Big Red Sponge or Blue Waffle Wash Sponge?

HAMBO

Welcome to the Optimum Forum. Either sponge will work for ONR washes - the Big Red Sponge is larger and has cuts that allow more maneuvering around trim and crevices, plus holds more wash solution. The blue sponge is a large traditional type and works well for general maintenance.

Welcome to the Optimum Forum. Either sponge will work for ONR washes - the Big Red Sponge is larger and has cuts that allow more maneuvering around trim and crevices, plus holds more wash solution. The blue sponge is a large traditional type and works well for general maintenance.

Thanks! I've oredered both and was going to try using the waffle for the side rockers / behind the wheels / lower parts of the car and use the BRS for the rest. Wondering whether anyone follows a similar routine?

Separate question on the BRS if I may, when using it is it best to apply it totally flat with the surface of the car, or to give the sponge a bit of a squeeze so as to "open" up the channel gaps a bit? I noticed that just looking at it flat the channels aren't very open so not sure how much dirt would get sucked up in there.

I don't think it is meant to suck a whole lot of dirt (just enough to be that bit safer) so I think it is enough to keep it flat with the surface. Pressure is not your friend, if you ask me.

Thanks. Just to be clear I didn't mean to grind it into the paint or put pressure towards the car, I meant squeeze like just grip the sponge tighter, which in turn spaces out the blocks a bit and creates more space for dirt to flow into. Not sure I'm explaining it well...

I'd suggest you're over thinking it - the BRS is a tool that should be used however you're most comfortable and get the best results FOR YOU. For example, some cut it in half for a better grip, some leave it soaking in ONR, others clean it in APC, etc. The best practice is what works for you.

I'd suggest you're over thinking it - the BRS is a tool that should be used however you're most comfortable and get the best results FOR YOU. For example, some cut it in half for a better grip, some leave it soaking in ONR, others clean it in APC, etc. The best practice is what works for you.

Probably right : )

Looking forward to trying it out in my next wash and trying some different techniques!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to trying both of these. BRS is definitely easier to use, but was glad to have the waffle around for some of the cruddiest areas. Will keep the BRS away from those!

Both seems to be very similar material, which is great. Very easy to squeeze compared to some other wash sponges. Good stuff!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brian on Apex Detail (YouTube) suggested with my usage it should last a couple of years - anyone think it might have been defective? -

I'm wary about buying another in case it happens again - Mrs. Smith thought it was a lot of money for a sponge. so I can see her being even less enthusiastic  if I order another.

Shame - no doubt that it works very well