How much Opti-Coat 2.0 for a Ram Pickup

Tom Guild

That should work for me but what do I leave out? For sure my white Ram Quad Cab would get a coat but what about my two Halreys, my wife's Tacoma, and my John Deere tractor?

Oh, how many coats are now recommended?

lol sounds like you need two syringes...

i only used one coat on mine and it looks pretty good IMO...but the newest version is layerable..im sure Chris will chime in.

Chris,

Thanks for the answer. Still not sure if I really want to go the Opti-Coat route on this truck. I've read just about every thread about Opti-coat on 3 forums. I may be "over-thinking". As far as I can tell no one in my area is using it. Sure would like to see the actual results before I tackle my truck. Also I have a couple of questions that don't seem to be answered all that well in the stuff I have read.

OK, Chris. Here goes.

I have been considering Opti-Coat for about a year. It all started when I leveled a bunch of paint nibs in the factory clear coat on my new Ram. I can see no evidence of damage but I am still not sure. Also there was correction in the repaint on the hood that may have compromised the clear coat. My major intent for using Opt-Coat is protection of the paint that is on the truck and at the same time have an appearance that approximates what I can do with traditional detailing products.

Application:

My truck has two fresh coats of Meguiar’s Ultimate Wax. I have Prep-Sol, Iso Alcohol and 3M Adhesive Remover on hand. What product would be the best to remove this wax? I also plan to polish the whole truck using Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish to remove any defects that might have shown up since I waxed the truck. I assume that I should polish the truck first and then use one of the solvents, right? Do I need to use Optimum solvents/polishes to insure good adhesion of Opti-Coat?

I am most concerned about the paint on my truck’s hood and roof. Can Opti-Coat be applied just to these areas and still have a perfect paint match with the rest of the truck?

What is the absolute most “surefire” applicator to use in applying Opti-Coat? There are a bunch of suggestions on various forums.

After carefully applying the product, should a microfiber cloth be used to lightly buff the whole panel that has just been treated and how long should a person wait to do this light buffing? Again varying suggestions are given on the forums.

After the product has been applied, can the applicator and microfiber cloth be washed and used again?

Maintenance:

I’m a guy who likes “slick”. Opti-Coat is not “slick”. Can any non-abrasive sealant/wax be use to “top” Opti-Coat? Can a cleaner/wax with mild abrasives be used? If a ”topper” is used, the Opti-Coat finish will exhibit the characteristics of the “topper”, beading, sheeting, and dirt repelling, right? An additional comment…I frequently use ONR when I wash the truck. It seems to be “nice and slick”. Might that be good enough?

To make a correction in the Opti-Coat finish, polish the area of the marring/scratch. Then lightly polish the remainder of the panel and reapply Opti-Coat to the whole panel. Is this correct?

If I wish to remove Opti-Coat and apply a “traditional” wax/sealant, how much polishing is required? Will a polish work (Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish) or is a compound (Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound) needed?

Longevity:

Opti-Coat may last indefinitely, but as it begins to wear, what are the symptoms and is the wear uniform? Is there any visible evidence that shows between the coated and uncoated areas?

My truck is “is on the road” only about 24 hours per week. When not “on the road”, it is garaged both day and night. It is not exposed to any industrial pollution. However, it sees a lot of good old gravel road dust. What kind of longevity can I expect under these conditions.

My Ram is white. Can you assure me that there is no chance of Opti-Coat yellowing?

Body shop repairs and the compatibility with Opti-Coat is still a major concern. Over the years I have had a “ton of do overs’” from high quality shops. If a shop uses normal prep procedures, should there be any problems with repainting?

I am quite sure that the answers to these questions are scattered throughout the various detailing forums, including this one. As a matter of fact there are quite likely differing answers (and that’s a problem for me). I guess I’d like to see the answers in one place directly from the “Optimum Guy”. Heck, might as well include Dr. G too.

Thanks.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

1. On a white surface there will be no yellowing.

2. There is no reason to top with a cleaner/wax combo. A topper wax can be used but will have a short longevity

3. ONR is a great product to use on your coated vehicle.

4. Longevity with your good old gravel road dust is dependent on your wash technique to remove it. With a proper wash it won't make a difference.

Please don't take this the wrong way but IMO you are overthinking this process.OC and OCP are proven products with a excellent track record. You will find haters no matter what forum you visit. Even stranger is a lot of those posters have never even tried the product. Detailers nation wide have been coating everything from daily drivers to exotics with great success. Try OC on your truck and I'm sure you will be happy. If not completely satisfied you can polish/abrade it off and continue with the process you currently use.

Paul,

I "overthink" many of my projects. The result...I never start them. However, I am planning to Opti-Coat my truck mid summer. Might as well get some use out of the detail I did a couple of weeks ago and by then I'll have "thought" enough about which applicator to use. :)

Tom

Archived