Optimum Hyper Compound dusting. What am I doing wrong?

bird-keeper

Hi all. I'm brand new to the world of paint correction and optimum. I got turned on to Optimum products from watching youtube videos after looking for ways to better protect my DD. Two of the products I've been using recently is Hyper Compound and Hyper Polish. Hyper Polish is great and I've had no issues with it. But the Hyper Compound is dusting really bad even though it is supposed to be a zero dust product so I must be doing something wrong. Hoping the experts here can provide some feedback.

Here's my setup: PC7424 with 5" backing plate and orange hex logic pad used on a speed of 5. When I start off with a new pad, I'll saturate the pad with my detail spray (Infinite use detail juice), work it in a little bit by hand and then spin the pad on speed setting 6 to get the excess liquid off the pad. I'll then add my single spray of Hyper Compound. After dabbing the pad around by 1.5'x 1.5' working area, I'll begin to work. I usually only get one full pass covering the entire work area before the compound looks like it starts to dry up and begin dusting during my second pass of my cross hatch pattern. I've tried adding one spritz of detail spray and continuing to work but it just makes it really runny for a bit, then dries up again. I'm also using little to no pressure on the polisher so I'm not sure what else to change/adjust. Any ideas where I may be going wrong?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you using the newest version of the compound, that is white? Or do you have one of the older versions, the orange or blue?

A couple of things about your technique. I never use detail spray to prime a pad, and it seems doubly unnecessary when using a spray polish. Similarly, the "dabbing" method is more for when you have dots of polish on the pad when you use a creme compound. Also, if you use "little to no pressure" with a PC 7424, you're likely to get "little to no correction", and may possibly fail to break down the (possibly) clustered abrasives if you are using the white compound.

Also, what are the temperature/humidity/sunlight conditions you are working in?

I believe the compound is white. I just purchased this compound maybe a month ago so it should be the newest version.

I've found that I don't really need to prime the pad when using the polish either, just the compound. How do you prime the pad when using Hyper Compound? Little to no pressure is what is recommended in all the videos and posts I've seen from Yvan Lacroix when talking about the hyper twins but perhaps that is only valid with a particular buffer.

I've been doing this work in my heat/cooled garage (approx. 70* inside with no direct sunlight on the car).

I haven't seen the videos you're referring to, but I'm going to presume they are using the ZenTool, which is a long stroke (21 mm) machine, and in that case, the "little or no pressure" would be the correct technique.

I haven't used the latest (white) compound, so I'm going to have to defer to someone that has. However, that's a pretty aggressive compound and you may not need that--what are you trying to correct? Is the Hyper Polish not correcting it? With a 7424 you will need some pressure, it may be that Hyper Polish with pressure will get you what you are looking for. There is also the Intensive Polish (orange) which is between the Hyper Polish and Compound.

Some excellent advice from Setec. I asked the Optimum Regional Managers for feedback and they suggested Optimum No Rinse instead of Detail Spray, reduce the speed (heat causes compounds to dust) and consider a waffle pad for better heat distribution. Feel free to contact them at:

Dann Williams - 619.952.4814

Yvan LaCroix - 1 450 775 0508

There appears to be so little information about the new compound on the internet other than a few comments here and there. There is a video with the Rag Company which shows the new Hyper Compound but it is (to my mind) their worst video and the guest presenter seems to make it all look like very hard work eg over 10 squirts onto a pad but does mention hazing of the surface

There appears to be so little information about the new compound on the internet other than a few comments here and there. There is a video with the Rag Company which shows the new Hyper Compound but it is (to my mind) their worst video and the guest presenter seems to make it all look like very hard work eg over 10 squirts onto a pad but does mention hazing of the surface

Ya mean tha Junkman video? Yep that was bad...

@bird keeper

Have you tried opt hyper polish on a hex orange pad first or did you go straight to the compound?

Always start with the least aggressive method and move on from there.

I haven't used the compound yet but do use the polish and its great stuff. Use a hard pad with it and it corrects quite well.

