Optimum Gloss-Coat surface preperation

Guest dustyniche

Guest dustyniche

This question is about preperation for using Optimum Gloss-Coat.
The first two steps of the instructions I've found on several sites say:
1. Polish paint with Optimum Polish II or Optimum Hyper Polist to remove any defects.
2. Clean surface with 15% IPA solution to remove all polishing oils, waxes and silicones.

Will either of the following work to prep the surface satisfactorily for the application of Gloss-Coat? I'm looking for an Optimum product to use instead of IPA in Step 2.

1. Wash > Clay > Optimum Hyper Polish > Optimum Paint Prep > Optimum Gloss-Coat
or
2. Wash > Clay > Optimum Hyper Polish > Optimum Opti-Clean > Optimum Gloss-Coat

Or is there another sequence of products that will prep the surface in preperation for Gloss-Coat?

Thanks for your suggestions.

I thought ONR was a no-no before a coating? Certainly Opti-Clean is (as shown in number 2 above). I usually use IPA after Hyper Polish just to be sure, I'll probably use the Prep Wipe in the future. Now that I think of it, I hope I'm not diminishing any primer-like characteristics of Hyper Polish by doing an IPA wipe, I do it on headlights before Opti-Lens more often than I do it on paint.

ONR (but not ONR + Wax) is not a problem and I was recommending a microfiber dampened with ONR. IPA is not a perfect solvent for Coatings and isn't necessary after Hyper Polish. Prep IS the perfect cleaner and can be used alone if the car only needs cleaning or as a wipe down after polishing.

Ron, it was always my understanding that Opti-coat etc could be applied after Hyper Polish and a wipe down without the need for IPA but the Opti-Coat.net does clearly stay to follow Hyper Polish with IPA. Is this just a 'belt and braces' approach to cover a wide range of skill sets but even if my guess is correct, does this not bypass one of the really great things about Optimum eg the high level of synergy

Archived