Opticoat 2.0 after 3 days

jpmc86

Hey guys!

I applied opticoat to my moms car this Saturday and wanted to know what you guys thought in terms of the beading.

I first washed the car with ajax dish soap and then clayed the car and made sure the paint was super smooth. Then I dried the car and did a Meguires 205 polish on each panel and went over each panel about two to three times with a DA.

After polishing the car I rewashed with ajax dishwashing soap until the water would not bead or sheet off the paint on each panel. Once this was done I dried the car and used a blower to dry in between each panel.

I used the applicator/microfiber application method on each panel using up and down and sideways strokes to cover the area. I waited about 2 to 3 minutes to allow each panel to flash and then lightly gave each panel a one over with a microfiber.

There were no streaks or anything noticeable once the car was done. The car got wet today which is three days after the application. The car has not been washed since before the application.

These are pictures of the car with just rain left over without hosing the car down.

image-1-1.jpeg

image-3.jpeg

image-2-1.jpeg

These are pictures after rinsing with the hose.

photo5-2.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

photo3-5.jpg

photo2-6.jpg

photo1-5.jpg

What do you guys think?

Are you concerned that the beading isn't as good as it should be?

What do I think? I think M205 is really oily and I would have used some OPC or IPA before coating.

However if Yvan thinks the beading looks good then I'll defer to him.

I washed the car with ajax soap which is pretty strong detergent considering my hands were as dry as sandpaper when I was done. I did this until no beading or sheeting would happen when rinsing with water which didn't take that much after the polishing. I then dried the car and used a blower to dry and then applied the opticoat.

Ok, so the purpose of your post is what then? Do you want a pat on the back or are asking whether the beading looks right? I already answered you the one way, so, I'll just second Yvan--wow! Great Job!

I honestly don't know where you are going with this. Ajax dish soap is not what I would have used for prep. Dish soap has all kinds of things in it unrelated to the needs for prep for automotive coatings, Dr. G will be the first to tell you that.

You wanted to know what we think...well, I think a lot of things on a lot of different topics. I've given you some thoughts on some of them, and I'll even go so far as to say I think it's too cold tonight. If you have something more specific that you are getting at, I can't parse it and therefore can't help you.

I believe and I am sure most on here will agree you should honestly take a chill pill. I'm not sure if things in your life are in check, perhaps it is why you respond in such an aggressive manner, perhaps you just have to hide here on a forum to give such responses because in real life people would not tolerate that from you.

Now back on topic. Ajax soap is an equivalent to DAWN soap and it has been mentioned that they have used it to strip waxes and oils from paint and used prior to opticoat. Furthermore, Both Dave and Ron have mentioned to me as well that it was a proper method of application. As to Dr. G telling me that, well I guess well have to wait and see if he does so.

It seems that based on your responses (which seem to be full of nothing) I will never get anywhere, therefore, I will just wait for a response from other forum posters.

As to what you think and how far you could go to share those thoughts... really just keep them to yourself people have better things to do.

Heres looking at ya :clap2[1]:

Ok, so the purpose of your post is what then? Do you want a pat on the back or are asking whether the beading looks right? I already answered you the one way, so, I'll just second Yvan--wow! Great Job!

I honestly don't know where you are going with this. Ajax dish soap is not what I would have used for prep. Dish soap has all kinds of things in it unrelated to the needs for prep for automotive coatings, Dr. G will be the first to tell you that.

You wanted to know what we think...well, I think a lot of things on a lot of different topics. I've given you some thoughts on some of them, and I'll even go so far as to say I think it's too cold tonight. If you have something more specific that you are getting at, I can't parse it and therefore can't help you.

Hey, thanks for the life advice. As far as my responses being full of nothing, what is it that you are looking for? Are you just looking for someone to validate you? I really don't know who Dave and Ron are, if you are talking about Ron from San Antonio, he and Anthony Orosco are probably the foremost experts on Opti-Coat application, and I really don't recall Ajax dish soap being their recommended OC prep.

If you post "what do you guys think?" you're going to have to be grown-up enough to take some constructive criticism or you're just wasting your time.

Maybe the more important question is what does your mom think of the beading?

The beading is weak and the water beads are irregular for Opti Coat. If I had to guess, I would say the m205 wasn't fully removed or you may have worked/spread the product too thin. Tell me a little more about your process and I'll be happy to help you diagnose the issue.

Chris thanks for your prompt response. after polishing the car with the m205 I washed the car with dish soap comparable to dawn a couple of times to remove any oils from the wax. After I washed the car thoroughly the water would just remain as a whole without separation on each panel, like a big layer of water on the paint. Basically the water was not sliding off the panels. I then dried the car with a clean microfiber and used a blower in between the panel seams.

