Optimum "X" Soon To Be Released!

Anthony Orosco

Thanks for info Anthony, will we be able to get a guide on how exactly this product works scientifically (simplified I hope) to justify the claims/usage?

You bet. I'm sure Doctor G. will come along as soon as time allows on his end and expound on a few areas.

Anthony

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a quote sent to me from someone who posted on another forum and the person making the statement I am rather shocked as I have (or perhaps had) a great deal of respect for the person who made the statement.

Now I don't care much for product wars but I need to say something here now. Has this person ever tried the product in question? No. Yet they claim it's "hype" and "slick marketing"? It would be best said, "In my OPINION this sounds like hype......"

This, from the same Dr G who claimed that Menzerna polishes swell paint?

Oh boy, more hype and slick marketing. Sounds the same as some of the "commercial" type sealants.

I'll sit this one out. Best of luck on this one.

Now in all honesty if I had commented on a certain product being "hype" and "slick marketing" without yet trying the product (unless the claims for said product went against all logic) I would be called out on it. Just as I would expect to be. It's like giving a review of a movie yet never having seen the movie.

As for the Menzerna issue swelling paint......I can't remember where Doctor G. ever stated that it did in fact swell paint. Rather what was stated (by me) is that we had some odd experiences with Menzerna 106 and I was asking others, both here and on Autogeek, if anyone else had experienced the same thing.

Here is the post I originally made:

A few years ago Dr.G, Ron Harris, Kevin Farrell and myself got together here in San Antonio for the Car Care Expo. I introduced Kevin to Menzerna Final Polish and he really liked the product and has since tried the various concoctions or formulas of the Menzerna finishing polishes.

One thing we (Kevin, Ron and I) agree upon is that the Menzerna polishes finished down so nice. Compared to Optimum Polish on black it seemed to finish down a notch finer so we used them ojn many of our dark colored cars. Ron and I in the past have noticed some marring on cars we had polished out and it left us puzzled as it was flawless when we had finished and no one had washed it since. So we left it to us missing some spots.

Just recently Kevin had the same experience. Polished out a black BMW using Menzera and it was flawless. Yet 3 days later marring appeared, or better "light scratches" that were not there after being polished, or so Kevin thought.

I recently polished out a black Carrera using Menzerna and it looked beautiful. The customer also loved it. Some days later when it was bright and sunny I asked him how it looked and he said it looked great but there were a few swirls in the rear fender areas.....I was shocked!

Well if you have experienced anything like this then the problem may not be you but rather it may be with some ingredients in the Menzerna formula. There may be a solvent in the formula that is causing the paint to temporarily swell thus giving the paint a false final appearance. Now we don't know this for certain as of yet but it's a hunch and my intention is to not slam Menzerna as it's a fine line of products but rather to set some minds at ease *IF* this be the case.

I've seen a few threads on other forums where people have stated that swirls came back after using Menzerna but that it was flawless when they had finished. So it's possible that it may temporarily swell paint. If I find out more I'll be sure to post it up.

Anthony

Now where did I ever state that Doctor G. said this (if I did make such a statement please post where as I will surely apologize)????????? Where is the statement that Menzerna swells paint stated as "fact"? I love and use Menzerna products and always said that FP finishes down better than Optimum. I also believe that Meguiars and their 105 have hit a home run and as soon as one gets the hang of its characteristics I don't believe there is a better compound, it's the one to beat right now. So it makes me wonder where does this animosity towards everything Optimum come from?

I think this same person called the Optimum OID "hype" also yet it seems to be making a great splash with those who use it. Great reviews also from the spray wax, the interior dressing, the Opti-Bond and the new Power Clean so could it not also be possible that the new "X" will also be a great product? Or it's also possible that it will be a great big flop......yet if it is a flop, how does that hurt or endanger those who never bought it? Perhaps it gives them the power to stand tall and say....."See, I told you so!"

If you don't care to try or buy a product then don't. But let's not become ignorant......it's car care products people. I would hope that those who love and use Optimum don't go on other forums and bash other products. That's not what detailing should be about.

Lastly, notice that no where did I seek to compare "X" with another product nor did I ever state that this product is the best, why? Because all car care products are an area of subjective matter and no matter how great or how horrible this product may be, not everyone is going to use it but rather they will continue to use those products they have come to love and feel comfy with. Yet some people, I guess, feel that if you're not using the products they use then you're an idiot.

Anthony

I've been getting some PM's and Emails and the number one question asked is....."What's up with the release form?"

In a nutshell, if this product is applied in the wrong manner or misused it can be an issue to correct it or remove it. This is why we spent such a long time testing this product in the area of application and set up time.

The very first car I used it on was my work truck and then on a clients Maserati ;) ....yeah pretty stupid for me to do now that I look back at it because I had no idea what this product would do or how it would react over time. The hood of my truck looked great.........in the shade!! Out in the sun you could see every swipe and line I made while applying it BUT again my hood looked great, taking on an odd 3D effect and it was pretty cool how it shed water, both from rain and hose.

I had to polish the crap out of my hood to level the product down and the same streaks were on the Maserati but not as bad because I had only applied it to a few areas. So back to the drawing board. This was over 3 years ago and those same streaks are still there on the Maserati hood.

Within the last few months, after several beta samples, we tried to spray the product on via an airbrush.....it worked great but it needed some changes (this is why it was intended for pros only because of the need to be applied with an airbrush, air compressor and water trap) but in the latest re-workings of the product we found that it could now be successfully applied with a hand held applicator. So now we feel it can be also offered to enthusiasts who are looking for a solid foundation to apply to their car and from there they can use their favorite waxes or sealants.

