the effects of tire dressings on interior surfaces

beachy

Can anyone explain what happens when tire dressing chemicals are bonded to interior surface coverings (paint) and are exposed to the catalytic property of solar radiation in the summer time?

I have attempted to gain some intelligent insights about the chemical processes involved prior to this post. I continue to observe the results of these conditions, but have little to tell my customers other than the fact that I have observed these conditions in several cars.

I tell my customers that we never dress interiors, because of the accelerated wear caused by the chemical reaction, and that the dressing is used only by inferior detailing technicians who try to make things look clean without actually having cleaned them (shortcuts). We use steam. If the interior has already been damaged by previous dressing applications we are forced to replenish moisture with a light coat of dressing after a thorough cleaning.

Today, we had to perform the above process on a Mercedes that had obviously been compromised by liberal applications of tire dressings in the past. Frustrating!

I believe that the dressings act as a solvent on the chemical level, accelerated by the heat of solar radiation, thereby destroying the molecular bond between the plastic trim panels and their chemical surface coverings.

I am looking for a very technical answer. Most of my customers are educated, and so am I. I prefer to have the ability to explain things in a technical manner for my technically-oriented customers. That is a large portion of my market.

Archived