Autogeek on safely removing bird droppings. How long does Opti-Guard protect from bird droppings before it etches the coating? Is there anything specific with bird droppings and opti-guard that I need to know?

Drew

Opti Coat Pro (Opti Guard) is extremely heat tolerant. There is no better wheel protection as John already stated.

If he already coated the wipers, then DLUX will not work. It will only stay on for a wash or two. Opti Coat will not allow it to bond.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Off topic here, but did you replace your iPhone 5?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Archived