New guy here

Hi everyone.  Been checking out this forum for a little while now and finally decided to dive in.  I've accumulated various detailing products from various brands over the last couple of years.  Some have been OK, some have been a let down.  But the one that I keep going back to consistently is ONR.  It flat out just works without the hyperbole you get from a lot of other brands.  So I'm cleaning out the closet and making the switch to mainly Optimum products.  Which brings me to a few questions...

1.  Planning to purchase either GPS or Poli-Seal.  I do have a Porter Cable DA but prefer to work by hand most of the time (it is my zen time).  Would Poli-Seal be the better option?

2.  How frequently could I use GPS or Poli-Seal without damaging my clear coat?  Meaning, could I work either of them by hand say, 3-4 times per year without causing damage?

3.  Interior...which Optimum product would you recommend as a protectant for the dash/doors/center counsel/etc that has the most matte or factory appearance?  Can't stand the greasy look.

Thanks much.  Looking forward to contributing more frequently.  

Hy and welcome to the party :thumbsupup[1]:

1) If you are gonna work by hand go with poli-seal. You wont remove much paint by hand so dont worry. Poli-seal will act more like a paint cleaner than a abrasive polish. If you need a bit more correction use it by machine with a light cutting pad.

2) Use it as needed. If the paint still looks good after 6 months why bother polishing it unless you want to. Like I said before. Polishing by hand with poli-seal wont remove much if any paint.

3) If you have a bottle of opti-seal you can use that on the interior. It wont alter the look of plastics but will protect them. If by any chance opti-seal leaves any oily like residue behind just wipe it with a MF towel.

Have fun exploring everything Optimum ;)

The abrasives in something like GPS are very mild in compassion to a normal polish.  You will be removing a tiny bit of paint but it really is a tiny bit of paint, especially if applying by hand.  I would not worry about damaging the paint with either GPS or Poliseal.

As for the interior, if it has not been cleaned in a while then it is worth using Power Clean to get all the surfaces nice and clean.  You could use either Protectent Plus, which is the dedicated interior product or as A&J suggested, Otptiseal.  An alternative is not to use a dressing at all,  this will depend on your environment and car storage.  Using ONR (256:1) is a great quick cleaner or Opticlean is also good.

I have just used Optiseal for the first time and my initial fear was it would add too much gloss to my matt dash but this did not happen.  Not used a dressing in the last 12 months other than ONR or Opticlean but here in the UK, UV is not the problem it is in other parts of the world

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the advice.  Went ahead and pulled the trigger...ordered myself a new bottle of ONR and a bottle of Poli-Seal.  The weather here in Metro Detroit is supposed to be decent this weekend so it looks like my Saturday is planned out.  Should have mentioned in my original post that car is brand new (less than a week old) so the interior isn't trashed.  Just splotchy from whatever the prep guys used to clean it.  Planning to use ONR to give it a wipe down.

Still not sure which way to go as far as interior protectant.  Been watching (lots) of videos to decided which "look" I like.  Will let you know my thoughts on the Poli-Seal later on.  

4 hours ago, Focus Matteo said:

Still not sure which way to go as far as interior protectant.  Been watching (lots) of videos to decided which "look" I like.  Will let you know my thoughts on the Poli-Seal later on.  

You mean opti-seal...poli-seal is a polish!

Archived