I learned to first spread it (hyper polish) on the area on the speed of 2, bump the speed to 5or6 and use pressure for the first pass and bump the speed down to 4 and ease on the pressure for 2 more passes. That worked well for me. It corrected 70-90% (I did another pass if I wasn't satisfied) of the swirls and finished perfectly.

For deeper scratches I use Megs ultimate compound. Ill soon replace it with Intensive polish as its almost empty now. I think that will be more than enough aggressive for my needs.

Yea, I believe they do use the ZenTool in those videos. I've seen another where they use a rotary and I know the technique is completely different for that vs a DA so it was not as helpful.

I am trying to correct severe oxidation, waterspots, and scratches on my 91 GTA. I have a picture but not sure how to attach. It is of a portion of the roof that I am currently working on. This panel turned out pretty well but it took a long time and several applications of the compound to get there (due to the dusting). This portion of the car has the original paint. I've also used the hyper twins on the rear spoiler, which has been repainted and only had some swirl marks (no oxidation) and still experienced the dusting.

@bird keeper

Have you tried opt hyper polish on a hex orange pad first or did you go straight to the compound?

Always start with the least aggressive method and move on from there.

I haven't used the compound yet but do use the polish and its great stuff. Use a hard pad with it and it corrects quite well.

I learned to first spread it (hyper polish) on the area on the speed of 2, bump the speed to 5or6 and use pressure for the first pass and bump the speed down to 4 and ease on the pressure for 2 more passes. That worked well for me. It corrected 70-90% (I did another pass if I wasn't satisfied) of the swirls and finished perfectly.

For deeper scratches I use Megs ultimate compound. Ill soon replace it with Intensive polish as its almost empty now. I think that will be more than enough aggressive for my needs.

I went straight to the compound simply because of how bad the paint is right there. If I could share a picture, I think you'd agree. For the parts of the car that have been repainted, I'll probably use either the Hyper Polish or the Intensive Polish because there's no oxidation or deep scratches to worry about (just some swirl marks).

Yes, it was the Junkman video. The Rag Company has made some really informative films and whilst Junkman is not popular with everyone, he has also made some useful videos but that particular one is just awful.

A&J, it would be interesting to hear your views on Megs UC versus the Intensive Polish. I have only directly compared M101 against the old version of Hyper Compound

Agreed. There are two videos from The Rag Company featuring Hyper Compound and one from AutoGeek but outside of that, there isn't a whole lot of info in video or word form.

A&J, it would be interesting to hear your views on Megs UC versus the Intensive Polish. I have only directly compared M101 against the old version of Hyper Compound

Someday my friend, someday. Ill probably buy it next spring because I don't expect doing much correction over winter.

You guys complain about not having much info on hyper compound...well there is zero information, reviews or mentions on Intensive polish!!! I wish someone would make a long comparison review with all three polishes (compound, intensive polish, hyper polish) on a neglected car using multiple pads. That would be interesting to read.

I am trying to correct severe oxidation, waterspots, and scratches on my 91 GTA. .

I think we're going to need that picture. (you're going to need to upload it into your Gallery using the tab at the top of the page, then use the "image" icon to insert)

That vintage car should be clearcoated, and usually "severe oxidation" indicates clearcoat failure, which may also be the source of your dusting problems.

That vintage car should be clearcoated, and usually "severe oxidation" indicates clearcoat failure, which may also be the source of your dusting problems.

Yes, it is clear coated and you're right about the clear coat failure. It's hard to see in the picture, but the clear coat is peeling and there is a basketball size "bald spot" towards the rear center of the roof where the paint is exposed. The front of the roof however does not have of this clear coat peeling or bubbling.

I'm a bit concerned when you say clear coat failure in reference to the severe oxidation though. Does failure mean there is no hope to stop the spreading of the clear coat peeling? I understand that there is no reversing the damage already done but my goal when doing this is to be able to stop the spread of the clear coat peeling by compounding, polishing, and sealing the oxidized/dull areas that have yet begun to peel/bubble.

Archived