Help! Stain on opti-coat pro

Guest nstea

Guest nstea

Hello,

I had opti-coat pro put on three weeks ago. Today I took bug guts on that had been on there for no more than a day. Now there is a stain where the bug guts were on my black finish.

I've tried to get the stain off with no success.

Why did this occur?

How can I fix the stain?

(below is a picture, the stain is just above the reflection of the light)

https://flic.kr/p/s137iD

Guest phyte0450

What have you tried doing? I find that you just need to see the the area and wipe it down again to remove these bug stains =)

Guest nstea

I just wiped the bug with a clean microfiber, bug came off, but the stain remained.

Then washed the car with ONR.

I'm convinced the opti-coat itself is stained

Guest phyte0450

I feel like the response to this will be the same as the response my question on water spots on top of opticoat. Basically, a little time and the sun (UV) should make it go away. Below is the link to the thread but would be interested to here on this for the folks at Optimum.

http://www.optimumforums.org/index.php?/topic/58153-Water-Spots-on-Top-of-Opti-Coat

Guest nstea

I feel like the response to this will be the same as the response my question on water spots on top of opticoat. Basically, a little time and the sun (UV) should make it go away. Below is the link to the thread but would be interested to here on this for the folks at Optimum.

http://www.optimumforums.org/index.php?/topic/58153-Water-Spots-on-Top-of-Opti-Coat

Thanks, that's reassuring. I guess my main concern is if the coating has not fully cured yet and it's stained perminantly... I'm wondering if I should have the installer reapply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

whatever happened with this?

i asked because i've been amazed at what disappears over time on coated paint. i had a bird bomb that i was SURE etched. it sat on the hood while the car was parked and i was in hospital having a son - when i wiped it off after coming back from that trip, i would have bet that what i saw was negative space from etching. so...i left it, because...i didn't care to correct it. if the coating was damaged, it was damaged. if the paint was slightly etched, ok, welp, i'll re-correct it sometime down the line.

within about a week, the area was perfectly smooth again. absolutely no evidence of the etching! so weird and reassuring.

now, yes, the coating was about a year old at this point, so about as cured as possible. but still.

my unprofessional opinion is that if you get something on a freshly coated stuff, take ONR and immediately wash it off. yes, you aren't supposed to wash a car that is freshly coated but bugs are particularly aggressive. the other option is to simply resist driving it and leave it to cure overnight. i'm kind of surprised an authorized installer would let you leave right after coating, esp. for a long distance drive. if they don't have IR lamps or something, most pros will need the car to cure overnight or at least for several hours.

I've been amazed at what disappears over time on coated paint.

I'm kind of surprised an authorized installer would let you leave right after coating, esp. for a long distance drive. if they don't have IR lamps or something, most pros will need the car to cure overnight or at least for several hours.

I've been amazed at what disappears on uncoated paint. My car had a bird etch that I saw on the lot between the time I decided to buy the car and I picked it up. I figured I would just have to live with it, but it actually disappeared (it was there after I washed the car, but gone later). I guess it's that whole business about paint being a porous matrix...it can absorb some of the chemicals from the bird poop/bug guts, and then it can release them.

As far as the cure time, is that the real world? Customers want to pick up their car and get on with their lives, of course they are going to let the customer take the car home rather than forcing them to leave the car overnight, for a host of other reasons as well.

Archived