Nobby's Garage in Oz

Nobby

As requested by ehall, here is a couple of pix of my Australian Ford.

It has an I6, 4.0l making 190kw & 383Nm of Torque. Backed to a ZF 6 speed auto, it as awesome to drive.

Falcon01a.jpg

Falcon02a.jpg

And my project car, well just the main paint damage I'm trying to fix on my Hyundai Excel. I gained confidence using my Bosch RO on this car and then applied what I learnt to my Falcon, where I learnt more on again.

ExcelBonnet03.jpg

Nice Ford!!

How come we don't get the overseas cars on our side of the pond???

Instead Ford gives us the 500....what's up with that? :angry:

Anthony

Thanks, yes, we wonder the exact same thing, have heard alot of Americans love the shape of our Falcon, and with the I6 turbo, and V8 model they have plenty of power. We are losing our 4.0l I6 in favour of your 3.5l V6 in 2009/10. I've heard good things about it, but alot of Aussie Ford Fans are saving to buy one of the last 4.0l I6, either XR6 turbo, or its beefier brother, the Typhoon(orange car below).

This is an impression of what the new model is supposed to be looking like(due mid next year I think), these are the FPV (Ford Performance Vehicle) range. The V8 model, GT, has the bonnet bulge.

FPV-Falcon-F6-big.jpg

FPV-Falcon-GT-big.jpg

Some Progress on my Hyundai, I've been using a Bosch RO, Edge pads, Menzerna Intensive Polish & Final Finish. When I wax it will either be OCW or Meguiars NXT, haven't decided yet, might just keep the OCW for the Falcon but with OCW's ease of use I'm tempted to use it on both.

OK, first one is the bonnet after wet sanding then buffing dry

ExcelBonnet10.jpg

Next is a close up of the damage, I'm beginning to think the paper I used was too coarse

ExcelBonnet11.jpg

Even closer after 1 pass with IP on yellow

ExcelBonnet12.jpg

And finally, after about 4-5 passes of IP on yellow, can't remember if I used any FF here yet??

ExcelBonnet13.jpg

I'm guessing the sand paper I used was 600grit?? Found a sheet that had "No 600 Fine" printed on the back. I found the sheet after starting and although it said fine grade on the packet, and I used it to varnish a book case that came up really good, 600 isn't anywhere near 2000 like in the tutorial here.

Like I said before though, its my project car, and the small area I did won't be as noticable as if i didn't touch it. Plus now I get to play around fixing it next time I give it a full detail. Happy Days!!

600 grit!!??

Way too coarse there buddy....600 is used for actual body work but should never be used on finished paint. Only use 2000 grit or higher for finished paint work.

Also make sure you block sand instead of using just your hand or fingers as this may result in uneven pressure applied.

So you could start with 2500 grit, finish with a light going over with 3000 and then polish.

Anthony

Also make sure you block sand instead of using just your hand or fingers as this may result in uneven pressure applied.

So you could start with 2500 grit, finish with a light going over with 3000 and then polish.

Anthony

Thanks for the advice, I will endeavour to chase some up and remedy it. Didn't think I'd need the block for a small area, but keeping ti even makes sense.

I was so keen to give it a go I just grabbed the only sand paper I had, but like I said, I'd used it when varnishing so thought it would be fine. Live and Learn!!

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some Pictures of some wedding cars I detailed for Friday just gone, the XR6 is obviously mine, Mazda is the Bride & Grooms. Both cars looked awesome with OCW in the Sun, the metallic flake really stood out!!

wed001.jpg

wed002.jpg

wed003.jpg

wed004.jpg

wed005.jpg

wed006.jpg

wed007.jpg

wed008.jpg

Very Nice! Great gloss on both cars, especially the Ford.

Did you wax the ribbons also :lshic[1]:

Think I should have bought some silk ribbon, the tape she bought left some marks from rubbing while blowing in the breeze. Was only a one off though, but if I do it again i'll know.

Hi Nobby

here is mine

182kw power, 387 nm torque

1998 Ford AU1 Tickford XR6 VCT

It came with bi plane twin deck spoiler and bodykit from the factory.

Done 83,300 km's

CopyofDSCN0319.jpg

aurigaataufalconday2.jpg

aurigamirrorfinish.jpg

For some reason I can't see your Pix, sounds pretty sweet though.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, those rims look pretty sweet!! I was never a fan of the AU, or the BA for that matter. Was one shape that grew on me, and by the time it came to replace the EF I was a big fan of the BF shape, and that ZF 6 speed auto is the best thing Ford put in their current cars. Sad though as I'll be selling it soon!!

Archived