FOAM GUN & CAR WASH

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

So I went ahead and ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-75QGFMR-Foamaster-Adjustable-Cleaning/dp/B000XTH1GY , which holds 1 quart.

Since 1 quart = 32 ounces, I would use the following: 24 ounces of water and 8 ounces of car wash. Sound correct?

Also, while I'll already be adding an ounce of ONR to my wash bucket, is there any advantage to replacing 1 of the 8 oz of car wash with ONR? Just for that added 'oomph'...

Thanks again!

3:1 in the tank and use the 4:1 setting on the dial...yes, 24:8=3:1. No there is no advantage to adding ONR. You will NOT experience "oomph" you will just kill your foam which defeats the purpose of the "foam" gun. BTW, the foam gun should replace the wash bucket, you may use a rinse bucket for your wash media, or you could just rinse with the hose after a panel...but I'm unsure why you are blending 3 different wash methods?

method: cleaner/lube,how to keep wash media clean

1) two bucket method: wash bucket, rinse bucket

2) foam gun method: foam gun, rinse bucket or just rinse with hose

3) rinseless (ONR)method: ONR bucket, switch to clean towel when first is dirty.

Thanks Chris. I guess I was inadvertently combining 1 & 2. For ONR wash, that is totally separate and what I've been doing so far. Probably too late in the year now, but next spring I want to try some regular washes with the foam gun. I thought that even with using the foam gun that I would still do a 'normal' 2bm wash, and that the foam was just for added cleaning power/lubricity. But what you're saying is that if I use the foam gun, I just use my sponge or sheepskin mitt to clean a panel, then rinse off the sponge/mitt, clean next panel, etc..., and that no wash bucket is required? Is there a way to introduce ONR into the process since I may have hard water?

You're welcome. I think you have it now...the foam gun replaces the wash bucket and you just rinse the mitt with the hose. My "metal" gilmour has a flow thru setting so that I don't have to remove the foam gun to rinse the mitt. As far as the hard water, ONR has no place with the foam gun IMO, so just wash in the shade and the time you save with the foam gun over the 2BM and walking back to the buckets 20 times should help you to be able to dry before the hard water has time to evaporate and spot the car. That's the only problem I know of with hard water anyway...spotting.

Awesome, thanks again!

• 3 months later...

Hi again Chris. Is there a recommended wash media (sponge, mf mitt, sheepskin mitt) that's recommended for use with OCWC (either using 2BM or foam gun)? Or just personal preference? I know for ONR that a mf cloth (or the new wash mitt) are recommended, but I wasn't sure if there was anything suggested for regular optimum car wash.

Thanks again!

Hi Chris. Couple of follow-ups regarding the foam gun (Gilmour 75QGFMR) and optimum car wash.

I did a wash this weekend and put in 8oz of car wash concentrate, followed by 24 ounces of water. I tried to shake it up the best I could, but the cwc is SOOO thick (almost like a gel toothpaste). I then re-did it and tried using the hose directly into the gilmour tank to see if that would mix it better, but it just foamed up and overflowed the tank. Any suggestions on how to properly mix the cwc and water in the tank would be greatly appreciated.

On a related note, since I wasn't getting the foam I'd hoped for (I'm sure since I had issues as noted above), I ended up also using a wash bucket. My procedure in filling the bucket was: I put 2 oz of cwc and 1 oz of ONR into the wash bucket, then started filling directly with a strong spray from the hose (as I knew I had to do something to break-up the think cwc). It immediately began foaming like crazy, and by the time the foam reached the top of the bucket, I was not yet at 2 gallons of water (as indicated by a line I have drawn on the bucket). I then slowly filled it the rest of the way with water, but I lost some of the foam as it spilled over the edge. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or some other way to fill the bucket?

Thanks for all of the help to my probably dumb questions...

• 1 year later...

Chris,

I get the part about 1:3 of Optimum Wash in the tank but I dont see a 1:4 ratio setting on the AG Foam gun. It has five settings (1:128, 1:64, 1:32, 1:20 1:10)?

Drew

Actually I got the AG foam cannon/lance the tank holds 1L so about 32 oz and you had said 2 oz Optimum Shampoo/30 oz water. What if I only wanted to foam one small car? How much water/shapoo would I need?

Also, is optimum car wash PH neutral?

Thanks,
Drew

Archived