Optimum Gloss-Coat

Ron Harris

1 hour ago, Blue Dream said:

Is there any downside to using ONRWW and Opti-Seal as a drying agent after an hour of applying Gloss Coat?  Will the WW work well with the OS like ONRWS does?  Should I just do the WW first the follow up with the OS?  Love this forum, thanks for having me.  I am a long time user of more than 10 years of ONRWS and a newer fan of the rest of the Optimum line.  I have religiously used Wolfgang, Menzerna/ Jescar and Pooorboy's World Natty's blue in that timeframe.  Thanks for any and all help.

You should not need to use ONR after applying gloss coat.  It is recommended to use opti-seal 1 hour after the last coat of gloss coat so that is perfectly fine.  It will protect gloss coat during the curing time.  It is not recommended to wash prior to at least 7 days. 

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I'll have a little more than a week between the applications for the car to get dirty.  That should take care of the Gloss Coat's curing time but I'll obviously need to wash prior to the Opti-Seal.  Would it be better to wash with WS or WW or does it matter.  I have both in my stable.

4 hours ago, Blue Dream said:

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I'll have a little more than a week between the applications for the car to get dirty.  That should take care of the Gloss Coat's curing time but I'll obviously need to wash prior to the Opti-Seal.  Would it be better to wash with WS or WW or does it matter.  I have both in my stable.

Personal preference on which to use.  

• 2 months later...

I would guess negligible because additional coats do not improve durability/hardness.  If the paint looks good, polishing isn't necessary,  just a thorough cleaning, possible decontamination.  You do not need to remove Gloss-Coat to reapply.

5 hours ago, No Soap said:

So Gloss-Coats bonds to itself also if you don't have to remove it before reapplying? This property isn't a normal thing for coatings, is it?

Remember when people asked if they can apply a second layer of coating and we said yes...:P

On 8/22/2018 at 9:56 AM, dale.m said:

Not sure if it’s already answered but how thick is one layer of gloss coat measured in microns? 

I would not worry too much about the thickness of not only Gloss Coat but other coatings.  It is negligible anyway. 

On 8/24/2018 at 9:09 AM, dale.m said:

Now if we layer glosscoat, would that multiply the micron measurement by two or be negligible?

also, when it comes time to reapplication in a year or two, is polishing necessary if the finish still looks good?

I believe you are wanting to know more about the hardness level.  I would not buy too much into the claims of hardness for any coating.  They can still be scratched and swirled just as easily as clear coat.  They are not impervious to damage.  Coatings do help with wash induced marring , which is going to happen compared to a wax or sealant. 

When it comes to reapplication this is where I am going to not agree with what was preciously posted.  In the time frame of 1-2 years the car is going to need a polishing.  I say that because one the longevity/durability is going to vary by the environment the vehicle is exposed to.  For example someone who lives in a dry climate will get more longevity/durability compared to someone who lives in a snowy environment where chemicals are used.  1 year actually seems about right for gloss coat anyway. 

In that time you will also have some marring.  That is going to happen the more one touches the paint.  Just the nature of the beast.  Good washing technique is important but you will notice areas that will need to be polished out eventually. 

Road grime is another thing to consider.  Road grime especially in areas that deal with a lot of rain will eventually contaminate the coating and degrade some of the gloss.  This is a great write up by Mike Phillips and he makes some valid points. 

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2018-new-car-detailing-how-to-article-by-mike-phillips/119815-case-against-multi-year-ceramic-paint-coatings-road-grime-surface-staining-daily-drivers-mike-phillips.html

So to reapply I would go ahead and repolish 1-2 years down the road and reapply.  You will remove defects and of course impart gloss with a polishing step. 

• 4 months later...

Any issues with applying gloss coat to a car and then having Xpel paint protection film applied over it? Will it reduce adhesion on the PPF? 

I ask because I bought a new car but availability to get the film applied is a month out and wanted to coat the car in the meantime.

Dale, no idea about Xpel PPF but as I understand it, the OPT PPF can be applied over Opticoat. 

One option could be to use Optiseal until the PPF is ready.  Ron has said Power Clean will remove Optiseal so there should not be any problems in removing it before application of the PPF.  A cheaper option is not do anything to the paint, 2 months without protection is not going to do very much.

Dr G always suggested coating under AND over film, but some installers have had issues with adhesion.  We know OPT PFF can be installed over Coatings, but can't speak for other brands.  It is important that the installer wraps the ends (like wheel wells).