Opti Lens info?

fastmike

Just applied opti lens to an s2000 headlight and tail light.

I read its 24 hrs before it can get wet, 7 days before wash? Correct?

I also read on some forums that you should do 2 coats for more uv protection, but in this thread the reps are saying no....

So which is it?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My factory clear coating is peeling off both of the front lenses so at some point Ill have to sand it flat and polish it.

Can I use opti-lens for protection? Will it bond to the plastic lense (reading through the entire topic Im betting it will, considering it is good for black plastics), or does it only bond on clear coat?

What kind of durability can I expect?

Also what prep do you suggest for black trim aplication (APC and wipe down)? What kind of durability can I expect from it on trim?

Opti-Lens is formulated to bond to plastic headlights and is a permanent product. You would have to polish it off to remove (or use industrial strength solvent). A good decontamination cleaning before applying to trim should suffice.

My factory clear coating is peeling off both of the front lenses so at some point Ill have to sand it flat and polish it.

Can I use opti-lens for protection? Will it bond to the plastic lense (reading through the entire topic Im betting it will, considering it is good for black plastics), or does it only bond on clear coat?

Also what prep do you suggest for black trim aplication (APC and wipe down)? What kind of durability can I expect from it on trim?

Gloss Coat seems to be working on the trim of my dad's car that I applied it to.

Yes, the basic chemistry on our coatings is similar, the differences relate to surface bonding (plastic for Opti-Lens and glass for Opti-Glass) and operational differences (dealing with UV and wiper abrasion). Paint Prep works with all OPT coatings.

Also what prep do you suggest for black trim four (APC and wipe down)? What kind of durability can I expect from it on trim?

I am going three years and four months long on a twelve year old automobile that is a daily driver coated with Opti-Lens. I detail my vehicles regularly, but living in Southern California with drought conditions led me to letting this automobile go up to six months without washes (it is stored in the garage during the night). During the day it is a commuting road warrior. I can state, without question, that Opti-Lens is a superior coating as the headlights still look like new! This starting from a situation that you mentioned—factory peeling, and I do mean bad peeling and hazing.

3M makes an excellent inexpensive headlight restoration kit that is easily available at your bigger chain stores. I used the kit with my Griot's Garage small orbital versus the drill attachment in the kit. I did spend several hours sanding and prepping as this step is imperative. Coating application is super simple and my advice is to prep and coat all your other lens on your vehicle(s) at the same time.

Would I recommend Opti-Lens? Highly!!! If cost is a factor simply get some friends or family members to pitch in and do their lens too.

Great news from the both of you...

Guz what prep did you do on the trim?

For trim that did not need to be restored with another product I used APC, Optimum Paint Prep and Gloss Coat. For trim that needed to be restored I started off with a cleaning of APC followed by IPA and solution finish. I let that sit for for about 24 hours. Came back and gave the area a thorough wipedown followed a light wipedown of optimum paint prep and then coated it with gloss coat.

Thank you both for answering. Really helpfull from the both of you.

SoCal Garage

We live in different climates you and I but I still believe that opti-lens would be perfect for me. I have some shopping and prep work to do before I apply it but thanks for your experience.

Guz

Solution finish did feel to me to be more of a restorer than a protector so I would really benefit from some sort of a coating on top. Great idea.

Archived