ONRWW With Spray Gun

Hi,

Greetings from Singapore!

I have recently switched to using a full OPT product range for detailing my daily ride. My routine for a weekly wash (car has been treated with Optiseal and two layers of OCW since mid March 2014) is as follows:

1) Rinse dirt with water using a hose

2) Spraying the car with a Gilmour Foam gun containing 1:3 Optimum Car Wash at a dilution setting of C (as recommended by Chris in the other thread). Leave the foam to sit for about 3 mins.

3) Rinse off the foam

4) Spraying the car a second time with the Gilmour Foam gun containing 1:3 Optimum Car Wash at a dilution setting of C. Fill half a bucket with the foam gun spraying into it and topping the rest with water. Then using a MF cloth, clean the whole car down occasionally returning to rinse the cloth in the bucket.

5) Rinse off with a hose.

6) Using a California Jelly Blade, swipe off most of the water on the car.

7) Misting the car over with OID and thereafter, using another MF cloth to dry the whole car.

Now my question is, if I use ONRWW, can I do away with Step 2, 3 and 5 whilst still using the foam gun as the way to spray the ONRWW over the whole car?

And if that is possible, then can I do away with step 6 and step 7 so that drying the car with a MF cloth would be good enough?

Really appreciate your views on this. And to Chris, thanks so much - you have no idea how much your posts have helped a newbie like me understand how to use the products even all the way here in Singapore!

Regards,

Nicholas

My first comment would be stop using the California Blade to dry the car, right away. Those are awful, and will scratch the car. You should only dry with microfiber towels or air. Small bits of dirt and dust can be in the water, and as you drag the blade across the paint, it will introduce scratches.

With ONR you can do away with almost all of your steps. Rinse off heavy dirt if there is any, apply ONR to surface with your wash media of choice, dry off with MF Waffle Weave towel, There is no need for anything else.

Thanks guys for the response.

Yvan, can I still apply ONRWW with my Gilmour Foam gun? The reason I ask is because I find it a lot more convenient then using a bucket system with a grit guard. So what I would do is rinse off the excess dirt with water, then use the Gilmour foam gun and spray the ONRWW over the whole car before using a MF cloth to wipe down dry?

I don't think that's going to work. You need mechanical agitation to remove the dirt. You can't perform that mechanical agitation while you're drying, that will grind dirt into the paint. You need wet media for lubrication to remove the dirt, then you dry after. Using the foam gun is an interesting way to keep the surface wetter, but spraying the whole car at once is going to result in a lot of it drying or running off before you get to it.

I'd give it a try on smaller portions of the car at a time, but you still are going to have to wet your media, and rinse/change it when it gets dirty, then dry with a separate towel.

He doesn't want to produce suds with it, he wants to use the foam gun to apply the product to the car rather than using a bucket.

It still doesn't' make sense though, a foam gun waters down the product since it uses water to propel the soap through it. I would much rather recommend a pressurized sprayer or something to wet the car down. Here is an example:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RL-Flo-Master-4-pt-Hand-Sprayer-56HD/100164531

It still doesn't' make sense though, a foam gun waters down the product since it uses water to propel the soap through it. I would much rather recommend a pressurized sprayer or something to wet the car down.

I'm not sure they have Home Depots in Singapore. Regardless, the OP wants to try his foam gun, so why not let him? This may be the next new thing, the FWM (Faraway Wash Method). Yes, the foam gun waters down the product--don't we all water down the product when we use it? Let him experiment and if he doesn't like it, then he can get a pump up sprayer.

As long as the foam gun respects the 256/1 dilution ratio he will be fine. If the ONR is allowed to sit on the car long enough(5-10 mins) it will encapsulate the dirt and protect the paint paint from any marring. The process will work, but in reality I don't think it will save any time, and will use more product. For the proper dilution ratio ONR would need to be diluted 1/1 with water, then use the lowest (A= 1oz per Gallon or 128/1) ) setting.

Thanks guys for being so accommodating. Will try it out and report back on the feasibility... Thanks Yvan for giving the dilution ratios... Very helpful!

Yes, please let us know the pro's and cons of your method.

Ok guys, the method of using the Foam Gun does not work - Why? The primary reason is that when using the foam gun to spray the solution over the entire car, the solution does lift away a lot of the dirt particles even without agitation. This results in blackish like solution streaking down the other side before I can finish the side I am working on. The sight of the dirt particles had me worried as I do not know which crevice/horizontal surface they finally stop and would risk me marring the paint if I did not have any more fresh solution but continued to wipe it dry. Thus, in summary, I ended up using more prodct to overcome the worry, it takes more time because I'm constantly using the foam gun to add more product.

Ok, I meant to get back into this thread sooner and remind you that usually the Gilmour gun comes with the foam nozzle and also a fan spray tip which is used for applying non-foaming products or products that you don't want to foam up, like when they wash down the walls in the meat department in the supermarket with disinfectant.

Not sure if using that fan spray attachment would change your results though.

Archived