I wiped each panel with a dry microfiber before I applied the opticoat. I used the yellow pad provided by the opticoat kit and primed it with an X and then some dots around the pad of the opticoat. I applied it to each panel in up and down strokes as well as side to side.

After applying it about an minute or two per panel I would wipe it down with another dry microfiber without putting pressure and without rubbing the panel execesively.

After the application I left the car in a garage for about five hours, and about 32 hours later after application it rained on the car. These pictures have been taken without washing the car after the opticoat application (beginning to wonder if there might be a layer of dust or debris on the paint already) that is not allowing the beading to be uniform.

The panels that I doubt the most are the roof and the trunk, it seems like the bonnet might actually be doing fine, not sure what you think based on the photos of the respective panels.

Thanks for your time in going over my procedure, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry the other reply was from my phone, and yes teh beading is weak. Here are some of the possible issues with your application.

1 Dish soap while great at removing wax and other things may not have completly cleansed the surface, IPA wipe down would have improved the situation, and polishing with Hyper polish would be the best case scenario.

2 Curing time seems a little weak. Time is not as much a factor as is appearence. You want to apply to the car as you stated, then watch the surface. It will go from clear, to streaky and sort of an oil slick on water look, then go back to clear. When about 75% of the surface is back to clear, then you go over it with MF towel to "level" the surface. I can't state a definate time, because moisture, temperature, and aplication thickness all have there word to say in the equation.

3 Amount of product used, That size of sedan should consule about 15cc of 2.0 for the paint. If you used considerably less this could have an effect on the outcome.

Sorry the other reply was from my phone, and yes teh beading is weak. Here are some of the possible issues with your application.

1 Dish soap while great at removing wax and other things may not have completly cleansed the surface, IPA wipe down would have improved the situation, and polishing with Hyper polish would be the best case scenario.

2 Curing time seems a little weak. Time is not as much a factor as is appearence. You want to apply to the car as you stated, then watch the surface. It will go from clear, to streaky and sort of an oil slick on water look, then go back to clear. When about 75% of the surface is back to clear, then you go over it with MF towel to "level" the surface. I can't state a definate time, because moisture, temperature, and aplication thickness all have there word to say in the equation.

3 Amount of product used, That size of sedan should consule about 15cc of 2.0 for the paint. If you used considerably less this could have an effect on the outcome.

Yvan, would an OPC work as good as an IPA? if not would IPA percentage and dilution would you use? Can you point me in the right direction as to the procedure for the IPA wipedown? I don't have hyperpolish and I really don't wish to polish anymore as I believe the paints finish is pretty good. Any ideas as to what should be done to reapply the opticoat?

The beading is weak and the water beads are irregular for Opti Coat. If I had to guess, I would say the m205 wasn't fully removed or you may have worked/spread the product too thin. Tell me a little more about your process and I'll be happy to help you diagnose the issue.

agreed..

Chris knows his stuff...

Yvan, would an OPC work as good as an IPA? if not would IPA percentage and dilution would you use? Can you point me in the right direction as to the procedure for the IPA wipedown? I don't have hyperpolish and I really don't wish to polish anymore as I believe the paints finish is pretty good. Any ideas as to what should be done to reapply the opticoat?

sorry, but you will have to polish off the opti coat to reapply it properly...

Primo, First look was on my phone, sorry.

I agree you need to get back to clean paint to do it correctly. Hyper Polish is not expensive and works fast, plus is the best base you can get for Opti Coat.

sorry, but you will have to polish off the opti coat to reapply it properly...

Thanks primo! great stuff here.

Primo, First look was on my phone, sorry.

I agree you need to get back to clean paint to do it correctly. Hyper Polish is not expensive and works fast, plus is the best base you can get for Opti Coat.

Yvan, thanks for the valued input.

I spoke to David from Optimum and he had been checking in on the thread trying to see what was happening. We came to the conclusion that the cheapest and most time efficient solution was to wash the roof, trunk and hood with Dawn soap and reapply Opticoat to the these panels. I went a step ahead and did a 20% IPA wipe down on the panels. I then applied the Opticoat in broad daylight and made sure I covered all the area. I timed it at about 5 minutes using an air blower at the five minute mark to make sure there was no more flashing to be done. After I made sure there was no more flashing I passed a microfiber over the high spots without putting any pressure at all until they were eliminated.

The only concern now is that about 45 minutes to an hour after the application was done moisture started to develop on the top of these panels. Can this have an effect on the outcome?

I figured if this does not make the situation better, I will go ahead and do the hyper polish on those panels and reapply then.

Thanks for all the valuable data that has been given by you guys, this is what these forums are all about.

Archived