It also appears that "X" can add to the overall paint film. What this means is that you can correct your paint, which always removes paint thickness, in the microns, and then possibly replace what you removed. Allow it to bond for 24 hours and then wax or seal it as you desire.

What does this mean, if testing confirms this, for those with single stage paints? Well it means they can polish out their oxidized paint, apply "X", and basically add a layer of clear which just *may* slow down or stop further pigment oxidation. The reason I say "may" is because we just started testing this. We did apply it to a 1952 Speedster with single stage paint but at that time we didn't think to see if we could still pull paint.

Another question I get is, is this just like a product called X coat? I have no idea as I have never used X coat....I think that's the name of it?

Optimum "X" has only a slight filling ability and that's not the intended purpose of Optimum "X".

Lastly, it seems that many people consider this nothing but "hype", and they are free to think and state that but if I intended to make this a hype campaign I would surely post elsewhere but I have kept almost all comments about this product here on this board and sought to answer as best I can any questions concerning it.

This is not going to stop a speeding bullet nor reflect laser beams nor will it help with a receding hair line.....it's a paint coating. Oddly enough not many people question the price ;) I figured that would've been the main issue.

Thanks,

Anthony

“X” will not help my bald coconut? ;) I am way past the receding hairline issue - Darn.

On a somber note some people love to complain about everything they do not understand and this is new technology.

Dr.G, Anthony, Ron and others are working in and outside of the lab to make a better product and as Anthony mentioned they discovered by trial & error that “X” can be applied differently then they previously thought. Now this is good news. ;)

The person who discovered [by mistake] Post It Notes failed on their original research project. Now we use these pads of paper daily.

al

Here is an example of why we need a release form signed prior to purchase.

This is my wifes 04 expedition. I take lousy care of it hoping she will want to get rid of the gas guzzler.

Any how I spilled some of the coating on the trim unknowingly a couple of weeks ago. I tried a cleaner and my wifes fingernail to remove this stuff. It is on there. Looks like now I will have to treat the entire piece. I just hate wasting the product on this beast.

The production bottles will hopefully be leak prof.

1005467kh9.jpg

1005469bq0.jpg

• 1 month later...

Anthony,

Have you compound polished any cars that have had Optimum X applied to them? Is it recommended that Optimum X be removed first? I realize a compound will remove it but would removing Optimum X beforehand make compouding easier?

The reason I ask is I was reading a post from a detailer who stated that paint corrections he has done on cars that have had Zxilon or 5 Star applied to them are a nightmare and you pretty much have to throw away your cutting pads afterwards. Now I am not saying Optimum X is the same as Zxilon or 5 Star, just that it seems to be very durable and I am wondering if it would make future paint corrections difficult.

Can this product be applied on top of a clear bra? Any updated news of release date?

Garbud

Hello,

It can be, in theory, applied over a clear bra but I have never tested this myself. As for a release date? That is up to the legal end of things now.....trademark, copyrights, possible patent, etc.

I am just about out of the product myself so I hope it's soon :cool2[1]:

Anthony

Anthony,

Have you compound polished any cars that have had Optimum X applied to them? Is it recommended that Optimum X be removed first? I realize a compound will remove it but would removing Optimum X beforehand make compouding easier?

The reason I ask is I was reading a post from a detailer who stated that paint corrections he has done on cars that have had Zxilon or 5 Star applied to them are a nightmare and you pretty much have to throw away your cutting pads afterwards. Now I am not saying Optimum X is the same as Zxilon or 5 Star, just that it seems to be very durable and I am wondering if it would make future paint corrections difficult.

Hey Brent,

So far I nor Ron has had any issues with removal or buffing. As for removing X beforehand, we have found that machine polishing is the most effective method at removing and/or leveling down the coating. Optimum X is new technology so it should be very much unlike these other coatings.

We had a beta tester who uses another coating try out X and he stated it was much easier to work with and looked better so that was pleasing to hear.

Thanks,

Anthony

Will there be enough pre-cleaner to finsh up the bottle Godzilla I mean Product X.

How many applications can you get out of the small bottle of pre-cleaner?

The pre-cleaner will most likely out last the X as you won't need to pre-clean in every situation such as a new car or perhaps a r-application of X.

Anthony

Price, Price, ...the kids haven't talked about Price :confused1[1]:

"It will be sold in 2 ounce containers in a kit which includes a paint pre-cleaner and applicator and only sold to those which sign a release form.

Cost is not yet set but look for a price around $90.00 for 2 ounces. 2 ounces should be enough to coat 4 to 5 cars. Durability is far beyond any sealant. It can be layered and also topped with carnauba waxes and polymer sealants."

-1st post :thumbsupup[1]:

Just to clairify the debate on X-Coat VS OPTI-X. I have used both, and both finish with a similar result, that is a general new apperance, with a slight film build, you could equate it as spraying on a very thin layer of new clear coat. In my testing the OPTI-X goes much farther than the X-Coat, but as a concequebnce does not build as high a film thickness. The OPTI-X dries harder in the first hour, and after a week both are fairly equal as far as hardness goes. Both can be machine polished after correct curing times are respected. As for durability goes I can not give a proper assesment of the OPTI-X but the X Coat is a durable as a normal clear coat, and from my limited teating I can only assume that OPTI-X will perform quite well in durability. Cost wise in area treated(not liquid quantity) the OPTI-X should be adventageous, like the OPTI- SEAL a little geas a very long way.

Archived