Opti-Coat Confusion

BigDuke

Hello everyone. Last summer I had Expel Ultimate installed on the entire front end of a brand new car followed by coating the entire car in Opti-Coat Pro+. Well 9 months later I've decided that I want to wrap the rest of the car in Expel. Well.... I've been met with much confusion as to if the film will stick to the Opti-Coat+. Some Expel dealers simply said they won't touch it. Some say no problem. Some say they have to wax the rest of the car to remove some of the coating. With every single person providing a different answer I'm a bit lost on what to do. Personally I feel like if some sort of mild compound was applied this would help with adhesion but many installers are worried about the creases and edges where the film wraps around corners in areas like the doors, rear fenders etc. I guess I'm just hoping there's someone here with a more finite answer.  Thank you!

BigDuke, you're right, as coatings and films have become popular the confusion has grown.  Some may be due to the variety of products (coatings and films).  For example, Optimum has introduced a film that can be applied over Opti-Coat Pro with no issue.  And I know that Expel has been successfully used over OCP as well, but am not aware of what prep have performed.  If you polish (compound) the area before application, that should remove enough coating to ensure adhesion.  I've also heard that wrapping the film edges improves adhesion (that's from Dr G).

Archived