OC over Xpel Ultimate film

CZStover

I have Xpel's Ultimate PPF, which is a "self-healing" film, on the front end of my Lexus. I would like to apply Opti-Coat over the entire vehicle (including the Xpel film), but have heard mixed opinions (none first hand) on various forums about the Opti-Coat's compatibility with Xpel Ultimate. The conjecture seems to come from a belief that Opti-Coat would/could affect the "self-healing" properties of the film. I emailed Xpel to get their opinion on this, but unfortunately they couldn't offer much in the way of guidance. Can anyone with OPT offer any advice and/or share experiences they've had with this? Thanks in advance!!

I have Xpel Ultimate PPF on the front of my vehicle and I Opti-Guarded right over it. I had heard the theories of it causing issues with the self healing properties but recently my car was repaired by a body shop and washed before being returned to me. Obviously, their wash methods aren't to a detailers standards and some swirls were left all over the car except for the film which reassures me that the OG or OC 2.0 will not cause any problems with the self healing properties. I think you will be better off putting the coating on and protecting the film as it is far more resilient than anything else out there. Hope my experience helps :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Coming back to an old thread, as I'm getting conflicting information specifically regarding Xpel self healing, swirls and OC

Unfortunately, I have to use a lot of automatic car washes

Assume I have a paint corrected car, peel etc all removed

If I have OC on top, then over time, the swirls will accumulate in the OC layer, right? This will not self heal. I would have to have the OC corrected to remove these swirls.

The contrary is if I just leave Xpel naked, then the swirls go straight to Xpel, which will self heal in heat. I know the trade off is the Xpel is now harder to clean since there's no OC on top of it.

Am I thinking about this the right way?

You are correct in that Opti-Coat will not self heal, and any correction of OC involves removing at least some coating. I know that XPel advertises "self-healing" but am not sure if any warranty covers machine washes (for sure OC warranty does not).

You are correct in that Opti-Coat will not self heal, and any correction of OC involves removing at least some coating. I know that XPel advertises "self-healing" but am not sure if any warranty covers machine washes (for sure OC warranty does not).

Thank you, very helpful. Trying to minimize those fine scratches and swirls.

Archived