Optimum Wash

MoeMistry

Just got my batch of samples from Optimum and tried the wash. I was very pleasantly surprised. I loved the foam action I got and how slick it was to use. I liked the smell as well. All I did was wash my truck, rinse with DI water. The next day the sun was Glistening nicely and the paint had a very CLEAN look. Thumbs up so far. I'll try the no rinse wash this weekend. I have to say; I'm cringing a bit. But, it comes highly recommended by guys I respect. Any technique in particular for the No Rinse?

Hey Moe,

Glad the shampoo is working well so far. If you use treated water like DI, RO or soft water, it will produces volumes of thick, lubricating suds....also just for kicks leave your bucket untouched for about 2 hours one day after washing a car and I'll bet suds will still be there.

The other day I partially rinsed out my bucket and went home for the day. The next morning I got to my first car and I still had suds in my bucket!! If you use a pressure washer at all don't use it to fill your bucket up because you'll have suds pouring out in a matter of seconds and only a few cups of water.

In regards to the ONR....I use a minimum of 3 gallons to 3 ounces of ONR and a microfiber towel as my washing tool. If using DI water, which is preferred (tap water and softened water will also work with ONR but the polymers will attach or bind with the minerals in the water), you'll notice that the water feels some what slimy but don't worry this is a good "slime" :lol:

Now to ease your mind about this do this first. Slosh your mf towel around in your ONR water and then give it a light wring but don't press out all the water, instead give it a squeeze over the hood of your vehicle which causes the ONR to flush the surface and then use your MF washing towel (or MF mitt) just as you would if washing by traditional means. Do one half or one quarter of the hood and then use a separate MF towel to dry the area. Once you become more comfortable with using ONR you'll notice you use less but at first your initial mindset is...."Man, I need to really wet the surface down first"

You can do cars that are pretty dirty without a pre-rinse but instead of using only one wash mitt you may use 3 or more. The reason for that is that the ONR attracts the dirt and grime onto the wash mitt. I demonstrate this to people by using white microfiber towels for drying. I'll use the ONR on a panel they dry it and no dirt will show up on the white MF drying towel.

Ron and I carry two buckets with us each. One large 6 gallon bucket for washing and one smaller 3 gallon bucket for wheels, tires and wheel wells. The more you use ONR the more you're going to hate washing by traditional means and when you get the hang of it you'll be doing cars faster. Especially if you have help with you as you can No Rinse the exterior while they clean the interior.

For a quick "wash and wax" on a relatively clean car try this. Use the ONR as prescribed but just before wiping dry spray the panel with a light mist of Optimum spray wax and then dry it. Works fantastic!

Hope this helps,

Anthony

I've been using rinseless washes since the early 90s, made the switch to Optimum No Rinse over my previous brand due to superior slickness and better gloss after washing.

This is the technique I have been using pretty much since day one:

Steps:

1. Using a capful or approximately one half ounce of Optimum No Rinse (ONR), add it to one gallon of water in the bucket.

2. Clean your wheels, tires and fenderwells using the ONR mixture and your brushes, wipe dry with the terry cloth towels.

3. Dress the wheels and fenderwells with your tire dressing-and don't forget the fenderwells! Dirty fenderwells detract from an otherwise clean and shiny car!

The reason to do the wheels and fenderwells first is so when you apply the tire dressing, any overspray will be washed off the car during the washing step.

4. Empty out your bucket and refill with clean water, adding one half to one full ounce of ONR (less if relatively clean, more if really dirty).

5. Using a chenille covered foam pad or a wash mitt, wash one section of the car at a time and dry immediately using two microfiber towels, one for the first drying pass and making sure you leave a little moisture behind, use the other towel for a second drying pass. If you get the panel completely dry with the first towel, then don't go over it with the second towel because rubbing even a soft microfiber towel on dry paint can leave streaks.

Once you get the process down (it may take a couple washes to really nail it) you should be able to wash the body of your car in 20 minutes or less unless it is really filthy.

6. After washing open your doors, gas cap door and trunk or hatch and wipe down all the jambs.

Archived