Actual snake oil products...the myth buster list

ehall

This thread is here to create a list of things that an amatuer might find, and be sold upon, that is total crap, fraud, "snake oil' or otherwise a complete and known rip off.

If you, as a professional detailer, know that the science, and or real experience with a product, doesn't stand up to reality, you should post it here.

This is the place for cheap, fake scratch remover junk, fake "shine" agents, etc.

If you've seen it on T.V. for 19.95 and you know the claims to be a lie, this is the place to post that info.

NO! This is not a place to say Optimum is better than (name brand, well tested, respected product).(Nor is it the place to do the opposite.) This is for the late night info-mercial junk.

Some products are just flat out damaging and/or misrepresentative. This thread is a place for those.

Please stick to the above rules. So far we're pretty good at that around here.

I'd like to see this be a place to dispell common myths and snake oil products, so that new amatuers won't damage their finishes and/or waste their money. :thumbsupup[1]:

NuFinish isn't really all that bad of a product as it does add a shine plus leave behind protection but there are far superior products out there. I believe NuFinish is outdated compared to the new technologies out there and because it was on late night TV infomercials it's never taken seriously.

Another winner was "AURI" sold by the little British guy with the red bow tie. I believe that stuff ended up ruining paint.

Anthony

Come on... you mean you guys aren't dying to try some of that new Simoniz "Fix-It" scratch remover? :thumbsupup[1]:

All you have to do is wipe it on, and wipe it off and most scratches "disappear". For the really tough scratches, simply use the included "buffer". (looks like a power toothbrush). :D

What's really amazing is the number of unsuspecting consumers who will actually buy this crap!

Come on... you mean you guys aren't dying to try some of that new Simoniz "Fix-It" scratch remover? :thumbsupup[1]:

All you have to do is wipe it on, and wipe it off and most scratches "disappear". For the really tough scratches, simply use the included "buffer". (looks like a power toothbrush). :D

What's really amazing is the number of unsuspecting consumers who will actually buy this crap!

The scary thing is Detail Guy, if I remember correctly, is that Consumer Reports gave the Fix It pretty high marks for automobile waxes.

In so far as snake oil products go...some of us over 35'rs might remember when infomercials were fairly new. During that time, they were offering a car wax product called "Auri". They used all the whistles and bells you see from the vendors at car shows now including the lighting the hood on fire, using a sharpie on the paint, everything short of squeezing a pigeon out over the paint!! My coworker and I, both night shift workers, jumped on that band wagon and bought two 16 oz bottles for something like$40. Needless to say, it wasn't any better than turtle wax.

The scary thing is Detail Guy, if I remember correctly, is that Consumer Reports gave the Fix It pretty high marks for automobile waxes.

That doesn't surprise me. Consumer Reports is a pretty decent resource for some items... car care products are not on that list.

That doesn't surprise me. Consumer Reports is a pretty decent resource for some items... car care products are not on that list.

No kidding. In a recent test of waxes, Consumer Reports knocked points away from P21S Carnauba Wax because they found it does not do a good job cleaning the paint surface while being applied. It appears they forgot to do their homework since P21S is NOT supposed to clean the surface of your paint!!!!

• 4 months later...
No kidding. In a recent test of waxes, Consumer Reports knocked points away from P21S Carnauba Wax because they found it does not do a good job cleaning the paint surface while being applied. It appears they forgot to do their homework since P21S is NOT supposed to clean the surface of your paint!!!!

Most consumer retail products like Nu-Finish are cleaner waxes, so yes it does remove minor swirls and scracthes and protect with an old fashion sealant, so this might give the impression it does more than just a pure wax like P21S with no abrasives to clean or remove minor scratches.

• 2 years later...

how about NuFinish- the once a year car polish, is that a gimick or what?

Rated #1 by leading consumer testing magazines for protection, durability, gloss improvement and best retail value.

Both Liquid and Paste are the only products to have been rated #1 by the leading U.S. consumer testing magazine.

Only car polish tough enough to be called, "The Once-A-Year Car Polish."

No rubbing - No buffing.

Can be applied in direct sunlight.

Only product in the market that contains no wax.

Available in liquid or soft paste.

Money back guarantee

Wash and dry car > Apply sparingly with damp cloth to one area at a time with circular motions > Let dry to a haze > Wipe with clean dry cloth, turning frequently > For maximum protection, apply second coat in 30 days

Oh man I'm sold on it, where can I get this magical stuff :D

• 1 year later...

I have one to add. CroftGateUSA Quick N Slick. It certainly feels slick after applying it, but it only lasts two weeks at most. The pitchman for their company claimed "up to four months." Stuff is absolute junk and expensive. I have a whole 32 oz bottle doing what it does best....collecting dust. In all honesty, it's partly my fault for believing a guy who also claims gravity pulls wax off of cars. Let that be a lesson to me I guess.

Lol gravity pulls wax off, that's awesome!

Yeah, at first I was sucked into their whole company, but, then I began to realize that their stuff wasn't holding up as I thought it was. Two years ago, their waterless wash (Aquanil-X) was cutting edge but then OPT, Meguiars, Ultima and others started to develop their own versions and each one was better. When I started to express my concern that their product was falling behind (my close friend and I were asked to do some testing for them) I got a rather nasty reaction. I was only trying to help but I guess they didn't see it that way. I was really taken aback as I don't feel I was rude about it but rather just giving positive criticism as I thought testers were supposed to do. Long story short, some certain people started to insult other companies (Meguiars, OPT, Ultima) and I just felt that was not appropriate or called for. I know people try to put down others to try and make themselves better all of the time but I just choose not to associate with those types of people. It's a real shame because when they first brought out their products they had a lot of potential to make a mark in the car care market. I can say that their Tire Shine is nice though. Oh well. I'm happier using OPT, Megs and Ultima and the other tester and I have remained really great friends so as a whole I count the experience as positive :)

Archived