OOC inplace of ONR and ID&GE?

neonglh

This is my first post, so I may have other questions similar to this in the future, but let's start with this. I love the Optimum product line! I currently use ONR for rinseless washing with the traditional 1 or 2 bucket method, but I also use ONR in a higher dilution rate for waterless washes. When my car is not too dirty, I will soak a panel with a spray bottle of ONR and distilled water, and wipe with a soft, thick microfiber towel. Once clean, I go over the panel again with ID&GE. This seems to get a great shine to the car.

Once every few months I seal with OOS, and maybe once a month I use OCW. I am completely happy with this procedure.

I now see there is OOC (which I admit, I didn't know about until now). Should I use OOC instead of a higher dilution of ONR for my waterless washes? What would be the benefit of OOC instead of ONR, when it comes to waterless washes.

Please advise!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I now see there is OOC (which I admit, I didn't know about until now). Should I use OOC instead of a higher dilution of ONR for my waterless washes? What would be the benefit of OOC instead of ONR, when it comes to waterless washes.

Please advise!

Mark

First of all, welcome to the forum, Mark!

While there's not as much traffic here as some of the other forums, you'll find all you need to know about Optimum products here.

As for your question, I have and use all three products and all have their place in any detailer's arsenal. OID is a superb final step detail spray for light dust, as it both cleans and adds gloss and slickness. ONR's main intent was to be a rinseless product, used in very weak concentrations. It's a very good clay lube and also an effective detailer in the proper situations, such as removing compounding dust between steps of a multi-step polishing process. Anything more than a light dusting, including water spots, should be done with OOC, as its higher concentration of cleaners, surfactants, lubricants or whatever else the Doctor has included in the bottle are better equipped to safely remove surface contaminants without harming the finish.

IMO, if a vehicle has been parked outside overnight or has had the dust bonded to the finish from either rain or dew, a true waterless wash product, such as OOC is the best and safest choice. Even with my garage queen El Camino, a couple days worth of dust gets handled well with a detailer, but a couple weeks worth of garage dust deserves OOC for the safest removal. As a side benefit, OOC also serves as an effective interior detailer. It will clean light dirt without removing any previously applied protectant and add a bit of protection and slickness. In concentrate form, it's also less expensive than any ready-to-use spray detailers.

Bill

• 6 months later...

What would be the benefit of OOC instead of ONR, when it comes to waterless washes.

Opti-Clean leaves behind some protection, as well as being specifically designed for the waterless process, as Billy Jack noted. It's not the most cost effective waterless out there, however.

Hi, can I add on a question? Should I use either OID or OCW after an opticlean wash?

As I noted above, Opti-Clean has some protective qualities to it, so IMO OID or OCW would be a bit of overkill, but they won't hurt, either.

Opti-Clean leaves behind some protection, as well as being specifically designed for the waterless process, as Billy Jack noted. It's not the most cost effective waterless out there, however.

As I noted above, Opti-Clean has some protective qualities to it, so IMO OID or OCW would be a bit of overkill, but they won't hurt, either.

So what waterless do you see as more cost effective? and does that product do the job as well?

So what waterless do you see as more cost effective? and does that product do the job as well?

There has been quite a proliferation of waterless washes, and many of them are less expensive than Opti-Clean, but I'm not going to start listing other products here on the Optimum forum.

Do they do the job as well? I only have the older (original) version of Opti-Clean, but it is different than some of the other waterless products that are "lighter", meaning they seem to have less solids content that dries hazy if you don't get it wiped down completely. Opti-Clean seems to leave more protection behind, which is presumably what the solids are.

So Opti-Clean and some of the other products do the job differently from each other, I can't say if one does "as well" as the other. And I haven't used every waterless product out there by a long shot.

Archived