Best Polish to bring out metal flakes

james

I have a 2008 Ford Edge that is in immaculate shape. The color, in 08 was called "White Sand Triple Coat" This is a very light cream, boadering on white, with very subtile metal flakes. I detailed the car the other weekend, strip, clay, polish, IPA wipe down, two coats of sealer and two coats of spray wax. The car came out very shinny and slick but not you can't hardly see the metal flakes! I found a discussion on this somewhere on this forum, with suggestions but can't find it know. The polish I used. because I had some, was Black Light with a black pad and I am thinking that is the problem. I will detail again in the early fall with something else, unless I get tired of the look before then but would appreciate some suggestions on a polish that might bring out the metal flakes.

Thanks

Jim Phillips

It's most likely that the wax you added mutes the flake. Polishing and sealing creates optical clarity...wax usually looks like candy coat or a glow which makes solid colors look incredibly deep, but can sometimes mute the flake on metallics. I recommend Optimum Hyper Polish then seal with Optimum OptiSeal or Opti Coat.

Thanks Chris.The wax I used was pinnicle spray wax and put it over the optiseal. I am to old and lazy to do much taping, so the question is...does your Hyper Polish stain trim and does it wipe off the paint easilly? The other day I talked to one of your people on the phone and bought a sample of Optimum spray wax and he sent a sample of NR and shine with it. Love it and have since ordered some NR wash and wax. During the discussion we talked about OptiSeal and how you can just about put it over anything and it will migrate thru wax and previous sealant. He also flittered across that he tends to use it instead of the spray wax after washing. That caught me by surprise and I didn't quiz him about it. What are your thoughts on using it after washes instead of the optimum spray wax ? Will it build up to much?

Thanks

Jim

Hyper Polish and most all abrasive products will stain trim if not removed completely...but, Optimum Car Wax and Optimum Opti Seal can be used without hesitation on all surfaces because they have no abrasives that would stain. I don't see any problem using OS after a wash instead of OCW and it won't build up in a bad way. It may be wasteful after 2-3 coats...but it won't look bad or anything.

Thanks again Chris. If you would, clarify a question on sealants, if you would. I have Opti-seal , WolfGang Deep Gloss Spray and Blackfire paint protection. Two are WOWA and one is apply and buff off. Basically these are all sealants correct ? other than you can put the Opti-seal over stuff and it migrates thru to the paint which would seem to make it more versitle. I have limited experience with each. The only reason I have all three is because, probably like others I keep looking for one to shine or protect better than the next. I really want to settle on one product and stay there. I know this is like asking :The fox that guards the hen house" on the optimum forum but I know you will give me a straight up honest answer.

Jim

Archived