Best way to remove wax prior to Optimum-gloss coat application?

pdthas

I just had my car recently polished and waxed by a professional detailer. I decided to do the optimum gloss coat myself. I know that most applications with this product usually involve polishing the car, light surface prep, and then opti-coat. Since I didn't want my car's paint to be unprotected until I put the coating on (about 1-2 weeks), I had the detailer apply a coating of wax on it knowing I would have to remove it before doing the optimum gloss coat.

What's the best way to remove this layer of wax prior to the optimum gloss coating application? I don't have access to a polisher so I was thinking of using a product like Griot's Garage Paint Prep (http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11135-Paint-Prep/dp/B004UQQVJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458007112&sr=8-1&keywords=griot+paint+prep). It is a spray on, leave for about 5 minutes and then wipe off. If I had to wash the car prior to applying the optimum-gloss coat, it would be done using a rinseless wash (Optimum No-Rinse Wash & Shine) since I'll work in a carport area without a hose bib nearby.

Thanks. So there is no need to polish the new layer of wax off with something like Optimum Hyper polish? I wasn't sure if a paint prep solution would be strong enough to strip all the wax off. I was going to wash it, clay it and use a paint prep as the final step before putting on the optimum gloss coat.

Thanks Lowe, I'm a little new at this but can light polishing be done by hand? I don't have a polisher or orbital to use for this. If I use a polisher, what would the steps be?

ONR wash>clay>polisher>paint prep>Opti-gloss coating?

thanks for your help

Since you had the car professionally polished, clay and a second polish should not be necessary. And yes, Prep Solution is strong enough to remove wax/seal. Do a thorough Prep job, wipe with a clean microfiber (the paint should squeaky clean), and you're ready to apply Gloss-Coat.

Thanks Lowe, I'm a little new at this but can light polishing be done by hand? I don't have a polisher or orbital to use for this. If I use a polisher, what would the steps be?

ONR wash>clay>polisher>paint prep>Opti-gloss coating?

thanks for your help

I will bow to the Ron's greater knowledge of the paint prep. Just in terms of hand polishing, whilst it will not be as effective as using a machine it can give reasonable results. Using something like Hyper Polish and a mild pad would remove any wax but if the paint prep will do the job then just use that instead

ok thanks, maybe I'll try both to be safe.

I didn't want to create a separate thread for this but is there anything wrong with applying optimum gloss coating outdoors (assuming it's not windy and not going to rain that day)? If it is ok, should it be applied when it is sunny or cloudy outside?

There are mobile detailers who apply Coatings out of doors all the time. Sunny or cloudy shouldn't matter, just watch for the flashing so you can go back over the surface (curing is dependent on heat & humidity). One caution is wind blowing dust or pollen onto the surface before it cures...you need avoid that.

Thanks for suggestions. A few more questions came to mind if you have the time.

If I wanted to add a second coating after the 1st, what's the minimum time to wait? I'd like to avoid any prep work in between coats so I'm wondering if I can just wait 1-2 hours and then add the second coat. Since about 5cc seems to be enough for a car, any problem with a first and second coating being about 5cc each?

Also, since the life expectancy of glass coat is around 2 years. Does the coating essentially wear down to where you have the clear coat surface back again? Any issues with recoating with another layer of opt-coat gloss?

Yes, you can add a second layer of Gloss-Coat an hour after the first. 5 cc should be sufficient but that depends on how heavy the coat and how much is covered. Eventually the Gloss-Coat is degraded to the original clear coat and you can reapply, but after prepping the paint again.

Thanks Chris. One other question. I applied the opti-coat today and noticed a high spot a few hours after it was applied. I tried to rub it off but it was too late. Since it not that noticeable unless you look at it under there right angle, I think I can live with it. If I want to fix it, is it possible to polish it out by hand?

If I wanted to leave it as, will it eventually disappear over time as the coating itself wears off over the years?

Archived