OCW On New Paint??

pwaug

Having some body work done on my car after a minor accident and wondering about protection on the newly painted panels. There is a constant debate about how long you have to wait for the paint to outgas before you apply an LSP, but have read a number of posts on various forums that OCW is safe to use on fresh auto paint because it is water based and allows the paint to breath. One post even stated that Ford has approved OCW for use on fresh paint. However, have not found any of that information on the description of OCW or on the label.

Can anyone confirm if OCW is safe to use on fresh paint??

I'm not chemist by any means but here are some thoughts: What did the shop say about cure time for the repaint? Is the work covered by a warranty? Optimum Car Wax is water based but once it dries/cures, it is no longer water-soluble, otherwise, it would wash right off. A product being water based does not neccessarily indicate that it "breathes". The whole point of paint protection is to seal it from the elements. Perhaps the paint will still cure with OCW applied but to be safe, and avoid violating any warranty issues, your paint should be just fine withought protection during the time the body shop recommends for paint cure time.

Did a body shop or a Ford dealer do the paint work? I would think Ford would only make recommendations regarding factory applied paint since it is catalyzed and cures due to a chemical reaction and it cures before it leaves the factory. I would ask the shop that applied the paint what their recommendation is regarding application of sealants/waxes on their paint, just to be safe, since they know if they used a catalyzed paint or a laquer paint which does need time to outgas..

You should be fine to use OCW on fresh paint. Technically you are supposed to wait 90 days, but the 90 days thing has been around forever and is really more of a suggestion at this point. As long as the shop did everything right you should be fine. I have several cars running around that we painted with OCW on fresh paint... Have yet to have one come back with an issue.

If you have any other questions about fresh paint feel free to ask me.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

• 3 years later...

I had fresh paint on my Honda element done  hood and quarter panal at one of the best body shops in Toronto Canada 

Water based paint 

They did a great job waited about a week then just washed with opti wash then after a two months  opti gloss and wax  

This what they told me to do looks great

Archived