Different application technique

Just to satisfy a wild hair I decided to apply Optimum Wax with a buffer! I chose the PC over the Cyclo due to it having speed control. A 5 1/4" low profile white pad was used. I lightly primed the pad with the wax and put a couple of spritzes on the trunk. I worked a little at lower speeds then went to 6 and worked the wax in until it practically disappeared. This was done slowly with varying patterns as though you were working a polish. A light touch was used to allow maximum rotation of the small pad. Although there was little or nothing to be seen I wiped the surface down with a thick MF towel......

Much to my surprise the surface appeared jeweled or spit shined for lack of better terms. The difference between an area where it was hand applied and machine applied was simply remarkable! This was on a champagne colored Corolla, a color difficult to make jump out at you. Pictures, especially considering my camera ability, would not have captured this multi faceted glow so there are none. I then went to my Redondo Red Honda and experienced the same remarkable "jeweled" transformation. Since these are our cars they are in top shape paintwise. In all honesty I never would have thought this technique to have such a totally extraordinary outcome especially considering how well the cars looked initially.

I highly recommend you give this a try. For colors like silver, champagne, etc., that are tough to make look deep and wet.......you just won't believe your eyes. For dark colors that are easier to make bling, it's a mind blower.

Yep, one of my early concerns was with OCW that it lacks a certain degree of immediacy. Looks good initially... but doesn't bite back. Then it reaches its full optical potential as it cures, so this application technique is definitely worth the try. Hope that the new gen OCW will be tuned this way.

I'm guessing that the heat from the friction of the rapidly spinning pad burnished the wax into the paint. Whatever the reason the outcome was well worth the effort, believe me. It simply took the OCW to a different level in appearance.

I'm guessing that the heat from the friction of the rapidly spinning pad burnished the wax into the paint. Whatever the reason the outcome was well worth the effort, believe me. It simply took the OCW to a different level in appearance.

This is basically why it worked the way it did.

We recommend that people in colder climates apply OCW with a polisher because it helps to melt or burnish the carnauba part of the spray wax.

I was just talking with David on the phone and we were discussing UV absorbers and spray waxes in general and how some years ago when I first brought Optimum spray wax to the attention of other detailers on the forums that it was not taken very seriously. Sure it had some interested folks but the majority figured it to be all hype and that no way a spray wax could be used as your sole sealant and no way it could outlast a paste wax. Now several years later every manufacturer, distributor and their grandmother has a "spray wax" out now that claims to be "easy", "fast" and "durable"......now it's the paste waxes which get questioned, as in, "Why spend that time using a paste wax when a spray wax is mush easier and looks and lasts the same if not better?"

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...

I, too, have tried this application method and it is spectacular! However, the next day, the finish had a discernable streaky haze. I have heard it referred to as "the dreaded OCW haze!" The haze removed easily, but was back again the next day. I can only guess that I used too much OCW but it sure didn't seem at the time that I used any more than normal. Anyone have any tips for correcting the problem? The initial look of the OCW when applied this way is definitely worth it, there must be some way to get rid of the haze...

Not streaks...haze. Only hazed on me once when applying by hand, when I tried to apply about 5 coats one after another. Obviously, I never did it that way again. When applied by DA, the initial appearance was perfect but it was almost as if something was leeching out of the coating as it cured and the next day the finish was quite cloudy. When that was removed, the finish looked good again, but the cloudiness was back again the next day. In any event, application by DA really does take the look of OCW to the next level and I would love to be able to apply this way without experiencing the problem. By the way, check the old posts on Autopia, that's where I got the phrase,"Dreaded OCW haze." I didn't make it up. Any thoughts? Check out the red RX-3 in the Concours Garage section. That is the type of look I got with a one-coat DA application or at least quite close. No way I could get that look by hand! Anyway, thanks for your attention.

Yep, I kow the difference. No matter what I'done with OCW is has never caused any film continuity problems whatsoever. No haze, no streaking.

Perhaps it wasn't shaken up well... Some carnauba migration occurred???

OCW will haze a single stage paint, since it is NOT designed for it.....was your paint single stage?

I also have a Redondo Red Pearl Acura TL....great color!!! Deep with just enough gold fleck in it to really jump out and sparkle!! I've used OCW as long as I have owned it & plan on trying some optiseal soon!!

I actually did a comparo between Trade Secret Carnuba and OCW on 1/2 the trunk each (trunk was washed and polished using LC white and OP before to make things fair).......I had my wife come out and pick which side of the trunk she liked better................she picked the OCW!!! Plus it was WAY easier to apply...just sprayed on and wiped off.....much easier than TS....

No, paint is b/c. I dunno, maybe Bence is right and I just didn't shake it...been using the stuff for years, though, so I know how its done. Anthony? Dr. G? As far as OS, it truly is a quantum leap in finish care product. It yields a great finish regardless of application method, but when you consider that you just spray, spread and work in lightly, its a mind blower! All I'll say is BUY IT! The whole point of my post is that I want to maintain the OS with weekly, or bi-weekly applications of OCW. When applied by DA, as per the OP, the finish of OCW rivals that of OS, so it will be quite easy to maintain a stellar finish with very little effort. Then, every 4-6 months start over with a polish or PS, OS, OCW. That haze was the fly in the ointment!

• 1 month later...

Sounds like an issue with condensation on the cars paint since it only occurs the next morning.

I would be interested to see if leaving it out in the sun will clear up the haze.

OCW is like wine. Where wine gets better with age so does Optimum spray wax as the polymer chains get longer...the older it is the longer it lasts.

My other thought would be that the pad was contaminated?

If nothing, try to go over the paint after washing with a light mist of OCW minus the polisher.

Anthony

For a quick side note, Optimum Opti-Seal, Zaino Clear Seal and now Ultima are 3 sealants that are becoming well known for being sealants that you wipe on and walk away and at some point each wants to claim that their sealant was first in this category or that this is new technology (being a wipe on walk away) but in reality Optimum spray wax was and is the first of its kind and is, when used correctly, the first wipe on walk away product.

One can spray a panel, wipe the product in until evaporated and you're done. There is no residue to buff off, nothing to dry. Now after some 5 years it's getting a makeover, just a tweak here and there to make it easier, more slickness and gloss.

Anthony

Archived