UV protection and Opticoat Pro

SteveInNJ

Chris, the marketing comments say "Dirt, moisture, oil, and UV radiation are all sealed out of the paint to maintain optimum gloss" http://opti-coat.net/opts/index.php?route=product/product&path=68_73&product_id=68

"Opti-Seal is a sealant with UV absorbers" Anthony Orosco http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=618

It is all too confusing for simple minded people like me

Excuse my ignorance, but what are all the benefits of applying Opti Seal if it doesnt provide UV protection? I can think of easier washing and drying, minor protection from bug guts and bird droppings. But thats pretty well it. I guess I think the biggest problem facing todays paint is UV rays. So im asking why would I choose Opti Seal over the car wax that has UV protection?

on a somewhat related note. Lets say you have two identical cars. Both are handwashed every week. One is regularly sealed, one never is. After ten years, do you think you will see a difference? Aside from easier washing and drying, what is the benefit of waxing or sealing a car, especially if the product doenst contain UV protection, which I understand most sealants dont. I guess I just see all the cars and trucks out there that I assume never get waxed, yet they still clean up great after 10 years. Hope this makes sense...

Thanks, Chris, I think that cleared up the confusion about Opti-Seal not having any UV protection.

Probably the lesson here as Mike Phillips likes to say (and I think he attributes this to someone else) "find something you like and use it often".

Optimum is not a marketing hype company, but when writing product descriptions it's easy to create confusion. In researching past UV claims I saw that Ron Harris mentioned it in the original description of Opti-Seal (2007, I believe). Not to split hairs or slide into semantics, but there's a difference between containing UV blocking ingredients (Opti-Seal does not) and being UV resistant (Opti-Seal is). Chris has done an excellent job in defining the differences.

• 1 month later...

All coatings have UV inhibitors and are far superior to ONR, ONRWW, OCW, and OS (which has no UV protection) in that regard.

Not to open this can of worms again but I was just listening to Optimum Synergy Podcast #4 where Dann is discussing UV protection with Dr. G, and Dr. G states that the product that will be the most benefit for UV protection is OCW...there was no mention of the coatings.

Not to open this can of worms again but I was just listening to Optimum Synergy Podcast #4 where Dann is discussing UV protection with Dr. G, and Dr. G states that the product that will be the most benefit for UV protection is OCW...there was no mention of the coatings.

Exactly what I said in another thread... Check it out below

http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=62698#entry90475

• 2 months later...

Ocw has added UV inhibitors thy can replenish those lost on paint from polishing or age.

Coatings and sealants hit the pause button on UV damage because they reside between the Rays and the paint and are more durable against oxidation damage caused by UV.

I'll keep saying this in as many different ways as I can until you get your head around it.

And so, because opti coat pro is suppose to "last forever", zero uv inhibitors in the OEM clearcoat will ever be used up?

So far this thread tells me:

- OCW = UV inhibitors + shield against UV

- Opti Seal = Shield against UV

- Opti Coat Pro = Shield against UV + UV inhibitors ? (Ron stated it has more UV inhibitors than OCW on page 1 of this thread)

And as stated before, OCW will permeate the OEM clearcoat, but won't do the same on Optimum Coatings

Archived